re: Convert between different panorama formats

  • Bruce Anderson
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
      Would have been perfect if there was a Linux version!
      I have been hunting for something that will convert a sphere (jpeg) into
      a cubic strip (jpeg).
      Close!
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
        On Wednesday, August 01, 2007 at 20:40, Bruce Anderson wrote:

        > I have been hunting for something that will convert a sphere (jpeg) into
        > a cubic strip (jpeg)

        A simple PTStitcher/PTMender/nona script would do:

        p w750 h750 f0 v90 u20 n"TIFF_m"

        i n"pano.tif"
        o f4 y0 r0 p0 v360
        i n"pano.tif"
        o f4 y-90 r0 p0 v360
        i n"pano.tif"
        o f4 y-180 r0 p0 v360
        i n"pano.tif"
        o f4 y90 r0 p0 v360
        i n"pano.tif"
        o f4 y0 r0 p-90 v360
        i n"pano.tif"
        o f4 y0 r0 p90 v360

        On script syntax see nona.txt in your hugin distribution or
        http://photocreations.ca/panotools/stitch.txt

        Script usage:
        http://wiki.panotools.org/PTStitcher_Readme#Scripting_PTStitcher

        best regards
      • pano.chris
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
          > A simple PTStitcher/PTMender/nona script would do:
          >
          > p w750 h750 f0 v90 u20 n"TIFF_m"
          >
          > i n"pano.tif"
          > o f4 y0 r0 p0 v360
          > i n"pano.tif"
          > o f4 y-90 r0 p0 v360
          > i n"pano.tif"
          > o f4 y-180 r0 p0 v360
          > i n"pano.tif"
          > o f4 y90 r0 p0 v360
          > i n"pano.tif"
          > o f4 y0 r0 p-90 v360
          > i n"pano.tif"
          > o f4 y0 r0 p90 v360

          I just discovered this exact script last evening online (weird). I
          tried running it on a 4000x2000 JPEG (equirectangular) using nona and
          it didn't work.

          I replaced the 'pano.tif' with the name of my JPEG file
          (stitch-blended-sm.jpg) and ran the following from the command line:

          path\to\nona.exe -o cube path\to\this\script.txt

          Here's the output I get:

          Panorama obj created
          output image size: 750x750
          Remapping : :
          0 %
          Remapping : loading stitch-blended-sm.jpg :
          0 %
          WARN: (.\PanoramaMemento.cpp:200) PT::Lens::getFocalLength(): Focal
          length calculations only supported with rectilinear and fisheye images
          Remapping : remapping stitch-blended-sm.jpg :
          0 %
          caught exception:
          Precondition violation!
          RemappedPanoImage::remapImage(): image sizes not consistent

          Anybody have any ideas on this?
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
            On Wednesday, August 01, 2007 at 16:36, pano.chris wrote:

            > I just discovered this exact script last evening online (weird).

            Not weird. It's a popular example by Ben Kreunen.

            > I tried running it on a 4000x2000 JPEG (equirectangular) using nona and
            > it didn't work.
            >
            > I replaced the 'pano.tif' with the name of my JPEG file
            > (stitch-blended-sm.jpg) and ran the following from the command line:
            >
            > path\to\nona.exe -o cube path\to\this\script.txt
            >
            > Here's the output I get:
            >
            > Panorama obj created
            > output image size: 750x750
            > Remapping : :
            > 0 %
            > Remapping : loading stitch-blended-sm.jpg :
            > 0 %
            > WARN: (.\PanoramaMemento.cpp:200) PT::Lens::getFocalLength(): Focal
            > length calculations only supported with rectilinear and fisheye images
            > Remapping : remapping stitch-blended-sm.jpg :
            > 0 %
            > caught exception:
            > Precondition violation!
            > RemappedPanoImage::remapImage(): image sizes not consistent
            >
            > Anybody have any ideas on this?

            nona apparently isn't 100% PTStitcher compatible any more. Try
            PTStitcher or PTMender instead (should be in the panotools
            subfolder). I hope Pablo will comment...

            best regards
          • Pablo dAngelo
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
              Erik Krause wrote:
              > On Wednesday, August 01, 2007 at 16:36, pano.chris wrote:
              >
              >> I just discovered this exact script last evening online (weird).
              >
              > Not weird. It's a popular example by Ben Kreunen.
              >
              >> I tried running it on a 4000x2000 JPEG (equirectangular) using nona and
              >> it didn't work.
              >>
              >> I replaced the 'pano.tif' with the name of my JPEG file
              >> (stitch-blended-sm.jpg) and ran the following from the command line:
              >>
              >> path\to\nona.exe -o cube path\to\this\script.txt
              >>
              >> Here's the output I get:
              >>
              >> RemappedPanoImage::remapImage(): image sizes not consistent
              >>
              >> Anybody have any ideas on this?
              >
              > nona apparently isn't 100% PTStitcher compatible any more. Try
              > PTStitcher or PTMender instead (should be in the panotools
              > subfolder). I hope Pablo will comment...

