re: Convert between different panorama formats

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
      On Wednesday, August 01, 2007 at 20:40, Bruce Anderson wrote:

      > I have been hunting for something that will convert a sphere (jpeg) into
      > a cubic strip (jpeg)

      A simple PTStitcher/PTMender/nona script would do:

      p w750 h750 f0 v90 u20 n"TIFF_m"

      i n"pano.tif"
      o f4 y0 r0 p0 v360
      i n"pano.tif"
      o f4 y-90 r0 p0 v360
      i n"pano.tif"
      o f4 y-180 r0 p0 v360
      i n"pano.tif"
      o f4 y90 r0 p0 v360
      i n"pano.tif"
      o f4 y0 r0 p-90 v360
      i n"pano.tif"
      o f4 y0 r0 p90 v360

      On script syntax see nona.txt in your hugin distribution or
      http://photocreations.ca/panotools/stitch.txt

      Script usage:
      http://wiki.panotools.org/PTStitcher_Readme#Scripting_PTStitcher

      best regards
    • pano.chris
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
        > A simple PTStitcher/PTMender/nona script would do:
        >
        > p w750 h750 f0 v90 u20 n"TIFF_m"
        >
        > i n"pano.tif"
        > o f4 y0 r0 p0 v360
        > i n"pano.tif"
        > o f4 y-90 r0 p0 v360
        > i n"pano.tif"
        > o f4 y-180 r0 p0 v360
        > i n"pano.tif"
        > o f4 y90 r0 p0 v360
        > i n"pano.tif"
        > o f4 y0 r0 p-90 v360
        > i n"pano.tif"
        > o f4 y0 r0 p90 v360

        I just discovered this exact script last evening online (weird). I
        tried running it on a 4000x2000 JPEG (equirectangular) using nona and
        it didn't work.

        I replaced the 'pano.tif' with the name of my JPEG file
        (stitch-blended-sm.jpg) and ran the following from the command line:

        path\to\nona.exe -o cube path\to\this\script.txt

        Here's the output I get:

        Panorama obj created
        output image size: 750x750
        Remapping : :
        0 %
        Remapping : loading stitch-blended-sm.jpg :
        0 %
        WARN: (.\PanoramaMemento.cpp:200) PT::Lens::getFocalLength(): Focal
        length calculations only supported with rectilinear and fisheye images
        Remapping : remapping stitch-blended-sm.jpg :
        0 %
        caught exception:
        Precondition violation!
        RemappedPanoImage::remapImage(): image sizes not consistent

        Anybody have any ideas on this?
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
          On Wednesday, August 01, 2007 at 16:36, pano.chris wrote:

          > I just discovered this exact script last evening online (weird).

          Not weird. It's a popular example by Ben Kreunen.

          > I tried running it on a 4000x2000 JPEG (equirectangular) using nona and
          > it didn't work.
          >
          > I replaced the 'pano.tif' with the name of my JPEG file
          > (stitch-blended-sm.jpg) and ran the following from the command line:
          >
          > path\to\nona.exe -o cube path\to\this\script.txt
          >
          > Here's the output I get:
          >
          > Panorama obj created
          > output image size: 750x750
          > Remapping : :
          > 0 %
          > Remapping : loading stitch-blended-sm.jpg :
          > 0 %
          > WARN: (.\PanoramaMemento.cpp:200) PT::Lens::getFocalLength(): Focal
          > length calculations only supported with rectilinear and fisheye images
          > Remapping : remapping stitch-blended-sm.jpg :
          > 0 %
          > caught exception:
          > Precondition violation!
          > RemappedPanoImage::remapImage(): image sizes not consistent
          >
          > Anybody have any ideas on this?

          nona apparently isn't 100% PTStitcher compatible any more. Try
          PTStitcher or PTMender instead (should be in the panotools
          subfolder). I hope Pablo will comment...

          best regards
        • Pablo dAngelo
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
            Erik Krause wrote:
            > On Wednesday, August 01, 2007 at 16:36, pano.chris wrote:
            >
            >> I just discovered this exact script last evening online (weird).
            >
            > Not weird. It's a popular example by Ben Kreunen.
            >
            >> I tried running it on a 4000x2000 JPEG (equirectangular) using nona and
            >> it didn't work.
            >>
            >> I replaced the 'pano.tif' with the name of my JPEG file
            >> (stitch-blended-sm.jpg) and ran the following from the command line:
            >>
            >> path\to\nona.exe -o cube path\to\this\script.txt
            >>
            >> Here's the output I get:
            >>
            >> RemappedPanoImage::remapImage(): image sizes not consistent
            >>
            >> Anybody have any ideas on this?
            >
            > nona apparently isn't 100% PTStitcher compatible any more. Try
            > PTStitcher or PTMender instead (should be in the panotools
            > subfolder). I hope Pablo will comment...

