Re: [PanoToolsNG] New development on the Flash front

  • Bert Vierstra
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 1, 2006
      On 8/2/06, Alan Shaw <nodename@...> wrote:
      > http://cubicvr.popforge.de/

      Very Nice !

      --
      best regards,

      Bert Vierstra

      http://www.360rage.com/
      http://www.bali3d.com/
    • Nick Crossland
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
        That's the best cubic Flash player I've seen so far. How does perform when
        scaled up to full screen?

        On 02/08/06, Alan Shaw <nodename@...> wrote:

        > http://cubicvr.popforge.de/

      • Aaron Spence
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
          http://www.pano.com.au/flash/cubicvr/index2.htm

          Here's my first quick demo using 512 pixel tiles. The result is
          fantastic.

          The viewer doesn't appear to support other window sizes yet apart from
          the default 384x258. That function (custom window sizes) along with a
          few other useful features will be done when some $$ have been donated.
          (250 Euro - which isn't much)

          I've only been playing with it for 30mins, but I'm in lurv, baby ;)

          Aaron.
        • Bert Vierstra
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
            On 8/2/06, Aaron Spence <aaron@...> wrote:

            > I've only been playing with it for 30mins, but I'm in lurv, baby ;)

            So am I !

            --
            best regards,

            Bert Vierstra

            http://www.360rage.com/
            http://www.bali3d.com/
          • Andrei Zdetovetchi
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
              Indeed, it works surprisingly well. But it still has a long way ahead... ;)
              I've tested with 1024px cube size. And I forced it to scale up to 100% in the browser. All I can say is that in "full screen", the moving speed si related to the cube size. The bigger the cube (images), the slower it gets. Overall the speed is acceptable. On the other hand, the smaller is the cube size, the more pixelated is the image.
              It still need some speed improvements, and the image quality in Flash (regarding bitmap images and operations) is still below other plugins I've seen.
              I am not sure that using Flash for full screen displaying is the best ideea, but it is very usefull in a webpage, at a decent size. And if the interactivity/scriptability of this viewer is improved, it could be used very well for complex virtual tours. Anyway, we still have to wait until Flash 9 gains a large number of followers... ;)

              Best regards,
              Andrei Z.

              On 02/08/06, Alan Shaw <nodename@gmail. com> wrote:

              > http://cubicvr. popforge. de/

            • Aaron Spence
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
                I've done a little more testing. It was pointed out to me that the
                window size was changeable and it is.

                I've done some tests, and I don't think the application is resizing
                the pano. Changing the flash dimensions is just scaling the flash
                window which isn't the same thing.

                Whatever it is doing, it doesn't work for large panos at the moment
                AFAIK. But I don't care about this as I've never considered Flash a
                fullscreen pano technology. (At least not until it can do true 3d with
                hardware acceleration like Shockwave (ie Spiv)

                Case in point.

                1) Here is CubicVR Flash at 2048px tile size (2.3mb) which is about
                8000x4000 equirectangular. Very pixelated and looks terrible. In
                fact I've done tests at 512, 1024 & 2048 tile sizes and the bigger the
                tile the worse it seems to get.

                http://www.pano.com.au/flash/cubicvr3/

                2) Here is the same pano in QTVR. 7500x3500. Only 800kb and it
                looks gorgeous. (opens fullscreen)

                http://www.pano.com.au/gallery/panos/noosa_virtual_tours/34qt.htm

                Here is the future development list:

                * individual stage size
                * right-click-menu (full configurable) for changing properties at
                runtime
                * switchable controlpanel visibility(on,off) and appearance
                * animatable texture(swf, video)
                * extend the interface by an overview-map for navigatable content
                * quicktime importer(.mov)
                * allow streaming higher resolutions

                I don't think the current version is intended for big panos.

                Aaron.
              • wardnet2001
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Shaw" <nodename@...> wrote:

                  > http://cubicvr.popforge.de/

                  Hi Alan (and all)

                  Excellent new viewer, really, really good.

                  I can see the all flash panos that are online in both Firefox and
                  Internet Explorer, however I get a grey window when looking at the
                  downloadable one from your site, when looking at it unzipped from my
                  hard drive, this on both Firefox and Internet Explorer. I had to
                  upgrade to Flash Viewer 9. XP Service Pack 2. Any ideas what may be wrong?

                  Thanks, Bill.
                • Alan Shaw
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
                    HI,

                    First: it's not my site! The author is Andre Michelle, one of the gods of
                    Flash.

                    Flash Player 9 is indeed a requirement for this application.

                    It's not working locally because of security restrictions in the player
                    This swf is not permitted
                    to access files on the local machine. I get the following error:

                    cubicvr.swf cannot access local resource config.xml. Only
                    local-with-filesystem and trusted local SWF files may access local
                    resources.

                    If you upload it to a web site and view it in your browser it should be
                    fine.

