Looking for Pano software that will work with dual processors

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 30, 2007
      I have a MacPro dual processor and I just discovered that PTGui won't
      work with it. Is there another that someone can recommend that also
      doesn't have file size restrictions? Thanks
    • Robert C. Fisher
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 30, 2007
        PTGui should work, Rosetta should just open it and work.
        I thought that Joost had ported it over to universal code already.

        On Jul 30, 2007, at 10:27 AM, Michael wrote:

        > I have a MacPro dual processor and I just discovered that PTGui won't
        > work with it. Is there another that someone can recommend that also
        > doesn't have file size restrictions? Thanks

        Cheers
        Robert C. Fisher
        VR Photography/Cinematography
      • Bernhard Vogl
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 30, 2007
          Hello Michael,

          > I have a MacPro dual processor and I just discovered that PTGui won't
          > work with it. Is there another that someone can recommend that also
          > doesn't have file size restrictions? Thanks

          2 fairly well known Pano software tools for Mac than can stitch using
          all available processors (2 or more) are Hugin (latest development
          release) and Autopano Pro.
          But here's a fair warning:
          Although it might sound impressive using more than 1 CPU for stitching,
          you'll soon discover that the true bottleneck is somewhere else: memory
          and hard disk. Additionally, many tools like most CP discovery and image
          blending tools will only work with one CPU. So, i wouldn't put too much
          weight in that feature...

          Best regards
          Bernhard

          --
          Bernhard Vogl
          Vienna, Austria
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 30, 2007
            Hi Michael,

            Unfortunately there isn't any stitching software currently available
            that uses more than a single core. PTGui definitely works with any
            Mac but it's far slower than it should be. You can run more than one
            copy of PTGui at the same time to try and optimise the CPU usage.

            Matt

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 30, 2007
              It is Universal so I'm not sure why Michael said it won't work ???

              Matt

              On 30 Jul 2007, at 18:48, Robert C. Fisher wrote:

              > PTGui should work, Rosetta should just open it and work.
              > I thought that Joost had ported it over to universal code already.
              >
              > On Jul 30, 2007, at 10:27 AM, Michael wrote:
              >
              > > I have a MacPro dual processor and I just discovered that PTGui
              > won't
              > > work with it. Is there another that someone can recommend that also
              > > doesn't have file size restrictions? Thanks
              > >

              > Cheers
              > Robert C. Fisher
              > VR Photography/Cinematography

            • Roger Howard
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 30, 2007
                On Mon, July 30, 2007 11:16 am, 360 Precision wrote:
                > Unfortunately there isn't any stitching software currently available
                > that uses more than a single core. PTGui definitely works with any
                > Mac but it's far slower than it should be. You can run more than one
                > copy of PTGui at the same time to try and optimise the CPU usage.

                I've noted - purely anecdotally at the moment - that PTGUI on the SAME
                hardware runs much faster under Windows than it does on Mac OSX. If needed
                I can provide actual performance data, but from my end it's so observable
                I just don't bother to gather the data.

                Given other apps I run on both OS on the same hardware, I find this
                unusual - granted there are differences in the operating systems, but my
                experience with other apps doesn't show such a difference as between PTGUI
                on Windows vs Mac OSX.
              • Roger Howard
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 30, 2007
                  On Mon, July 30, 2007 10:27 am, Michael wrote:
                  > I have a MacPro dual processor and I just discovered that PTGui won't
                  > work with it. Is there another that someone can recommend that also
                  > doesn't have file size restrictions? Thanks

                  Works fine on MacPro's here. Also, what file size restrictions?

                  I think you should try to resolve the issues you feel you're having, as
                  they don't sound unsolvable to me (I use MacPros, and regularly output
                  enormous panos with PTGUI).

                  -R
                • Matthew Rogers
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 30, 2007
                    It's true that Autopano Pro does use 2 cores and spikes at around
                    250% CPU utilisation on a 4core and 8core system. Although it seems
                    to average around 150% during the render stage. All other tasks seem
                    to use around 100-120% of the 400-800% available. But this doesn't
                    even come close to the 390% and 790% CPU utilisation that two 3D
                    applications that I use max out at.

