Re: Full Screen QTVR in FireFox

  • fierodeval
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1 4:36 PM
      Excuse my ignorance, but, what is the function of this lines?

      Some people use it but I don't understand what functionality is added.

      Thank you!
      fiero

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Armitage" <andrew@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >

      > I don't know if anyone has had this problem with FireFox but I am
      >
      > wanting to publish a full screen QTVR. I have achieved the end result
      >
      > which is fine and works as it should, but as a web designer I would
      >
      > like the code to be standards compliant!
      >

      > The code as it is works in FireFox and IE6/7 but as soon as I add in
      >
      > the XHTML DTD at the top of the page, the QTVR only covers the top
      >
      > third of the screen rather than the full page. I have used Pano2QTVR
      >
      > to generate the code in the page and then changed some of the code
      >
      > myself, but it seems to only work with HTML 4.
      >

      > Interestingly enough, looking at other full screen QTVRs, they don't
      >
      > seem to specify a DTD other than HTML 4 (if at all).
      >

      > The full screen version is at
      >
      > http://www.virtual-panorama.net/portfolio/troon.html and the problem
      >
      > page is at http://www.virtual-panorama.net/portfolio/troonCopy.html
      >

      > Any thoughts would be welcome!!
      >

      > Thanks in advance...
      >

      > Andrew

    • Kathy Wheeler
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1 5:32 PM
        On 02/08/2006, at 9:36 AM, fierodeval wrote:
        > Excuse my ignorance, but, what is the function of this lines?

        DOCTYPE is described here:
        http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/Doctype

        This is an extension of the old <html> tag and is explained here:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmlns

        Simply put they instruct your browser how to render the tags in an
        html page. They can be a pain, they can cause problems, lack of them
        can also cause problems. That's the thing about so-called "standards"
        - so many to choose from ... <sigh>.

        KathyW.
      • gerdsy
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1 5:39 PM
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Armitage" <andrew@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >

          > I don't know if anyone has had this problem with FireFox but I am
          >
          > wanting to publish a full screen QTVR. I have achieved the end result
          >
          > which is fine and works as it should, but as a web designer I would
          >
          > like the code to be standards compliant!

          Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards.
          Just use Internet Explorer.

          BTW, I noticed you have an embed tag in your javascript, but embed is
          a deprecated tag and not part of any w3c standards.
          Oh yes. That's right. We put all out deprecated tags into a script to
          fool the validator, and then we can tell everyone that we are
          standards compliant. But the browser still sees those deprecated tags
          (just not the w3c validator).

          Somebody answer me this, seriously:
          http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa/2006May/0000.html

          Not picking on you, btw. It's just I'm not really sure there are any
          standards at the moment.

          > The code as it is works in FireFox and IE6/7 but as soon as I add in
          >
          > the XHTML DTD at the top of the page, the QTVR only covers the top
          >
          > third of the screen rather than the full page. I have used Pano2QTVR
          >
          > to generate the code in the page and then changed some of the code
          >
          > myself, but it seems to only work with HTML 4.

          The problem is that as soon as you use a Strict doctype then using %
          for pano height is a problem. If you specify a height = 90%, then the
          question is 90% of what. I think the 'standards' don't really define
          the height for the body/html. So this is what you do:

          html { width: 100%; height: 100% }
          body { color: black; background-color: #e7e7ff; margin: 0px; padding:
          0px; width: 100%; height: 100%; overflow: hidden }
          .qt { text-align: center; width: 100%; height: 100% }
          --></style>

          </head>

          <script type="text/javascript"><!--

          Your Anti-Eolas script here

          //--></script>

          Eric
        • LoveFilm
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1 5:51 PM
            I have run into this problem before .. but didn't think to check the
            DOC TYPE.

            Anyway.. thanks for the code to fix it! Haven't tried it yet but I
            suspected a fix would involve some CSS declarations.

            > The problem is that as soon as you use a Strict doctype then using %
            > for pano height is a problem. If you specify a height = 90%, then the
            > question is 90% of what. I think the 'standards' don't really define
            > the height for the body/html. So this is what you do:

            > html { width: 100%; height: 100% }
            > body { color: black; background-color: #e7e7ff; margin: 0px; padding:
            > 0px; width: 100%; height: 100%; overflow: hidden }
            > .qt { text-align: center; width: 100%; height: 100% }
            > --></style>
            >
            > </head>

            > <script type="text/javascript"><!--
            >
            > Your Anti-Eolas script here
            >

            > //--></script>

            > Eric

          • gerdsy
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1 5:52 PM
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "fierodeval" <fierodeval@...> wrote:

              > Excuse my ignorance, but, what is the function of this lines?

              > Some people use it but I don't understand what functionality is added.

              None.

              http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/03/19/dive-into-xml.html

              Everyone still serves their web pages with a mimetype of text/html,
              which means your 'XHTML' page is interpreted as HTML, not XHTML.

              The real mimetype for XHTML is application/xhtml+xml
              (I think), but here is the problem. Internet Explorer 6 cannot handle
              it. Neither will Internet Explorer 7
              (http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/09/15/467901.aspx). Firefox can
              handle it by the way.

              It just makes people feel good to have XHTML doctypes
              (my opinion only) so they can follow the 'standards'.

