Re: [PanoToolsNG] Stitcher 5.5 Unlimited compared with PTGui 5.8 in auto-stitching mode

  • michel thoby
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2, 2006
      Le 29 juil. 06 à 19:47, Mr. Roger Howard a écrit :

      > On Jul 29, 2006, at 2:05 AM, michel thoby wrote:
      >
      >> Hi all,
      >>
      >> Stitcher Unlimited supports fisheye images. The first part of
      >> comparison tests with PTGui is reported here:
      >>
      >> http://michel.thoby.free.fr/PTGui5.8_&_ST5.5/SW_Compared.html
      >
      > Michel,
      >
      > Aside from cost and quality comparisons, the factor that interests me
      > most is in productivity. Is there any way you can report on two
      > aspects of this:
      >
      > 1) How much time did you spend, for each pano, setting up and editing
      > in the respective stitchers?
      > 2) How long does rendering take for each?
      >
      > Cheers,

      I initially intended to do such a test reporting but I quickly
      decided not to pursue:
      There are so many important impacting factors to take into account
      and so much variation (understatement) from one beta -build number-
      version to the next and sometimes in a few hours span, that I soon
      got conflicting and not repeatable results. I gave up definitively on
      this matter.

      I would certainly recommend to make oneself opinion with its personal
      working environment and by testing the demos as soon as they are
      available.

      Regards,

      Michel
    • michel thoby
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 2, 2006
        Hi all,

        The second part of the comparison tests report is posted:
        http://michel.thoby.free.fr/PTGui5.8_&_ST5.5/SW_Compared_Part2.html

        Regards,

        Michel

        Le 29 juil. 06 à 11:05, michel thoby a écrit :

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Stitcher Unlimited supports fisheye images. The first part of
        > comparison tests with PTGui is reported here:
        >
        > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/PTGui5.8_&_ST5.5/SW_Compared.html
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Michel
      • Oliver Mann
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2, 2006
          Hello Roger,

          as another beta tester of St5.5, I compared PTMac with the new
          Stitcher for speed and quality, using images of my S3 with 10.5
          Nikkor. My first results with automatic stitching led to fast
          results, but the quality was not good enough (classic stitchin errors
          at the seams). Since the high distortion tool for automatic lens
          correction doesn´t work for fisheyes, I made a camera preset by hand.
          I assembled a pano by manual stitching with control points. After
          adjusting, I exported the camera preset. Now I can use this preset
          for each new pano with the same lens, and the results are very close
          to what I get with PTMac.
          For rendering, I use "smart" - a new option which uses AFAIK enblend
          algorithms. Currently this takes much too long. A 8000 x 4000px
          rendering needs more than 2 hours on my G5. Doing the same with PTMac
          and Enblend (or Stitcher Multi-TIFF output and Enblend standalone)
          takes only 20 minutes, but at Realviz, they say that this will be
          fixed in the next version. There is also an option to use an external
          blending software, but there seems to be a bug, since I didn´t get it
          to work.
          In the current prerelease, there is still a lot of bugs. If Realviz
          is able to fix them, this will be a very good software for the
          professional workflow with fisheye images. Because of its WYSIWIG and
          automatic stitching capabilities, preparing the images for stitching
          is much faster as in PTMac. For good quality, a camera preset or
          template is recommended. Both PTMac and Stitcher can create the same
          quality, using enblend.

          Oliver

          Am 29.07.2006 um 19:47 schrieb Mr. Roger Howard:

          > Aside from cost and quality comparisons, the factor that interests me
          > most is in productivity. Is there any way you can report on two
          > aspects of this:
          >
          > 1) How much time did you spend, for each pano, setting up and editing
          > in the respective stitchers?
          > 2) How long does rendering take for each?

        • Roger Howard
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2, 2006
            On Wed, August 2, 2006 10:29 am, Oliver Mann wrote:
            > In the current prerelease, there is still a lot of bugs. If Realviz
            > is able to fix them, this will be a very good software for the
            > professional workflow with fisheye images. Because of its WYSIWIG and
            > automatic stitching capabilities, preparing the images for stitching
            > is much faster as in PTMac. For good quality, a camera preset or
            > template is recommended. Both PTMac and Stitcher can create the same
            > quality, using enblend.

            Awesome, this is what I was looking to find out. Since quality was
            determined to be similar, or close enough, the only other factor that
            matters to me is performance (productivity), as frankly if it saves me
            time over my existing process it will pay its steep price off quick enough
            to be worth it.

            I currently use PTGUI and, IMHO, that's already way more efficient than
            PTMac (what I used to use) for setup of new panos... I can have a pano
            ready to output in a few minutes at most, so Stitcher's GUI will be hard
            pressed to beat that. But if the rendering itself is painfully slow then I
            can't see it being worth the bother for now.

            Perhaps for PTMac users it may be worth a new look when the performance
            issues get solved?

            What other features may draw people in? Anything really neat?