Re: Smartblend speed and PTgui

  • Dave 360texas.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
      Thank you for clarifying the process. Maybe Enblend and Smartblend
      authors can also help clarify where their work files are maintained.

      Dave
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Joost Nieuwenhuijse <imim@...>
      wrote:

      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Dave 360texas.com"
      > > <texas360dave@> wrote:
      > >> I think PTgui and Blending occurs on the Harddrive. I noticed a
      > >> 1/3rd decrease in stitching/blending time when in PTgui I
      assigned
      > >> my 80gb external hard drive PTgui workspace.
      > >>
      > >> I also noticed that PTgui creates TMP work files on my external
      HD
      > >> because I found 8 of them. I ask Joost if it was safe to
      remove
      > >> them. He said yes, PTgui 5.8.4 creates them but does not
      remove
      > >> them after closing the program.
      >
      > Only the jpegs generated by the Preview button will be left on the
      > drive; PTGui cannot delete them because the preview application
      may
      > still be running. All other temp files are cleaned up properly.
      >
      > LoveFilm wrote:
      > > I Networked my PC and Mac, and assigned the Mac's hard drive as
      an
      > > additional temporary directory. Seemed to work well as I needed
      > > access to more HD space. But would writing to the Mac's larger /
      > > faster drive provide a speed benefit, especially since the
      rendering
      > > was being done over the network?
      >
      > Depends on what the speed bottleneck is. It's quite possible that
      the
      > networking overhead slows down the transfer speed. Just try by
      stitching
      > a large panorama.
      >
      > Some hardware recommendations (2.18):
      > http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#2_18
      >
      > > I'll have to try that again.
      > >
      > > Now - what about Enblend / Smartblend. Will they also use the
      > > external drive (if set as the preferred directory in PTgui's
      > > preferences) to write their temp files to. I know that on the
      Mac
      > > (when using Xblend to pBlend to Enblend combo) that the files are
      > > written to the boot directory (unless Enblend is started from the
      > > command line, I think).
      >
      > Enblend/smartblend will not use PTGui's temp dir setting. I'm not
      sure
      > where they write temp files though.
      >
      > Joost

    • Michael Norel
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
        Smartblend allocate temporary files in Windows temporary directory
        for current user. I plan to add option, to define directory for
        temporary files.