basic "simple" fixup, fulla and PTlens database

  • paul womack
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hello group - new member here.

      I want (initially at least) to use some of the
      utlities within panotools to make
      some "as good as possible" photographs
      with my humble Canon A630. This camera
      does at least have the merit of having
      full manual controls, although the manual
      focusing is a bit of a pain.

      My sketch-plan is to use CHDK
      to get bracketed (by shutter speed) RAW data:

      http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK/HDK_firmware_usage

      dcraw to get the data into a standard format:
      http://cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/dcraw.1.html

      Then use fulla
      http://www.panotools.info/mediawiki/index.php?title=Fulla
      to correct lens aberrations.

      Then mkhdr to combine these into a 16 bit tiff

      I have written a "noddy" perl script to drive
      mkhdr from the Exif using Image-ExifTool
      to get parameters.

      I do not plan to do any "artistic" tone mapping,
      but am simply using HDR to increase the dynamic range.
      I have also noticed than using HDR almost
      inevitably reduces noise.

      At this point I am hoping to have the best
      "starting" image my camera is capable of taking.

      Questions:
      If I follow the calibration procedure in
      http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/tca/en.shtml
      can I add this data as "custom" information to the PTLens
      database - I haven't found a way to do this.

      I would like to do this so that one set of calibration
      information can be found and used by all the panorama tools,
      saving me from using more manual GUIs/APIs.

      And if anyone has followed a similar road, any tips,
      scripts etc would be most welcome.

      BugBear
    • paul womack
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
        paul womack wrote:
        > Hello group - new member here.

        And (apologies) I forget to mention my computer
        uses Linux, which may well be a factor in software
        choice.

        BugBear
      • Pablo dAngelo
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
          paul womack schrieb:
          > Hello group - new member here.
          >
          > I want (initially at least) to use some of the
          > utlities within panotools to make
          > some "as good as possible" photographs
          > with my humble Canon A630.

          Ok, so you're not after panoramas, but "normal" images.

          > This camera
          > does at least have the merit of having
          > full manual controls, although the manual
          > focusing is a bit of a pain.

          Btw. the CHDK can map the focus control to the zoom lever. quite useful.

          > At this point I am hoping to have the best
          > "starting" image my camera is capable of taking.
          >
          > Questions:
          > If I follow the calibration procedure in
          > http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/tca/en.shtml
          > can I add this data as "custom" information to the PTLens
          > database - I haven't found a way to do this.

          The PTLens database does not contain information for TCA correction, it only
          contains lens distortion correction settings. As far as I know the A630
          uses the same lens as the A610 and A620, so you can probably just copy the
          A620 entry in the PTLens database.

          The TCA correction parameters need to be specified on the command line given
          to fulla.

          > I would like to do this so that one set of calibration
          > information can be found and used by all the panorama tools,
          > saving me from using more manual GUIs/APIs.

          I'm currently (slowly) working towards an improved lens database, but I'm
          not sure when this might be finished/available.

          ciao
          Pablo