              Current versions of nona expect w and h of the input image.
              This is important if the script contains d and e parameters, because they
              depend on the size of the input image. In such cases the script cannot be
              applied to images of different size. This is why nona expects them.

              I haven't considered the special case for (d0, e0, g0 and t0) yet, so nona
              compains. I will add a check if d and e are 0, and then just use the width
              of the input image.

              ciao
              Pablo
            • pano.chris
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
                @Eric - Agreed, weird because I just ran into this script, had a
                problem with it and, viola, this message is posted.

                @Pablo - If I understand you correctly, I need to add the w and h
                parameters to the input lines like so:

                i n"stitch-blended-sm.jpg" w4000 h2000
                (4000x2000 being the size of the input image).

                This time I get no errors but the results aren't cube faces either. I
                get 6 750x750 images but they're all the same image -- each shows the
                entire equirectangular image, slightly warped (approx 360x185)
                centered within each image.

                -Chris
              • Bruce Anderson
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
                  Chris,

                  > in"stitch-blended-
                  > sm.jpg" w4000 h2000
                  > (4000x2000 being the size of the input image).

                  >This time I get no errors but the results aren't cube faces either. I
                  >get 6 750x750 images but they're all the same image -- each shows the
                  >entire equirectangular image, slightly warped (approx 360x185)
                  >centered within each image.

                  You sound close! Watching this thread with much anticipation.

                  Bruce
                • Pablo dAngelo
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
                    Hi Chris,

                    pano.chris wrote:
                    > @Pablo - If I understand you correctly, I need to add the w and h
                    > parameters to the input lines like so:
                    >
                    > i n"stitch-blended-sm.jpg" w4000 h2000
                    > (4000x2000 being the size of the input image).
                    >
                    > This time I get no errors but the results aren't cube faces either. I
                    > get 6 750x750 images but they're all the same image -- each shows the
                    > entire equirectangular image, slightly warped (approx 360x185)
                    > centered within each image.

                    This is due to a bug in the nona parser, which doesn't handle some scripts
                    where the parameters are mixed between i and o lines.

                    For the time being try the attached script:

                    ------------------------------
                    p w1280 h1280 f0 v90 u20 n"TIFF_m"

                    i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y0 r0 p0 v360
                    i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y-90 r0 p0 v360
                    i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y-180 r0 p0 v360
                    i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y90 r0 p0 v360
                    i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y0 r0 p-90 v360
                    i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y0 r0 p90 v360

                    This works with both PTmender and nona.

                    ciao
                    Pablo
                  • Jeffrey S. Martin
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 2, 2007
                      > http://www.outerspace-software.com/bixorama.html
                      >

                      >I do not like that he actually starts by explaining how to >steel a QTVR
                      from a page which has
                      >disabled saving the movie.

                      Yes, this is awful.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 2, 2007
                        On Thursday, August 02, 2007 at 9:01, Jeffrey S. Martin wrote:

                        > >I do not like that he actually starts by explaining how to >steel a QTVR from
                        > >a page which has disabled saving the movie.
                        >
                        > Yes, this is awful.

                        I've mailed them yesterday - no answer so far...

                        best regards
                      • Pat Swovelin
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 2, 2007
                          On 8/2/2007 1:33 AM, Erik Krause rambled on about ...:
                          > On Thursday, August 02, 2007 at 9:01, Jeffrey S. Martin wrote:
                          >
                          >>> I do not like that he actually starts by explaining how to >steel a
                          >>> QTVR from
                          >>> a page which has disabled saving the movie.
                          >> Yes, this is awful.
                          >
                          > I've mailed them yesterday - no answer so far...

                          You're not holding your breath, right? (and there's NO smiley with this)

                          > best regards

                          Pat Swovelin
                          Cool Guy @ Large
                        • pano.chris
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 2, 2007
                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pablo dAngelo <pablo.dangelo@...>
                            wrote:
                            > p w1280 h1280 f0 v90 u20 n"TIFF_m"
                            >
                            > i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y0 r0 p0 v360
                            > i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y-90 r0 p0 v360
                            > i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y-180 r0 p0 v360
                            > i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y90 r0 p0 v360
                            > i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y0 r0 p-90 v360
                            > i w4000 h2000 n"pano.tif" f4 y0 r0 p90 v360
                            >
                            > This works with both PTmender and nona.

                            Yes it does! Thanks Pablo.