Re: New development on the Flash front

  • Aaron Spence
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
      http://www.pano.com.au/flash/cubicvr/index2.htm

      Here's my first quick demo using 512 pixel tiles. The result is
      fantastic.

      The viewer doesn't appear to support other window sizes yet apart from
      the default 384x258. That function (custom window sizes) along with a
      few other useful features will be done when some $$ have been donated.
      (250 Euro - which isn't much)

      I've only been playing with it for 30mins, but I'm in lurv, baby ;)

      Aaron.
    • Bert Vierstra
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
        On 8/2/06, Aaron Spence <aaron@...> wrote:

        > I've only been playing with it for 30mins, but I'm in lurv, baby ;)

        So am I !

        --
        best regards,

        Bert Vierstra

        http://www.360rage.com/
        http://www.bali3d.com/
      • Andrei Zdetovetchi
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
          Indeed, it works surprisingly well. But it still has a long way ahead... ;)
          I've tested with 1024px cube size. And I forced it to scale up to 100% in the browser. All I can say is that in "full screen", the moving speed si related to the cube size. The bigger the cube (images), the slower it gets. Overall the speed is acceptable. On the other hand, the smaller is the cube size, the more pixelated is the image.
          It still need some speed improvements, and the image quality in Flash (regarding bitmap images and operations) is still below other plugins I've seen.
          I am not sure that using Flash for full screen displaying is the best ideea, but it is very usefull in a webpage, at a decent size. And if the interactivity/scriptability of this viewer is improved, it could be used very well for complex virtual tours. Anyway, we still have to wait until Flash 9 gains a large number of followers... ;)

          Best regards,
          Andrei Z.

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
            I've done a little more testing. It was pointed out to me that the
            window size was changeable and it is.

            I've done some tests, and I don't think the application is resizing
            the pano. Changing the flash dimensions is just scaling the flash
            window which isn't the same thing.

            Whatever it is doing, it doesn't work for large panos at the moment
            AFAIK. But I don't care about this as I've never considered Flash a
            fullscreen pano technology. (At least not until it can do true 3d with
            hardware acceleration like Shockwave (ie Spiv)

            Case in point.

            1) Here is CubicVR Flash at 2048px tile size (2.3mb) which is about
            8000x4000 equirectangular. Very pixelated and looks terrible. In
            fact I've done tests at 512, 1024 & 2048 tile sizes and the bigger the
            tile the worse it seems to get.

            http://www.pano.com.au/flash/cubicvr3/

            2) Here is the same pano in QTVR. 7500x3500. Only 800kb and it
            looks gorgeous. (opens fullscreen)

            http://www.pano.com.au/gallery/panos/noosa_virtual_tours/34qt.htm

            Here is the future development list:

            * individual stage size
            * right-click-menu (full configurable) for changing properties at
            runtime
            * switchable controlpanel visibility(on,off) and appearance
            * animatable texture(swf, video)
            * extend the interface by an overview-map for navigatable content
            * quicktime importer(.mov)
            * allow streaming higher resolutions

            I don't think the current version is intended for big panos.

            Aaron.
          • wardnet2001
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Shaw" <nodename@...> wrote:

              > http://cubicvr.popforge.de/

              Hi Alan (and all)

              Excellent new viewer, really, really good.

              I can see the all flash panos that are online in both Firefox and
              Internet Explorer, however I get a grey window when looking at the
              downloadable one from your site, when looking at it unzipped from my
              hard drive, this on both Firefox and Internet Explorer. I had to
              upgrade to Flash Viewer 9. XP Service Pack 2. Any ideas what may be wrong?

              Thanks, Bill.
            • Alan Shaw
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
                HI,

                First: it's not my site! The author is Andre Michelle, one of the gods of
                Flash.

                Flash Player 9 is indeed a requirement for this application.

                It's not working locally because of security restrictions in the player
                This swf is not permitted
                to access files on the local machine. I get the following error:

                cubicvr.swf cannot access local resource config.xml. Only
                local-with-filesystem and trusted local SWF files may access local
                resources.

                If you upload it to a web site and view it in your browser it should be
                fine.

                On 8/2/06, wardnet2001 <bill.wardnet@...> wrote:

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Shaw" <nodename@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > http://cubicvr.popforge.de/

                > Hi Alan (and all)
                >
                > Excellent new viewer, really, really good.
                >
                > I can see the all flash panos that are online in both Firefox and
                > Internet Explorer, however I get a grey window when looking at the
                > downloadable one from your site, when looking at it unzipped from my
                > hard drive, this on both Firefox and Internet Explorer. I had to
                > upgrade to Flash Viewer 9. XP Service Pack 2. Any ideas what may be wrong?
                >
                > Thanks, Bill.