              Eric
            • andrew334513
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2 1:04 AM
                OK I'll give this a go and see how it works out. I take your point
                about using deprecated tags in the script, but so far this is the only
                way I've found of embedding a QTVR in a page that works x-browser, and
                without IE prompting to activate the control.

                Is there a way to do this while following standards?

                While the standards may be 'unlcear' and cause plenty of confusion,
                there will never be an Internet based on IE. As a result, surely the
                standards are the best we have to deliver effective websites from a
                user perspective, and we should aim to follow them as closely as
                possible. :)

                Andrew

                > Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards.
                > Just use Internet Explorer.
                >
                > BTW, I noticed you have an embed tag in your javascript, but embed is
                > a deprecated tag and not part of any w3c standards.
                > Oh yes. That's right. We put all out deprecated tags into a script to
                > fool the validator, and then we can tell everyone that we are
                > standards compliant. But the browser still sees those deprecated tags
                > (just not the w3c validator).
                >
                > Somebody answer me this, seriously:
                > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa/2006May/0000.html
                >
                > Not picking on you, btw. It's just I'm not really sure there are any
                > standards at the moment.
                >
                > The problem is that as soon as you use a Strict doctype then using %
                > for pano height is a problem. If you specify a height = 90%, then the
                > question is 90% of what. I think the 'standards' don't really define
                > the height for the body/html. So this is what you do:

                > html { width: 100%; height: 100% }
                > body { color: black; background-color: #e7e7ff; margin: 0px; padding:
                > 0px; width: 100%; height: 100%; overflow: hidden }
                > .qt { text-align: center; width: 100%; height: 100% }
                > --></style>
                >
                > </head>

                > <script type="text/javascript"><!--
                >
                > Your Anti-Eolas script here
                >

                > //--></script>

                > Eric

              • gerdsy
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2 6:50 AM
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "andrew334513" <andrew@...> wrote:

                  > OK I'll give this a go and see how it works out. I take your point
                  > about using deprecated tags in the script, but so far this is the only
                  > way I've found of embedding a QTVR in a page that works x-browser, and
                  > without IE prompting to activate the control.
                  >
                  > Is there a way to do this while following standards?

                  It depends on what the standards are, regarding HTML inside
                  javascript. I don't think there are any. Nobody really seems to care
                  about the issue. I mean, I can take a page full of HTML that violates
                  all of the W3C standards, put the entire body in javascript, and then
                  the validator will like it. Makes no sense to be.

                  It is possible to use only <object> tags inside the javascript for the
                  QTVR. But there are some limitations with that...

                  Some older browsers cannot handle it. Opera 7 can't handle QTVR with
                  <object> tag, but Opera 8/9 works ok. Safari 2 can handle it, but some
                  older Safari browsers cannot accept any <param> tags inside the
                  <object> tag.
                  As time goes by, these older browsers will be used by far fewer people
                  and not be relevant.

                  I don't know how many Mac Users have Safari < version 2.

                  So, it depends on whether you want to accept this limitation for users
                  of some older browsers.

                  I suppose you can just declare your strict doctype while using <embed>
                  in your javascript for now. And then after a while just switch your
                  javascript with one that only uses <object>.

                  It depends on your preference, seeing as there is no standard
                  regarding this issue.

                  Eric
                • Andrew Nemeth
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 2 12:51 PM
                    On 02 Aug 2006, at 18:37, "gerdsy" wrote:

                    > It just makes people feel good to have XHTML doctypes
                    > (my opinion only) so they can follow the 'standards'.

                    Oh come on, there is much more to it than just that!

                    Back in the bad old days you had to write your code to be v3 or v4
                    browser specific, and then use Javascript to browser-sniff to figure
                    out what the user was using.

                    A right royal PITA, and guaranteed to break sites when v5 and v6
                    browsers came along. Separating the page content from page layout also
                    makes it much easier to maintain & upgrade pages, and also completely
                    change the layout design if you wish.

                    For more specific and detailed benefits, see

                    <http://www.webstandards.org/learn/faq/>

                    So there's much more to this than "my web design teacher told me to do
                    so" :?)

                    Regds,

                    Andrew N.
                    <http://nemeng.com>
                    Blue Mountains Australia
                  • Eric O'Brien
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 2 11:16 PM
                      I think another Eric ("gerdsy") is correct. For standards-compliant
                      browsers, when an element has a height of some percent, it is taken
                      to be a percent of its PARENT element. It would seem that the
                      default height of "body" or "html" would of course be 100% but
                      apparently it is instead undefined.

                      Why the developers of Firefox decided to render "100% of undefined"
                      as what looks like 20%... (!?) who can say.

                      But the fix is indeed to style body (or whatever the containing
                      element is in your case) to have "height: 100%"

                      FYI: When a DOCTYPE is omitted, browsers will each render in their
                      own version of "quirks" mode. Which, I believe, is essentially
                      simulating the bugs that existed in browsers that are now two or
                      three versions old (Netscape 4 and IE 5).

                      To me, the important thing is not so much trying to get a page that
                      validates, but AVOIDING creating pages that rely on quirks mode.
                      Why? Because each Browser developer implements quirks mode as they
                      see fit. At least in standards mode there are some.... ahh...
                      standards to point to when things behave oddly or incorrectly.

                      eo