Nikon D70 + 18-70mm kit lens + 0.5 adapter

  • s58894
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi guys,
      I have this setup and I have been taking some panos with the D70 and
      the kit lens without any major problem (stitching with PTGui. I got
      this 0.5 adapter from Digital Innovations, Inc on eBay and cannot
      stitch anymore. I asumed that since the adapter goes in front of the
      lens it wouldn't alter the point of no parallax, so I left it where I
      had it before with the information from the wiki. When I took some
      pics to check for parallax, it looked to me as if the item in the
      foreground did not move when I panned from one side to the other.
      DOes anybody have experience with a setup similar to this or can
      kindly give some advice?

      Thanks in advance, Gus
    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2006
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "s58894" <s58894@...> wrote:

        > I asumed that since the adapter goes in front of the
        > lens it wouldn't alter the point of no parallax

        Gus, The no parallax point is located at the entrance pupil, and the
        entrance pupil is the virtual image of the aperture formed by the
        lens elements in front of it. It follows that if you add another
        element (your adapter) in front, the position of the entrance pupil
        is likely to change. If the position changes a lot, this should be
        obvious by simply looking into the lens to view the entrance pupil
        directly. Point the viewfinder eyepiece at a bright light and stop
        down the lens to F/22 using the depth of field preview button. The
        bright spot you see is the entrance pupil. Your two eyes should
        enable you to judge its approximate position. You can even rotate
        the camera to and fro on the head and look for movement of the
        entrance pupil.

        However, you say that having taken sample photographs, there doesn't
        appear to be any evidence of parallax. Maybe the adapter lens is
        introducing unusual distortions that are difficult to correct with
        the optimizer. I would try taking a pano of a more distant scene and
        avoid placing control points on any nearby features. That should
        eliminate or minimise any parallax issues. See if a satisfactory
        optimization of the lens parameters and a good stitch can be achieved.

        John