NYC proposing public street permit process +$1m Liability Ins for photographers

  • Dave 360texas.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 30, 2007
      The [NYC] Mayor's office of film,theatre and broadcasting in New York
      City is proposing a permit process for photographers. 2 or more
      people with camera must buy permit + $1m Liability Insurance policy

      Info here:
      http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/downloads/pdf/moftb_permit_regs.pdf

      There is a website

      http://www.pictureny.org/

      and petition against permits

      http://www.pictureny.org/petition/index.php

      I signed it #8,362. Urge anyone who is concerned about freedom
      to photograph in public locations to sign. Not necessary to live in NY.
    • Joel M. Baldwin
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 30, 2007
        --On Monday, July 30, 2007 2:54 PM +0000 "Dave 360texas.com"
        <texas360dave@...> wrote:

        > The [NYC] Mayor's office of film,theatre and broadcasting in New York
        > City is proposing a permit process for photographers. 2 or more
        > people with camera must buy permit + $1m Liability Insurance policy
        >
        > Info here:
        > http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/downloads/pdf/moftb_permit_regs.pdf
        >
        > There is a website
        >
        > http://www.pictureny.org/
        >
        > and petition against permits
        >
        > http://www.pictureny.org/petition/index.php
        >
        > I signed it #8,362. Urge anyone who is concerned about freedom
        > to photograph in public locations to sign. Not necessary to live in NY.

        Can you summarize the legal gobbdy gook in that PDF into one sentence!?

        How does this affect the normal tourist just off the bus/plane/train?
        If he just gets into town and starts clicking away what will happen?
        He's certainly not going to know anything about any permit process.
      • Pat Swovelin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 30, 2007
          On 7/30/2007 8:23 AM, Joel M. Baldwin rambled on about ...:
          > --On Monday, July 30, 2007 2:54 PM +0000 "Dave 360texas.com"
          > <texas360dave@...> wrote:
          >
          >> The [NYC] Mayor's office of film,theatre and broadcasting in New York
          >> City is proposing a permit process for photographers. 2 or more
          >> people with camera must buy permit + $1m Liability Insurance policy
          >>
          >> Info here:
          >> http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/downloads/pdf/moftb_permit_regs.pdf
          >>
          >> There is a website
          >>
          >> http://www.pictureny.org/
          >>
          >> and petition against permits
          >>
          >> http://www.pictureny.org/petition/index.php
          >>
          >> I signed it #8,362. Urge anyone who is concerned about freedom
          >> to photograph in public locations to sign. Not necessary to live in NY.
          >

          > Can you summarize the legal gobbdy gook in that PDF into one sentence!?
          >
          > How does this affect the normal tourist just off the bus/plane/train?
          > If he just gets into town and starts clicking away what will happen?
          > He's certainly not going to know anything about any permit process.
          And that's when the cops show up with ticket book in hand (to make more
          money for the city).

          Pat Swovelin
          Cool Guy @ Large
        • leonard_evens
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 30, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Joel M. Baldwin" <qumqats@...> wrote:

            > --On Monday, July 30, 2007 2:54 PM +0000 "Dave 360texas.com"
            > <texas360dave@...> wrote:
            >
            > > The [NYC] Mayor's office of film,theatre and broadcasting in New York
            > > City is proposing a permit process for photographers. 2 or more
            > > people with camera must buy permit + $1m Liability Insurance policy
            > >
            > > Info here:
            > > http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/downloads/pdf/moftb_permit_regs.pdf
            > >
            > > There is a website
            > >
            > > http://www.pictureny.org/
            > >
            > > and petition against permits
            > >
            > > http://www.pictureny.org/petition/index.php
            > >
            > > I signed it #8,362. Urge anyone who is concerned about freedom
            > > to photograph in public locations to sign. Not necessary to live
            in NY.

            > Can you summarize the legal gobbdy gook in that PDF into one sentence!?
            >
            > How does this affect the normal tourist just off the bus/plane/train?
            > If he just gets into town and starts clicking away what will happen?
            > He's certainly not going to know anything about any permit process.