                    Also, hard drive read and write speeds of the major stitching
                    applications come nowhere near saturating an sata raid set-up.

                    > Hello Michael,
                    >
                    > > I have a MacPro dual processor and I just discovered that PTGui
                    > won't
                    > > work with it. Is there another that someone can recommend that also
                    > > doesn't have file size restrictions? Thanks
                    > >
                    > 2 fairly well known Pano software tools for Mac than can stitch using
                    > all available processors (2 or more) are Hugin (latest development
                    > release) and Autopano Pro.
                    > But here's a fair warning:
                    > Although it might sound impressive using more than 1 CPU for
                    > stitching,
                    > you'll soon discover that the true bottleneck is somewhere else:
                    > memory
                    > and hard disk. Additionally, many tools like most CP discovery and
                    > image
                    > blending tools will only work with one CPU. So, i wouldn't put too
                    > much
                    > weight in that feature...
                    >
                    > Best regards
                    > Bernhard
                    >
                    > --
                    > Bernhard Vogl
                    > Vienna, Austria
                    > http://dativ.at
                    > http://www.austria-360.at
                    > Tutorials: http://www.dffe.at

                  • Pat Swovelin
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 30, 2007
                      On 7/30/2007 10:27 AM, Michael rambled on about ...:
                      > I have a MacPro dual processor and I just discovered that PTGui won't
                      > work with it. Is there another that someone can recommend that also
                      > doesn't have file size restrictions? Thanks
                      By "file size restrictions" are you referring to a Field of View
                      limitation? If that's the case go here http://www.kekus.com/ and get
                      the tweaked version of panotools12 for Macs.

                      Pat Swovelin
                      Cool Guy @ Large
                    • Matthew Rogers
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 30, 2007
                        Hi Roger,

                        I completely agree. I still use my old Dual G5 running PTBatch to
                        process all my panos as it's still twice as fast as PTGui on the
                        MacPro. My G5 can output a 6000px x 3000px panorama in 1 minute 20
                        seconds. Exactly the same panorama takes around 2 minutes 50 seconds
                        on the MacPro. Other applications see a speed increase of between
                        300-500% on the MacPro compared to the G5.

                        I put it down to the awful cross platform development environment
                        used to port PTGui to OS X. I just can't see why the same code
                        (panotools) would be so much slower on a MacPro.

                        Matt

                        On 30 Jul 2007, at 19:42, Roger Howard wrote:

                        > On Mon, July 30, 2007 11:16 am, 360 Precision wrote:
                        > > Unfortunately there isn't any stitching software currently available
                        > > that uses more than a single core. PTGui definitely works with any
                        > > Mac but it's far slower than it should be. You can run more than one
                        > > copy of PTGui at the same time to try and optimise the CPU usage.
                        >
                        > I've noted - purely anecdotally at the moment - that PTGUI on the SAME
                        > hardware runs much faster under Windows than it does on Mac OSX. If
                        > needed
                        > I can provide actual performance data, but from my end it's so
                        > observable
                        > I just don't bother to gather the data.
                        >
                        > Given other apps I run on both OS on the same hardware, I find this
                        > unusual - granted there are differences in the operating systems,
                        > but my
                        > experience with other apps doesn't show such a difference as
                        > between PTGUI
                        > on Windows vs Mac OSX.

                      • Hans Nyberg
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 30, 2007
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:

                          > On 7/30/2007 10:27 AM, Michael rambled on about ...:
                          > > I have a MacPro dual processor and I just discovered that PTGui won't
                          > > work with it. Is there another that someone can recommend that also
                          > > doesn't have file size restrictions? Thanks
                          > By "file size restrictions" are you referring to a Field of View
                          > limitation? If that's the case go here http://www.kekus.com/ and get
                          > the tweaked version of panotools12 for Macs.

                          No please Pat, that can not be used for PTGUI.

                          The unlimited bundle for PTgui can be downloaded here.
                          http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/software.html