              • wardnet2001
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
                  > Excellent new viewer, really, really good.
                  >
                  > I can see the all flash panos that are online in both Firefox and
                  > Internet Explorer, however I get a grey window when looking at the
                  > downloadable one from your site, when looking at it unzipped from my
                  > hard drive, this on both Firefox and Internet Explorer. I had to
                  > upgrade to Flash Viewer 9. XP Service Pack 2. Any ideas what may be
                  wrong?

                  > Thanks, Bill.

                  A quick test by myself, in the downloadable zip example:
                  Replacing the files in the Texture folder with my own files, then
                  uploading to my own site, I can view the panorama. But not locally on
                  my own hard drive.
                  http://www.billward.org/cubicvr.1.0.0/index.htm

                  Bill
                • Flemming V. Larsen
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
                    Due to security restriction you have to run it through a webserver.
                    If you use XP pro you might allready have it setup - XP Home doesn't have a
                    built-in webserver, but and easy package to install can be found at
                    http://www.foxserv.net/

                    - Flemming

                    > I can see the all flash panos that are online in both Firefox and
                    > Internet Explorer, however I get a grey window when looking at the
                    > downloadable one from your site, when looking at it unzipped from my
                    > hard drive, this on both Firefox and Internet Explorer. I had to
                    > upgrade to Flash Viewer 9. XP Service Pack 2. Any ideas what may be wrong?
                    >
                    > Thanks, Bill.

                  • Andrew Nemeth
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
                      > New Flash v9 cubic VR player
                      >
                      > <http://cubicvr.popforge.de/>

                      Good news, and it works reasonably well on my dual-G4 powermac :?)

                      It also runs fine locally via the Mac OSX built-in apache server.

                      Now for the bad news... the image shown for the screenshot at:

                      <http://cubicvr.popforge.de/#screenshot>

                      ... was taken by me for Warner Brothers last year, and is used without
                      my/Time-Warner's permission.

                      Grrr. The web might be free, but intellectual property isn't.

                      Regds,

                      Andrew N.
                      <http://nemeng.com>
                      Blue Mountains Australia
                    • Aaron Spence
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
                        Stealing panos is bad news, have you emailed Andre about it?

                        Great work on Superman BTW. I heard the production cost something
                        like $200 Million US. I hope you got your fair share ;)

                        Aaron.
                      • Aaron Spence
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                          Just got this message regarding the new CubicVR viewer:

                          Dear receiver,

                          the Cubic-VR engine is sold. All donations will be transferred back.
                          More information soon at: http://cubicvr.popforge.de

                          kind regards

                          Anyone know who might have bought it, and if this means we can no
                          longer use it?

                          Aaron.
                        • Michael
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                            just received a message on cubic-vr /popforge.de

                            " the Cubic-VR engine is sold. All donations will be transferred
                            back. More information soon at: http://cubicvr.popforge.de "

                            Let's wait and see, who bought it and what plans they have.

                            Michael

                            ::: premiumpano :::

                            stoss@...
                            http://www.premiumpano.de

                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Shaw" <nodename@...> wrote:

                            > http://cubicvr.popforge.de/

                          • Aldo Hoeben
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                              > Anyone know who might have bought it, and if this means we can no
                              > longer use it?

                              Wasn't me...
                            • Aaron Spence
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Aldo Hoeben <aldo@...> wrote:

                                > > Anyone know who might have bought it, and if this means we can no
                                > > longer use it?
                                >
                                > Wasn't me...

                                Pity

                                Do you know enough about flash to develop a similar viewer to Andres one?

                                Aaron.
                              • jeffrey
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                                  I bet 2 beers that f o r d o x a a l bought it :-D

                                  --

                                  ---------------------
                                  www.panopticpictures.com - Immersive Imaging

                                  Re: New development on the Flash front
                                  Posted by: "Michael" m-stoss@... m_stosz
                                  Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:58 am (PST)

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                                    On 8/11/06, jeffrey <panoramas@...> wrote:
                                    > I bet 2 beers that f o r d o x a a l bought it :-D

                                    I bet 3 beers for Immervision :)

                                    --
                                    best regards,

                                    Bert Vierstra

                                    http://www.360rage.com/
                                    http://www.bali3d.com/
                                  • fierodeval
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Bert Vierstra" <vierstra@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > On 8/11/06, jeffrey <panoramas@...> wrote:
                                      > > I bet 2 beers that f o r d o x a a l bought it :-D
                                      >
                                      > I bet 3 beers for Immervision :)

                                      Me too :)