RE: [PanoToolsNG] Maintaining EXIF info through workflow

  • Paul D. DeRocco
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 26, 2007
      > From: Shawn Steigner
      >
      > Is it possible to maintain EXIF info from input images to
      > PTgui output files? Specifically time/GPS info.

      That would be nice, even if it just arbitrarily chose the EXIF from the
      first image. I always take my final pano, take the original of the first
      image, resize the latter to match the former, layer the former on top of the
      latter, flatten it, and save it as the final result. What a drag--especially
      when I forget to do it.

      --

      Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
      Paul mailto:pderocco@...
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 26, 2007
        You could alternatively use something like ExifTool to copy the EXIF
        information from one of your original images and put it into your finished
        image.

        No affiliations, just a happy user.

        Cheers,
        Darren.

        http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

        )
        )That would be nice, even if it just arbitrarily chose the EXIF
        )from the first image. I always take my final pano, take the
        )original of the first image, resize the latter to match the
        )former, layer the former on top of the latter, flatten it, and
        )save it as the final result. What a drag--especially when I
        )forget to do it.
        )

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        19:45
      • Shawn Steigner
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 26, 2007
          Is it possible to maintain EXIF info from input images to PTgui output
          files?
          Specifically time/GPS info.

          Shawn
        • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 27, 2007
            If you are on Windows and you like something a bit more GUI then you could
            try Exifer:

            I've only used this one a few times.

            Darren.
            http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

            )You could alternatively use something like ExifTool to copy
            )the EXIF information from one of your original images and put
            )it into your finished image.
            )
            )No affiliations, just a happy user.
            )
            )Cheers,
            )Darren.
            )
            )http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
            )
            ))> Is it possible to maintain EXIF info from input images to
            ))PTgui output )> files? Specifically time/GPS info.
            ))
            ))That would be nice, even if it just arbitrarily chose the EXIF
            )from the first image. I always take my final pano, take the
            )original of the first image, resize the latter to match the
            )former, layer the former on top of the latter, flatten it, and
            )save it as the final result. What a drag--especially when I
            )forget to do it.

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            19:45
          • Ian Wood
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 27, 2007
              On 27 Jul 2007, at 07:34, Shawn Steigner wrote:

              > Is it possible to maintain EXIF info from input images to PTgui output
              > files?
              > Specifically time/GPS info.

              For the few people on the list using Aperture, there is an easy
              solution.

              By total coincidence, yesterday I made a little helper app which
              allows you to copy GPS info between catalogued images, and also from
              Google Earth to/from Aperture.

              <http://ianjameswood.co.uk/aperture/GPS2Aperture_beta.zip> (3.2MB)

              Ian
            • Ian Wood
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 27, 2007
                On 27 Jul 2007, at 15:51, Shawn Steigner wrote:

                > Thanks Ian.
                > Always nice to see someone offering a little helper app :)

                ;-)

                > Is there a way to maintain EXIF info through PTgui?

                Exposure data is already maintained, but no other EXIF data as far as
                I know.

                > If not, I'd like to make that a feature request for the future of
                > PTgui.

                Seconded. This has gone on my list of topics for the workflow session
                in Lucerne...

                Ian
              • Fulvio Senore
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 27, 2007
                  It seems to me that the last version of PTGui maintains exif data.

                  Fulvio Senore

                  Shawn Steigner ha scritto:
                  > Thanks Ian.
                  > Always nice to see someone offering a little helper app :)
                  >
                  > Perhaps I should have been more specific to my workflow.
                  > Specifically meaning PTgui.
                  > Is there a way to maintain EXIF info through PTgui?
                  > Something like Mr DeRocco stated, "even if it just arbitrarily chose the
                  > EXIF from the
                  > first image."
                  > If not, I'd like to make that a feature request for the future of PTgui.
                  > I hope this isn't an inappropriate place to make PTgui feature requests.
                  >
                  > Shawn

                • Shawn Steigner

                    > On 27 Jul 2007, at 07:34, Shawn Steigner wrote:
                    >
                    >> Is it possible to maintain EXIF info from input images to PTgui output
                    >> files?
                    >> Specifically time/GPS info.
                    >
                    > For the few people on the list using Aperture, there is an easy
                    > solution.
                    >
                    > By total coincidence, yesterday I made a little helper app which
                    > allows you to copy GPS info between catalogued images, and also from
                    > Google Earth to/from Aperture.
                    >
                    > <http://ianjameswood.co.uk/aperture/GPS2Aperture_beta.zip> (3.2MB)
                    >
                    > Ian

                  • Milko Amorth
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 27, 2007
                      Hi Fulvio,

                      > It seems to me that the last version of PTGui maintains exif data.