            In principle, if a photographer with a companion were to set up a
            tripod and take pictures, they could be stopped and told they need to
            get a permit (free) and 1M liability insurance (expensive) to proceed.
            An amateur taking a panoramic series of pictures of NYC architecture
            or street scenes could easily fall in this category. So could amateur
            film makers as well as independent artists. The City says the rules
            are not meant to apply to tourists or amateurs, but if so, they should
            have been written so that was quite explicit. It might be one thing
            to require permits and insurance of large commercial operations which
            might seriously impact an area, but it doesn't seem reasonable to
            apply it to groups as small as two people or to small independent film
            makers.

            When you have broad, vague rules, the police aren't always clear about
            just whom they are supposed apply them to. In addition, private
            security guards may use such rules to harass photographers on public
            property.
          • Alex
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 30, 2007
              A very useful piece of paper to carry with you ...
              http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf
              Alex

              leonard_evens wrote:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Joel M. Baldwin"
              > <qumqats@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > --On Monday, July 30, 2007 2:54 PM +0000 "Dave 360texas.com"
              > > <texas360dave@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > The [NYC] Mayor's office of film,theatre and broadcasting in New York
              > > > City is proposing a permit process for photographers. 2 or more
              > > > people with camera must buy permit + $1m Liability Insurance policy
              > > >
              > > > Info here:
              > > > http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/downloads/pdf/moftb_permit_regs.pdf
              > <http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/downloads/pdf/moftb_permit_regs.pdf>
              > > >
              > > > There is a website
              > > >
              > > > http://www.pictureny.org/ <http://www.pictureny.org/>
              > > >
              > > > and petition against permits
              > > >
              > > > http://www.pictureny.org/petition/index.php
              > <http://www.pictureny.org/petition/index.php>
              > > >
              > > > I signed it #8,362. Urge anyone who is concerned about freedom
              > > > to photograph in public locations to sign. Not necessary to live
              > in NY.
              > >

              > > Can you summarize the legal gobbdy gook in that PDF into one sentence!?
              > >
              > > How does this affect the normal tourist just off the bus/plane/train?
              > > If he just gets into town and starts clicking away what will happen?
              > > He's certainly not going to know anything about any permit process.
              > >

              > In principle, if a photographer with a companion were to set up a
              > tripod and take pictures, they could be stopped and told they need to
              > get a permit (free) and 1M liability insurance (expensive) to proceed.
              > An amateur taking a panoramic series of pictures of NYC architecture
              > or street scenes could easily fall in this category. So could amateur
              > film makers as well as independent artists. The City says the rules
              > are not meant to apply to tourists or amateurs, but if so, they should
              > have been written so that was quite explicit. It might be one thing
              > to require permits and insurance of large commercial operations which
              > might seriously impact an area, but it doesn't seem reasonable to
              > apply it to groups as small as two people or to small independent film
              > makers.
              >
              > When you have broad, vague rules, the police aren't always clear about
              > just whom they are supposed apply them to. In addition, private
              > security guards may use such rules to harass photographers on public
              > property.

            • pedro_silva58
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 30, 2007
                not necessary to live in ny, but necessary to live in the us? they
                ask for a zip code...
                cheers,
                pedro

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Dave 360texas.com"
                <texas360dave@...> wrote:

                > The [NYC] Mayor's office of film,theatre and broadcasting in New York
                > City is proposing a permit process for photographers. 2 or more
                > people with camera must buy permit + $1m Liability Insurance policy
                >
                > Info here:
                > http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/downloads/pdf/moftb_permit_regs.pdf
                >
                > There is a website
                >
                > http://www.pictureny.org/
                >
                > and petition against permits
                >
                > http://www.pictureny.org/petition/index.php
                >
                > I signed it #8,362. Urge anyone who is concerned about freedom
                > to photograph in public locations to sign. Not necessary to live in NY.

              • Keith Martin
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 30, 2007
                  Sometime around 30/7/07 (at 16:34 +0000) pedro_silva58 said:

                  >not necessary to live in ny, but necessary to live in the us? they
                  >ask for a zip code...

                  I don't think that's a serious requirement, I think it was just put
                  together by a geographically short-sighted developer. I put "UK" into
                  the zip code field and it accepted that.