processor upgrade

  • maston67
    Message 1 of 68 , Jul 29, 2007
      Hi

      Im thinking of upgrading (processor and mobo) from a 2.4 GHZ Athlon
      primarily to get faster stitch speeds and a more responsive workflow.

      Im looking at the new processors and the fastest is the dual core
      A64 AM2 6000 which runs at 3.0Ghz. Now as ptgui is unsupported for
      dual-core does this mean Ill only get a 25% speed increase from
      2.4Ghz to 3.0Ghz or in the real world from say 4 minutes to 3 and a
      qaurter minutes.

      Hardly seems worth it.

      Seems a bit crap as Ive had this processor more than 3 years, or am
      I missing something.

      Thanks

      Masten

      www.virtutour.com
    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 68 of 68 , Aug 4, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:

        > On 8/4/2007 6:34 AM, Hans Nyberg rambled on about ...:
        > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@> wrote:
        > >> I did some more runs to see if the results were reliable.
        > >> Not very I'd say now. The spread is just to wide between runs with
        > >> identical settings : (
        > >
        > > Well I just discovered what seems to be a bug in either panotools or
        > > PTGui Windows.
        > > PTGui 7.2 Panotools from Joost and the fast pano12.dll from Jim Watters
        > >
        > > Try this.
        > > 1. Stitch using PTgui but warp with panotools. no fast transform
        > > 2. Just book the use fast transform and stitch again without
        > > restarting PTgui
        > > 3. unbook fast transform and stitch without restarting PTGui
        > > 4. Save the last settings and close. open again and stitch.
        > >
        > > You will see that the fast transform reduces time with around 30% but
        > > it does not change
        > > back to No fast transform before you save it and restart,
        > >
        > > On Mac the fast transform does not have any effect at all with
        > > panotools warping, only
        > > with PTgui
        >
        > Was this with PTGui 7.2 or PTGui Pro 7.2 (there may be a difference)?

        I do not have the Pro version, only tested PTGui 7.2