                      Just checked my latest pano batch (TIFF) with PTguiPro 7.0 and it shows
                      only the -outputfile path c:\ in the EXIF reader of IrfanView.
                      The project file does not show any setting for -exif either.
                      The only EXIF settings i have found in the options settings are in the
                      general tab for adding one image and suggest to add other images taken
                      within a time range threshhold using original date/time from EXIF header
                      of the image.
                      And then another in the EXIF tab to show EXIF dialog when adding the first
                      image.

                      The interesting thing is that if you open the Tiff file information of the
                      pano in PS you will find EXIF properties: DateTime original, DateTime
                      digitized,Exposuretime and Fnumber. The PDF and TIFF properties will
                      show:CreationDate, Creator: PTGui Pro (www.ptgui.com),ModDate
                      and some other info like resolution, size, compression, colorspace....
                      This info will then show when exported from PS as final jpeg in the exif
                      reader of IrfanView as well.

                      PTGui does not appear to allow more than that...Could not find anything
                      else. It would certainly be a nice feature to have.
                      I would would save time not having to do add other info in PS when editing.

                      Cheers, Milko

                      --
                      Milko Amorth
                      360° Immersive Imaging

                      PhotoScrapbook at Flickr.com/photos/vrdundee
                      Skype me @ vrdundee
                      Member of IVRPA.org
                    • Joost Nieuwenhuijse
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 27, 2007
                        Currently, the following metadata is copied to the generated panorama:

                        * Original date and shooting date of the first image in the panorama
                        * Camera make and model (only if identical for all source images)
                        * Exposure data: exposure time, aperture and ISO sensitivity
                        (only if identical for all source images)
                        * ICC Color Profile (only if identical for all images)

                        For rectilinear panos, PTGui also adds the FocalLength and
                        FocalLengthIn35mm tag.

                        For HDR panoramas in PTGui Pro, the 'blend planes' output contains the
                        exposure/iso/aperture of that particular exposure, for merging in
                        external software.

                        Other EXIF data is currently not copied to the output file. Metadata is
                        only written to JPEG and TIFF images, not to Photoshop files.

                        Adding GPS Exif data is on the wish list!

                        Joost

                        Shawn Steigner wrote:
                        > Thanks Ian.
                        > Always nice to see someone offering a little helper app :)
                        >
                        > Perhaps I should have been more specific to my workflow.
                        > Specifically meaning PTgui.
                        > Is there a way to maintain EXIF info through PTgui?
                        > Something like Mr DeRocco stated, "even if it just arbitrarily chose the
                        > EXIF from the
                        > first image."
                        > If not, I'd like to make that a feature request for the future of PTgui.
                        > I hope this isn't an inappropriate place to make PTgui feature requests.
                        >
                        > Shawn

                      • Luca Vascon
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 27, 2007
                          NHgps on UIQ 3.0 is in whishlist too!!!
                          ;-)
                          My M600i crying for it...
                          P800 is dying.... But I'd buy a P910 if NHGPS is not avaliable!!

                          Joost Nieuwenhuijse ha scritto:

                          > Currently, the following metadata is copied to the generated panorama:
                          >
                          > * Original date and shooting date of the first image in the panorama
                          > * Camera make and model (only if identical for all source images)
                          > * Exposure data: exposure time, aperture and ISO sensitivity
                          > (only if identical for all source images)
                          > * ICC Color Profile (only if identical for all images)
                          >
                          > For rectilinear panos, PTGui also adds the FocalLength and
                          > FocalLengthIn35mm tag.
                          >
                          > For HDR panoramas in PTGui Pro, the 'blend planes' output contains the
                          > exposure/iso/aperture of that particular exposure, for merging in
                          > external software.
                          >
                          > Other EXIF data is currently not copied to the output file. Metadata is
                          > only written to JPEG and TIFF images, not to Photoshop files.
                          >
                          > Adding GPS Exif data is on the wish list!
                          >
                          > Joost
                          >
                          > Shawn Steigner wrote:
                          > > Thanks Ian.
                          > > Always nice to see someone offering a little helper app :)
                          > >
                          > > Perhaps I should have been more specific to my workflow.
                          > > Specifically meaning PTgui.
                          > > Is there a way to maintain EXIF info through PTgui?
                          > > Something like Mr DeRocco stated, "even if it just arbitrarily chose
                          > the
                          > > EXIF from the
                          > > first image."
                          > > If not, I'd like to make that a feature request for the future of PTgui.
                          > > I hope this isn't an inappropriate place to make PTgui feature requests.
                          > >
                          > > Shawn

                        • Leo
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 28, 2007
                            > You could alternatively use something like ExifTool to copy the EXIF
                            > information from one of your original images and put it into your
                            finished
                            > image.

                            I use ExifTool. It works great once you have it set-up. My one
                            problem with it is that when you copy the exif data from the first
                            image then the image size is usually wrong. I am sure there is a
                            simple fix for that but I have not yet found it.

                            See an example here:
                            http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=536829343&context=set-72157594177444778
                          • rogerhoward@rogerroger.org
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 28, 2007
                              On Jul 28, 2007, at 10:30 AM, Leo wrote:

                              > > You could alternatively use something like ExifTool to copy the EXIF
                              > > information from one of your original images and put it into your
                              > finished
                              > > image.
                              >
                              > I use ExifTool. It works great once you have it set-up. My one
                              > problem with it is that when you copy the exif data from the first
                              > image then the image size is usually wrong. I am sure there is a
                              > simple fix for that but I have not yet found it.

                              The fix here is to just copy the metadata fields you want...
                            • Ian Wood
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 29, 2007
                                On 27 Jul 2007, at 09:20, Ian Wood wrote:

                                > By total coincidence, yesterday I made a little helper app which
                                > allows you to copy GPS info between catalogued images, and also from
                                > Google Earth to/from Aperture.

                                Beta 1 didn't update the data in enough places to be safe, if you
                                tried it out please download beta 3 and re-edit any images you edited
                                with it!

                                <http://ianjameswood.co.uk/aperture/gps2aperture_beta_3.zip>

                                Ian
                              • Carel
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 30, 2007
                                  Ian Wood-2 wrote:

                                  > On 27 Jul 2007, at 09:20, Ian Wood wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> By total coincidence, yesterday I made a little helper app which
                                  >> allows you to copy GPS info between catalogued images, and also from
                                  >> Google Earth to/from Aperture.
                                  >

                                  > <http://ianjameswood.co.uk/aperture/gps2aperture_beta_3.zip>
                                  >
                                  > Ian

                                  For those who do not have Aperture, I use RoboGeo to inject the GPS data
                                  into EXIF. RoboGeo also does a bunch of other tricks. Together with the free
                                  online service at http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ you can do some amazing
                                  things in Google Earth and Google Maps or any old topo map or satellite
                                  image.

                                  Carel Struycken
                                • Chris Thomas
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 2, 2007
                                    I'd like to start a discussion, I think we should all be having.

                                    As creative people, we all too often rush to have our work displayed,
                                    printed and reproduced.

                                    Sometimes, it's better to say NO! to people and organizations that "want to
                                    give you exposure" in return for little or nothing.

                                    Below is Article 11.. of Google's standard agreement.

                                    This is carte blanche for Google!

                                    Google escapes any legal responsibility for model & property releases, while
                                    getting the content provider

                                    to take full legal responsibility for everything... and paying nothing for
                                    content contribution!

                                    They repeatedly state throughout their "Standard Agreement" that they don't
                                    take copyright from their contributors (except as provided

                                    in Article 11)... below

                                    Bold emphasis is mine..

                                    "11. Content licence from you

                                    11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content
                                    which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By
                                    submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual,
                                    irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive licence to
                                    reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly
                                    display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or
                                    through, the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling
                                    Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked
                                    for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

                                    11.2 You agree that this licence includes a right for Google to make such
                                    Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom
                                    Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to
                                    use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

                                    11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps
                                    to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your
                                    Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such
                                    changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content
                                    to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or
                                    media. You agree that this licence shall permit Google to take these
                                    actions.

