Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: New development on the Flash front

  • Bert Vierstra
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
      On 8/2/06, Aaron Spence <aaron@...> wrote:

      > I've only been playing with it for 30mins, but I'm in lurv, baby ;)

      So am I !

      --
      best regards,

      Bert Vierstra

      http://www.360rage.com/
      http://www.bali3d.com/
    • Andrei Zdetovetchi
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
        Indeed, it works surprisingly well. But it still has a long way ahead... ;)
        I've tested with 1024px cube size. And I forced it to scale up to 100% in the browser. All I can say is that in "full screen", the moving speed si related to the cube size. The bigger the cube (images), the slower it gets. Overall the speed is acceptable. On the other hand, the smaller is the cube size, the more pixelated is the image.
        It still need some speed improvements, and the image quality in Flash (regarding bitmap images and operations) is still below other plugins I've seen.
        I am not sure that using Flash for full screen displaying is the best ideea, but it is very usefull in a webpage, at a decent size. And if the interactivity/scriptability of this viewer is improved, it could be used very well for complex virtual tours. Anyway, we still have to wait until Flash 9 gains a large number of followers... ;)

        Best regards,
        Andrei Z.

        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
          I've done a little more testing. It was pointed out to me that the
          window size was changeable and it is.

          I've done some tests, and I don't think the application is resizing
          the pano. Changing the flash dimensions is just scaling the flash
          window which isn't the same thing.

          Whatever it is doing, it doesn't work for large panos at the moment
          AFAIK. But I don't care about this as I've never considered Flash a
          fullscreen pano technology. (At least not until it can do true 3d with
          hardware acceleration like Shockwave (ie Spiv)

          Case in point.

          1) Here is CubicVR Flash at 2048px tile size (2.3mb) which is about
          8000x4000 equirectangular. Very pixelated and looks terrible. In
          fact I've done tests at 512, 1024 & 2048 tile sizes and the bigger the
          tile the worse it seems to get.

          http://www.pano.com.au/flash/cubicvr3/

          2) Here is the same pano in QTVR. 7500x3500. Only 800kb and it
          looks gorgeous. (opens fullscreen)

          http://www.pano.com.au/gallery/panos/noosa_virtual_tours/34qt.htm

          Here is the future development list:

          * individual stage size
          * right-click-menu (full configurable) for changing properties at
          runtime
          * switchable controlpanel visibility(on,off) and appearance
          * animatable texture(swf, video)
          * extend the interface by an overview-map for navigatable content
          * quicktime importer(.mov)
          * allow streaming higher resolutions

          I don't think the current version is intended for big panos.

          Aaron.
        • wardnet2001
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Shaw" <nodename@...> wrote:

            > http://cubicvr.popforge.de/

            Hi Alan (and all)

            Excellent new viewer, really, really good.

            I can see the all flash panos that are online in both Firefox and
            Internet Explorer, however I get a grey window when looking at the
            downloadable one from your site, when looking at it unzipped from my
            hard drive, this on both Firefox and Internet Explorer. I had to
            upgrade to Flash Viewer 9. XP Service Pack 2. Any ideas what may be wrong?

            Thanks, Bill.
          • Alan Shaw
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
              HI,

              First: it's not my site! The author is Andre Michelle, one of the gods of
              Flash.

              Flash Player 9 is indeed a requirement for this application.

              It's not working locally because of security restrictions in the player
              This swf is not permitted
              to access files on the local machine. I get the following error:

              cubicvr.swf cannot access local resource config.xml. Only
              local-with-filesystem and trusted local SWF files may access local
              resources.

              If you upload it to a web site and view it in your browser it should be
              fine.

              On 8/2/06, wardnet2001 <bill.wardnet@...> wrote:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Shaw" <nodename@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > http://cubicvr.popforge.de/

              > Hi Alan (and all)
              >
              > Excellent new viewer, really, really good.
              >
              > I can see the all flash panos that are online in both Firefox and
              > Internet Explorer, however I get a grey window when looking at the
              > downloadable one from your site, when looking at it unzipped from my
              > hard drive, this on both Firefox and Internet Explorer. I had to
              > upgrade to Flash Viewer 9. XP Service Pack 2. Any ideas what may be wrong?
              >
              > Thanks, Bill.

