Re: Full Screen QTVR in FireFox

  • gerdsy
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2006
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "fierodeval" <fierodeval@...> wrote:

      > Excuse my ignorance, but, what is the function of this lines?

      > Some people use it but I don't understand what functionality is added.

      None.

      http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/03/19/dive-into-xml.html

      Everyone still serves their web pages with a mimetype of text/html,
      which means your 'XHTML' page is interpreted as HTML, not XHTML.

      The real mimetype for XHTML is application/xhtml+xml
      (I think), but here is the problem. Internet Explorer 6 cannot handle
      it. Neither will Internet Explorer 7
      (http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/09/15/467901.aspx). Firefox can
      handle it by the way.

      It just makes people feel good to have XHTML doctypes
      (my opinion only) so they can follow the 'standards'.

      Eric
    • andrew334513
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
        OK I'll give this a go and see how it works out. I take your point
        about using deprecated tags in the script, but so far this is the only
        way I've found of embedding a QTVR in a page that works x-browser, and
        without IE prompting to activate the control.

        Is there a way to do this while following standards?

        While the standards may be 'unlcear' and cause plenty of confusion,
        there will never be an Internet based on IE. As a result, surely the
        standards are the best we have to deliver effective websites from a
        user perspective, and we should aim to follow them as closely as
        possible. :)

        Andrew

        > Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards.
        > Just use Internet Explorer.
        >
        > BTW, I noticed you have an embed tag in your javascript, but embed is
        > a deprecated tag and not part of any w3c standards.
        > Oh yes. That's right. We put all out deprecated tags into a script to
        > fool the validator, and then we can tell everyone that we are
        > standards compliant. But the browser still sees those deprecated tags
        > (just not the w3c validator).
        >
        > Somebody answer me this, seriously:
        > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa/2006May/0000.html
        >
        > Not picking on you, btw. It's just I'm not really sure there are any
        > standards at the moment.
        >
        > The problem is that as soon as you use a Strict doctype then using %
        > for pano height is a problem. If you specify a height = 90%, then the
        > question is 90% of what. I think the 'standards' don't really define
        > the height for the body/html. So this is what you do:

        > html { width: 100%; height: 100% }
        > body { color: black; background-color: #e7e7ff; margin: 0px; padding:
        > 0px; width: 100%; height: 100%; overflow: hidden }
        > .qt { text-align: center; width: 100%; height: 100% }
        > --></style>
        >
        > </head>

        > <script type="text/javascript"><!--
        >
        > Your Anti-Eolas script here
        >

        > //--></script>

        > Eric

      • gerdsy
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "andrew334513" <andrew@...> wrote:

          > OK I'll give this a go and see how it works out. I take your point
          > about using deprecated tags in the script, but so far this is the only
          > way I've found of embedding a QTVR in a page that works x-browser, and
          > without IE prompting to activate the control.
          >
          > Is there a way to do this while following standards?

          It depends on what the standards are, regarding HTML inside
          javascript. I don't think there are any. Nobody really seems to care
          about the issue. I mean, I can take a page full of HTML that violates
          all of the W3C standards, put the entire body in javascript, and then
          the validator will like it. Makes no sense to be.

          It is possible to use only <object> tags inside the javascript for the
          QTVR. But there are some limitations with that...

          Some older browsers cannot handle it. Opera 7 can't handle QTVR with
          <object> tag, but Opera 8/9 works ok. Safari 2 can handle it, but some
          older Safari browsers cannot accept any <param> tags inside the
          <object> tag.
          As time goes by, these older browsers will be used by far fewer people
          and not be relevant.

          I don't know how many Mac Users have Safari < version 2.

          So, it depends on whether you want to accept this limitation for users
          of some older browsers.

          I suppose you can just declare your strict doctype while using <embed>
          in your javascript for now. And then after a while just switch your
          javascript with one that only uses <object>.

          It depends on your preference, seeing as there is no standard
          regarding this issue.

          Eric
        • Andrew Nemeth
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
            On 02 Aug 2006, at 18:37, "gerdsy" wrote:

            > It just makes people feel good to have XHTML doctypes
            > (my opinion only) so they can follow the 'standards'.

            Oh come on, there is much more to it than just that!

            Back in the bad old days you had to write your code to be v3 or v4
            browser specific, and then use Javascript to browser-sniff to figure
            out what the user was using.

            A right royal PITA, and guaranteed to break sites when v5 and v6
            browsers came along. Separating the page content from page layout also
            makes it much easier to maintain & upgrade pages, and also completely
            change the layout design if you wish.

            For more specific and detailed benefits, see

            <http://www.webstandards.org/learn/faq/>

            So there's much more to this than "my web design teacher told me to do
            so" :?)

            Regds,

            Andrew N.
            <http://nemeng.com>
            Blue Mountains Australia
          • Eric O'Brien
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
              I think another Eric ("gerdsy") is correct. For standards-compliant
              browsers, when an element has a height of some percent, it is taken
              to be a percent of its PARENT element. It would seem that the
              default height of "body" or "html" would of course be 100% but
              apparently it is instead undefined.

              Why the developers of Firefox decided to render "100% of undefined"
              as what looks like 20%... (!?) who can say.

              But the fix is indeed to style body (or whatever the containing
              element is in your case) to have "height: 100%"

              FYI: When a DOCTYPE is omitted, browsers will each render in their
              own version of "quirks" mode. Which, I believe, is essentially
              simulating the bugs that existed in browsers that are now two or
              three versions old (Netscape 4 and IE 5).

              To me, the important thing is not so much trying to get a page that
              validates, but AVOIDING creating pages that rely on quirks mode.
              Why? Because each Browser developer implements quirks mode as they
              see fit. At least in standards mode there are some.... ahh...
              standards to point to when things behave oddly or incorrectly.

              eo