                    On 8/2/06, wardnet2001 <bill.wardnet@...> wrote:

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Shaw" <nodename@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > http://cubicvr.popforge.de/

                    > Hi Alan (and all)
                    >
                    > Excellent new viewer, really, really good.
                    >
                    > I can see the all flash panos that are online in both Firefox and
                    > Internet Explorer, however I get a grey window when looking at the
                    > downloadable one from your site, when looking at it unzipped from my
                    > hard drive, this on both Firefox and Internet Explorer. I had to
                    > upgrade to Flash Viewer 9. XP Service Pack 2. Any ideas what may be wrong?
                    >
                    > Thanks, Bill.

                  • wardnet2001
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
                      > Excellent new viewer, really, really good.
                      >
                      > I can see the all flash panos that are online in both Firefox and
                      > Internet Explorer, however I get a grey window when looking at the
                      > downloadable one from your site, when looking at it unzipped from my
                      > hard drive, this on both Firefox and Internet Explorer. I had to
                      > upgrade to Flash Viewer 9. XP Service Pack 2. Any ideas what may be
                      wrong?

                      > Thanks, Bill.

                      A quick test by myself, in the downloadable zip example:
                      Replacing the files in the Texture folder with my own files, then
                      uploading to my own site, I can view the panorama. But not locally on
                      my own hard drive.
                      http://www.billward.org/cubicvr.1.0.0/index.htm

                      Bill
                    • Flemming V. Larsen
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
                        Due to security restriction you have to run it through a webserver.
                        If you use XP pro you might allready have it setup - XP Home doesn't have a
                        built-in webserver, but and easy package to install can be found at
                        http://www.foxserv.net/

                        - Flemming

                        > I can see the all flash panos that are online in both Firefox and
                        > Internet Explorer, however I get a grey window when looking at the
                        > downloadable one from your site, when looking at it unzipped from my
                        > hard drive, this on both Firefox and Internet Explorer. I had to
                        > upgrade to Flash Viewer 9. XP Service Pack 2. Any ideas what may be wrong?
                        >
                        > Thanks, Bill.

                      • Andrew Nemeth
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
                          > New Flash v9 cubic VR player
                          >
                          > <http://cubicvr.popforge.de/>

                          Good news, and it works reasonably well on my dual-G4 powermac :?)

                          It also runs fine locally via the Mac OSX built-in apache server.

                          Now for the bad news... the image shown for the screenshot at:

                          <http://cubicvr.popforge.de/#screenshot>

                          ... was taken by me for Warner Brothers last year, and is used without
                          my/Time-Warner's permission.

                          Grrr. The web might be free, but intellectual property isn't.

                          Regds,

                          Andrew N.
                          <http://nemeng.com>
                          Blue Mountains Australia
                        • Aaron Spence
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 2, 2006
                            Stealing panos is bad news, have you emailed Andre about it?

                            Great work on Superman BTW. I heard the production cost something
                            like $200 Million US. I hope you got your fair share ;)

                            Aaron.
                          • Aaron Spence
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                              Just got this message regarding the new CubicVR viewer:

                              Dear receiver,

                              the Cubic-VR engine is sold. All donations will be transferred back.
                              More information soon at: http://cubicvr.popforge.de

                              kind regards

                              Anyone know who might have bought it, and if this means we can no
                              longer use it?

                              Aaron.
                            • Michael
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                                just received a message on cubic-vr /popforge.de

                                " the Cubic-VR engine is sold. All donations will be transferred
                                back. More information soon at: http://cubicvr.popforge.de "

                                Let's wait and see, who bought it and what plans they have.

                                Michael

                                ::: premiumpano :::

                                stoss@...
                                http://www.premiumpano.de

                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Shaw" <nodename@...> wrote:

                                > http://cubicvr.popforge.de/

                              • Aldo Hoeben
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                                  > Anyone know who might have bought it, and if this means we can no
                                  > longer use it?

                                  Wasn't me...
                                • Aaron Spence
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Aldo Hoeben <aldo@...> wrote:

                                    > > Anyone know who might have bought it, and if this means we can no
                                    > > longer use it?
                                    >
                                    > Wasn't me...

                                    Pity

                                    Do you know enough about flash to develop a similar viewer to Andres one?

                                    Aaron.
                                  • jeffrey
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                                      I bet 2 beers that f o r d o x a a l bought it :-D

                                      --

                                      ---------------------
                                      www.panopticpictures.com - Immersive Imaging

                                      Re: New development on the Flash front
                                      Posted by: "Michael" m-stoss@... m_stosz
                                      Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:58 am (PST)

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                                        On 8/11/06, jeffrey <panoramas@...> wrote:
                                        > I bet 2 beers that f o r d o x a a l bought it :-D

                                        I bet 3 beers for Immervision :)

                                        --
                                        best regards,

                                        Bert Vierstra

                                        http://www.360rage.com/
                                        http://www.bali3d.com/
                                      • fierodeval
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 11, 2006
                                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Bert Vierstra" <vierstra@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > On 8/11/06, jeffrey <panoramas@...> wrote:
                                          > > I bet 2 beers that f o r d o x a a l bought it :-D
                                          >
                                          > I bet 3 beers for Immervision :)

                                          Me too :)