Phase One P45 & PTGui

  • stevenatownsend
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hi

      Normally I use my Canon 5D and the 10.5 or 15mm lens for my panos but
      I also have a Cambo WDS and a Schneider 24mm lens/ and Mamiya AFD with
      a P45 digital back. I wondered if anyone has used a digital back with
      PTGui. The P45 is a 39 million pixel back and the lens is equivalent
      to a 17mm so will need about 8 images to output a cylindrical pano.
      Will the software cope with this in its highest resolution? Am I
      likely to come up against any other problems?

      I just installed one of my panos 6 metres long in a restaurant taken
      with the 5D and 'just' the 15mm lens which was pretty amazing in
      quality so not sure why I need to bother!!! I just have this kit, the
      P45 and I thought it might be awesome for larger installations.. The
      dynamic range of these medium format backs are much better also.

      Regards to you all

      Steve Townsend
    • jann_lipka
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
        Steve,
        I have been doing some 180 degrees PTGui panorama from my P45 + 35 H2 lens
        without any problems
        OTOH I have used in C1 processed TIFFS only 5120 pixels of whole 7230 height
        but I don't see why the whole width wouldn't work .

        IMHO The file looks more crispy and smooth but the difference is not Huge against 5D files .
        I would certainly give it a try if the image is to be printed really large .
      • Matthew Rogers
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
          Hi Steve,

          I used a Hasslelblad H2 with a P45 back to create a 600 megapixel
          spherical panorama as a test. I had to output each of the three rows
          individually and then used xblend to blend the final image. So I
          think PTGui on a decent Mac/PC should easily be able to handle it.

          Matt