Re: Nikon D70 + 18-70mm kit lens + 0.5 adapter

  • John Houghton
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2006
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "s58894" <s58894@...> wrote:

      > I asumed that since the adapter goes in front of the
      > lens it wouldn't alter the point of no parallax

      Gus, The no parallax point is located at the entrance pupil, and the
      entrance pupil is the virtual image of the aperture formed by the
      lens elements in front of it. It follows that if you add another
      element (your adapter) in front, the position of the entrance pupil
      is likely to change. If the position changes a lot, this should be
      obvious by simply looking into the lens to view the entrance pupil
      directly. Point the viewfinder eyepiece at a bright light and stop
      down the lens to F/22 using the depth of field preview button. The
      bright spot you see is the entrance pupil. Your two eyes should
      enable you to judge its approximate position. You can even rotate
      the camera to and fro on the head and look for movement of the
      entrance pupil.

      However, you say that having taken sample photographs, there doesn't
      appear to be any evidence of parallax. Maybe the adapter lens is
      introducing unusual distortions that are difficult to correct with
      the optimizer. I would try taking a pano of a more distant scene and
      avoid placing control points on any nearby features. That should
      eliminate or minimise any parallax issues. See if a satisfactory
      optimization of the lens parameters and a good stitch can be achieved.

      John