My Pano Head

  • Roger Berry
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 30, 2007
      I've been doing some work to my pano head:
      http://CamelPhotos.com/pic/panohead4.jpg

      1.Shows using it handheld with a weight and string going through
      the center of the handle for centering and height control.

      2.Shows how the handle is in 2 parts and you can rotate the upper
      part with your fingers.

      3.Shows the rotation with your fingers.

      4.Shows the top part of the handle mounted on a pole, also goes
      on a tripod using one or both parts of the handle.

      5.Shows a special bracket for low shots where you can hold onto
      the pole up above and walk around staying behind the camera.

      6.Different view of the special bracket. This will also be good
      when I'm on the back of something, like the Camel Belly pano I did.

      Roger Berry
      http://CamelPhotos.com
    • Roger Berry
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 30, 2007
        Here's a photo showing how my pano head fits inside the camera bag
        along with some spare batteries and other things. Yeah it's small,
        lightweight and very easy to use.

        http://CamelPhotos.com/pic/panohead5.jpg

        Roger Berry

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@...>
        wrote:

        > I've been doing some work to my pano head:
        > http://CamelPhotos.com/pic/panohead4.jpg
        >
        > 1.Shows using it handheld with a weight and string going through
        > the center of the handle for centering and height control.
        >
        > 2.Shows how the handle is in 2 parts and you can rotate the upper
        > part with your fingers.
        >
        > 3.Shows the rotation with your fingers.
        >
        > 4.Shows the top part of the handle mounted on a pole, also goes
        > on a tripod using one or both parts of the handle.
        >
        > 5.Shows a special bracket for low shots where you can hold onto
        > the pole up above and walk around staying behind the camera.
        >
        > 6.Different view of the special bracket. This will also be good
        > when I'm on the back of something, like the Camel Belly pano I did.
        >
        > Roger Berry
        > http://CamelPhotos.com

      • Milko Amorth
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 30, 2007
          Hi Roger,

          > I've been doing some work to my pano head

          Very cool. I like your attachment spike for low ground shooting. Nice
          compact built. Excellent.

          While you are at doing those pics. Could you show me a raw foot print
          (nadir) extraction of a pano done with your pano head?
          Would you, please? I would appreciate it very much.

          Cheers, Milko

          --
          Milko Amorth
          360° Immersive Imaging

          PhotoScrapbook at Flickr.com/photos/vrdundee
          Skype me @ vrdundee
          Member of IVRPA.org
        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 30, 2007
            Ummm Mike, I imagine, its almost nothing... Well not imagine. It is. A nadir
            will show the rotator. Mr. Berry's rotator is as small as you can get,
            since it’s the same dimension as the monopod. For sigma shots it should be
            really neat. The only thing I don't see in that head, is some sort of grip
            for the bottom to prevent it slanting up and down. But in monopod
            situations, eyeballing should be fine. What would be interesting to know, is
            how roger fine tuned it.. shaving?

            Sacha Griffin
            www.southern-digital.com
            www.seeit360.net
            www.ezphotosafe.com
            404-551-4275
            404-731-7798

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 30, 2007
              Here's a look up and down. With the Sigma 8mm lens resting on the
              knob it will be pointing down slightly where you will be able to see
              my fingers holding the monopod or pole.
              http://CamelPhotos.com/pic/panohead6.jpg

              For handheld shots there is a bubble level built in the head so that
              you can have the camera below head level, use the string for height
              and centering as you move around it.

              There are 2 holes in the side bar, 1 is for a Sigma 8mm lens, the
              other is for a Canon 10-22mm lens. On this head I still need to add
              one more hole for my new Canon 5D, Nikon 10.5mm lens.

              I believe the nadir point for the Nikon 10.5mm lens is 4mm behind the
              gold ring?

              Roger Berry
              http://CamelPhotos.com

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin"
              <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

              > Ummm Mike, I imagine, its almost nothing... Well not imagine. It
              is. A nadir
              > will show the rotator. Mr. Berry's rotator is as small as you can
              get,
              > since it's the same dimension as the monopod. For sigma shots it
              should be
              > really neat. The only thing I don't see in that head, is some sort
              of grip
              > for the bottom to prevent it slanting up and down. But in monopod
              > situations, eyeballing should be fine. What would be interesting to
              know, is
              > how roger fine tuned it.. shaving?
              >
              > Sacha Griffin
              > www.southern-digital.com
              > www.seeit360.net
              > www.ezphotosafe.com
              > 404-551-4275
              > 404-731-7798

            • Milko Amorth
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 31, 2007
                Hi Sacha,

                > Mr. Berry's rotator is as small as you can get
                It certainly looks small........and so close to the lens as well!
                That is why I am interested to see a raw nadir footprint of a pano shot
                with it.

                I am on a footprintless mission, with monopod and tripod :-))

                > some sort of grip
                > for the bottom to prevent it slanting up and down.
                Do you mean the pitch position of the cam?

                > how roger fine tuned it.. shaving?
                I can not see any shaving beeing involved here.
                You pretty much have to have the right angles when you bend and drill on
                the npp. I have seen and extra hole on no.2 for more setback.

                Cheers, Milko

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 31, 2007
                  Here's a quick test I did using this pano head handheld with the 5D and
                  Nikon 10.5mm lens. I used the same hole that's set up for the Sigma 8mm
                  lens.
                  http://CamelPhotos.com/pic/gobi2.mov

                  Roger Berry
                  http://CamelPhotos.com
                • Milko Amorth
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 31, 2007
                    Hi Roger,
                    Thanks for the meridian shots.

                    > I believe the nadir point for the Nikon 10.5mm lens is 4mm behind the
                    > gold ring?
                    That is the npp at beta0°! 18mm from the lens vertex.
                    The further you go forward from that point the wider your usable beta
                    angle gets.

                    5D and 10.5 shaved
                    for 3shots beta 60° (120°angle of view) 11,2mm from the lens vertex
                    for 4shots beta 45° (90° angle of view) 14,2mm from the lens vertex

                    Not that this is of utterly importance shooting free handed or on a
                    monopod, but its a good to have if you decide to mount your head on a
                    tripod rotator or other indexed device for long exposures or closeup panos
                    like this one:
                    http://www.360image.de/test/strawberry.htm
                    Sure could have used your spike attachment though, as this one was done in
                    a pendullum fashion kind of way, by holding the inverted monopod loosely
                    between finger and thumb (the OK loop!) and maintain 2 inches distance
                    from the straw to the lens, turn with the other hand and release Luca
                    style (remote release between the teeth
                    http://www.360image.de/media/vr_ninja.jpg ). Hah! Only panoheads come up
                    with this kind of stuff.... I love it...and proud to be one.

                    Cheers, Milko

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 15, 2007
                      I've been doing some more work on my homemade pano head.
                      http://www.camelphotos.com/pic/panohead8.jpg

                      This may be a little bit confusing to most people looking at it for the
                      first time.
                      Is it right side up or upside down? Yes it is, well that is it works
                      both ways.
                      When I get back home next week I will finish a few little things that
                      are left to be done, put it through some test and show off just what
                      this thing can do.

                      Cheers,
                      Roger Berry
                    • erik leeman
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 16, 2007
                        It certainly looks interesting!

                        a green surgical sheet as background somehow seems more appropriate for
                        this fright-inducing 'device' ; )

                        Regards,

                        erik leeman