                                    11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power
                                    and authority necessary to grant the above licence."

                                    They take everything... but leave the image owner with their copyright. now
                                    much used and tattered

                                    In short, without property and model releases, the contributor is at great
                                    risk, especially as it appears that Google can design any kind of

                                    service at anytime in the future and use our content as they please.

                                    This is crazy for content providers!

                                    Thoughts on this.

                                    Chris Thomas

                                    Photographer

                                    cell... 403-615-1212

                                    In North America

                                    call... 1-800-870-5110

                                  • Yuval Levy
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 2, 2007
                                      Hi Chris,

                                      what "Services" does this "Standard Agreement" refer to?

                                      Chris Thomas wrote:
                                      > I'd like to start a discussion, I think we should all be having.

                                      yes, I agree that such issues should be discussed and that content
                                      producers should be aware of them.

                                      > Sometimes, it's better to say NO!

                                      indeed, better say an informed NO than an uninformed YES. Or an
                                      uniformed NO. So what "Services" are we talking of exactly?

                                      Maybe I am missing the point, but so far people on this list are using
                                      GoogleMap on their site, not the other way around. They are not
                                      submitting or posting their content to Google.

                                      Yuv
                                    • Chris Thomas
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 2, 2007
                                        Hi Yuv..

                                        Google uses "Services" as a catch-all phrase. They've defined it as any
                                        business activity they now,

                                        or in the future will undertake.

                                        In the instance I'm referring to; their "Service" is to the person or
                                        organization that wants to. for example. post a picture

                                        to .., Google Earth via "Panoramio"

                                        In return for the "Service" of allowing the content provider to "upload".
                                        They take perpetual rights and can even make changes

                                        to content and use it in " yet to be dreamed of " ways in the future.

                                        If you were to post an equirectangular image for regular pano-type viewing,
                                        for example. There's nothing to stop them, from

                                        chopping it up into conventional print format and selling prints or making
                                        "Tiny Worlds" or spherical icons, or making

                                        any other use of it.. in some future "Service".

                                        Consider this:

                                        You post a Pano at some point in the future. There's a guy with his mistress
                                        arm in arm on a street in Paris.

                                        His wife sees it and a divorce ensues. Google gets sued.

                                        Google sues you. because you didn't have a model release.

                                        Under Article 11. you've agreed to be responsible.

                                        Providers of creative content. beware!

                                        I'm not a lawyer, but as a professional photographer.

                                        I'm more sensitive to copyright and release issues than the average "google
                                        content provider".

                                        Cheers

                                        chris

                                        Chris Thomas

                                        Photographer

                                        cell... 403-615-1212

                                        In North America

                                        call... 1-800-870-5110

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Sep 2, 2007
                                          On Sunday, September 02, 2007 at 13:57, Chris Thomas wrote:

                                          > Google uses "Services" as a catch-all phrase. They've defined it as any
                                          > business activity they now,

                                          Why don't you simply tell us the URL? Ok, searching (with google ;-)
                                          reveals: http://www.google.com/accounts/TOS?loc=US

                                          best regards
                                        • Yuval Levy
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 2, 2007
                                            Thanks for clarifying, Chris.

                                            I did not know Google bought Panoramio. Last time I saw Panoramio the
                                            pictures in the service where such crap cluttering GoogleEarth that I
                                            decided to turn it off and have not missed it ever since.

                                            I don't know if Google's take over will do something to improve quality,
                                            but I 100% agree with your points about the (IMO unacceptable) terms and
                                            under such terms and conditions I am not inclined to post there.

                                            They could learn from Flickr (Yahoo) who has a more content producer
                                            friendly licensing which:
                                            1. reasonably restricts usage to the purpose for which the content was
                                            submitted or made available.
                                            2. gives content owners the right to terminate the license.

                                            I don't see much to discuss in Google's licensing terms posted earlier.
                                            As they stand they should be deal-killer for every serious content producer.

                                            Thank you, Google, for sponsoring hugin and freepv development, but NO
                                            THANKS, I won't post my content with you.

                                            Yuv