            Current versions of nona expect w and h of the input image.
            This is important if the script contains d and e parameters, because they
            depend on the size of the input image. In such cases the script cannot be
            applied to images of different size. This is why nona expects them.

            I haven't considered the special case for (d0, e0, g0 and t0) yet, so nona
            compains. I will add a check if d and e are 0, and then just use the width
            of the input image.

            ciao
            Pablo
          • pano.chris
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
              @Eric - Agreed, weird because I just ran into this script, had a
              problem with it and, viola, this message is posted.

              @Pablo - If I understand you correctly, I need to add the w and h
              parameters to the input lines like so:

              i n"stitch-blended-sm.jpg" w4000 h2000
              (4000x2000 being the size of the input image).

              This time I get no errors but the results aren't cube faces either. I
              get 6 750x750 images but they're all the same image -- each shows the
              entire equirectangular image, slightly warped (approx 360x185)
              centered within each image.

              -Chris
            • Bruce Anderson
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
                Chris,

                > in"stitch-blended-
                > sm.jpg" w4000 h2000
                > (4000x2000 being the size of the input image).

                >This time I get no errors but the results aren't cube faces either. I
                >get 6 750x750 images but they're all the same image -- each shows the
                >entire equirectangular image, slightly warped (approx 360x185)
                >centered within each image.

                You sound close! Watching this thread with much anticipation.

                Bruce
              • Pablo dAngelo
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
                  Hi Chris,

                  pano.chris wrote:
                  > @Pablo - If I understand you correctly, I need to add the w and h
                  > parameters to the input lines like so:
                  >
                  > i n"stitch-blended-sm.jpg" w4000 h2000
                  > (4000x2000 being the size of the input image).
                  >
                  > This time I get no errors but the results aren't cube faces either. I
                  > get 6 750x750 images but they're all the same image -- each shows the
                  > entire equirectangular image, slightly warped (approx 360x185)
                  > centered within each image.

                  This is due to a bug in the nona parser, which doesn't handle some scripts
                  where the parameters are mixed between i and o lines.

                  For the time being try the attached script:

                  ------------------------------
                  p w1280 h1280 f0 v90 u20 n"TIFF_m"

                  i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y0 r0 p0 v360
                  i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y-90 r0 p0 v360
                  i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y-180 r0 p0 v360
                  i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y90 r0 p0 v360
                  i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y0 r0 p-90 v360
                  i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y0 r0 p90 v360

                  This works with both PTmender and nona.

                  ciao
                  Pablo
                • Jeffrey S. Martin
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 2, 2007
                    > http://www.outerspace-software.com/bixorama.html
                    >

                    >I do not like that he actually starts by explaining how to >steel a QTVR
                    from a page which has
                    >disabled saving the movie.

                    Yes, this is awful.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 2, 2007
                      On Thursday, August 02, 2007 at 9:01, Jeffrey S. Martin wrote:

                      > >I do not like that he actually starts by explaining how to >steel a QTVR from
                      > >a page which has disabled saving the movie.
                      >
                      > Yes, this is awful.

                      I've mailed them yesterday - no answer so far...

                      best regards
                    • Pat Swovelin
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 2, 2007
                        On 8/2/2007 1:33 AM, Erik Krause rambled on about ...:
                        > On Thursday, August 02, 2007 at 9:01, Jeffrey S. Martin wrote:
                        >
                        >>> I do not like that he actually starts by explaining how to >steel a
                        >>> QTVR from
                        >>> a page which has disabled saving the movie.
                        >> Yes, this is awful.
                        >
                        > I've mailed them yesterday - no answer so far...

                        You're not holding your breath, right? (and there's NO smiley with this)

                        > best regards

                        Pat Swovelin
                        Cool Guy @ Large
                      • pano.chris
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 2, 2007
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pablo dAngelo <pablo.dangelo@...>
                          wrote:
                          > p w1280 h1280 f0 v90 u20 n"TIFF_m"
                          >
                          > i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y0 r0 p0 v360
                          > i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y-90 r0 p0 v360
                          > i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y-180 r0 p0 v360
                          > i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y90 r0 p0 v360
                          > i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y0 r0 p-90 v360
                          > i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y0 r0 p90 v360
                          >
                          > This works with both PTmender and nona.

                          Yes it does! Thanks Pablo.