            • wardnet2001
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
                > Excellent new viewer, really, really good.
                >
                > I can see the all flash panos that are online in both Firefox and
                > Internet Explorer, however I get a grey window when looking at the
                > downloadable one from your site, when looking at it unzipped from my
                > hard drive, this on both Firefox and Internet Explorer. I had to
                > upgrade to Flash Viewer 9. XP Service Pack 2. Any ideas what may be
                wrong?

                > Thanks, Bill.

                A quick test by myself, in the downloadable zip example:
                Replacing the files in the Texture folder with my own files, then
                uploading to my own site, I can view the panorama. But not locally on
                my own hard drive.
                http://www.billward.org/cubicvr.1.0.0/index.htm

                Bill
              • Flemming V. Larsen
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
                  Due to security restriction you have to run it through a webserver.
                  If you use XP pro you might allready have it setup - XP Home doesn't have a
                  built-in webserver, but and easy package to install can be found at
                  http://www.foxserv.net/

                  - Flemming

                  > I can see the all flash panos that are online in both Firefox and
                  > Internet Explorer, however I get a grey window when looking at the
                  > downloadable one from your site, when looking at it unzipped from my
                  > hard drive, this on both Firefox and Internet Explorer. I had to
                  > upgrade to Flash Viewer 9. XP Service Pack 2. Any ideas what may be wrong?
                  >
                  > Thanks, Bill.

                • Andrew Nemeth
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
                    > New Flash v9 cubic VR player
                    >
                    > <http://cubicvr.popforge.de/>

                    Good news, and it works reasonably well on my dual-G4 powermac :?)

                    It also runs fine locally via the Mac OSX built-in apache server.

                    Now for the bad news... the image shown for the screenshot at:

                    <http://cubicvr.popforge.de/#screenshot>

                    ... was taken by me for Warner Brothers last year, and is used without
                    my/Time-Warner's permission.

                    Grrr. The web might be free, but intellectual property isn't.

                    Regds,

                    Andrew N.
                    <http://nemeng.com>
                    Blue Mountains Australia
                  • Aaron Spence
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
                      Stealing panos is bad news, have you emailed Andre about it?

                      Great work on Superman BTW. I heard the production cost something
                      like $200 Million US. I hope you got your fair share ;)

                      Aaron.
                    • Aaron Spence
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                        Just got this message regarding the new CubicVR viewer:

                        Dear receiver,

                        the Cubic-VR engine is sold. All donations will be transferred back.
                        More information soon at: http://cubicvr.popforge.de

                        kind regards

                        Anyone know who might have bought it, and if this means we can no
                        longer use it?

                        Aaron.
                      • Michael
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                          just received a message on cubic-vr /popforge.de

                          " the Cubic-VR engine is sold. All donations will be transferred
                          back. More information soon at: http://cubicvr.popforge.de "

                          Let's wait and see, who bought it and what plans they have.

                          Michael

                          ::: premiumpano :::

                          stoss@...
                          http://www.premiumpano.de

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Shaw" <nodename@...> wrote:

                          > http://cubicvr.popforge.de/

                        • Aldo Hoeben
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                            > Anyone know who might have bought it, and if this means we can no
                            > longer use it?

                            Wasn't me...
                          • Aaron Spence
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Aldo Hoeben <aldo@...> wrote:

                              > > Anyone know who might have bought it, and if this means we can no
                              > > longer use it?
                              >
                              > Wasn't me...

                              Pity

                              Do you know enough about flash to develop a similar viewer to Andres one?

                              Aaron.
                            • jeffrey
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                                I bet 2 beers that f o r d o x a a l bought it :-D

                                --

                                ---------------------
                                www.panopticpictures.com - Immersive Imaging

                                Re: New development on the Flash front
                                Posted by: "Michael" m-stoss@... m_stosz
                                Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:58 am (PST)

                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                                  On 8/11/06, jeffrey <panoramas@...> wrote:
                                  > I bet 2 beers that f o r d o x a a l bought it :-D

                                  I bet 3 beers for Immervision :)

                                  --
                                  best regards,

                                  Bert Vierstra

                                  http://www.360rage.com/
                                  http://www.bali3d.com/
                                • fierodeval
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Bert Vierstra" <vierstra@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > On 8/11/06, jeffrey <panoramas@...> wrote:
                                    > > I bet 2 beers that f o r d o x a a l bought it :-D
                                    >
                                    > I bet 3 beers for Immervision :)

                                    Me too :)