Re: [PanoToolsNG] How to protect Partial Panoramas ?

  • Mr. Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
      Just wanted to revisit this thread with an example of what I meant...
      I read the message as wanting to present panos that are not 360 -
      very often we don't want to do perspective correction (realtime
      warping), but rather present it as a large, flat image. Obviously Web
      browsers aren't great at this, and there's the inherent risk when
      posting a high rez image. I posted two panos last night using
      Zoomify's Flash viewer:

      http://gallery.rogerroger.org/zoom/20060715venice09pano/
      http://gallery.rogerroger.org/zoom/20060715venice10pano/

      This isn't 100% foolproof of course - it is possible to reconstruct
      the full resolution file from the JPEG tiles, but outside of a demo
      app I put together to do this I don't think it's a real, in-the-wild
      risk. Famous last words, I know... but it's a nice interface as an
      alternative to our more spherically-oriented pano viewers.

      Cheers -R
    • Bob R.
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2006
        --- "Mr. Roger Howard" <rogerhoward@...> wrote:

        > http://gallery.rogerroger.org/zoom/20060715venice09pano/
        > http://gallery.rogerroger.org/zoom/20060715venice10pano/
        >
        > This isn't 100% foolproof of course - it is possible to reconstruct

        Using the print screen button and photoshop I'm able to capture usable
        "slices" of 1578 x 744 pixels. The original seems to be about 3200
        pixels high, so it would probably take an hour or so to get all the
        bits and put them together by hand at full resolution. But I could
        capture 5 or 6 at screen resolution, and still have a very useful
        image.

        Bob

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Mr. Roger Howard
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2006
          On Aug 4, 2006, at 9:40 AM, Bob R. wrote:

          > --- "Mr. Roger Howard" <rogerhoward@...> wrote:
          >

          >> http://gallery.rogerroger.org/zoom/20060715venice09pano/
          >> http://gallery.rogerroger.org/zoom/20060715venice10pano/
          >>
          >> This isn't 100% foolproof of course - it is possible to reconstruct
          >
          > Using the print screen button and photoshop I'm able to capture usable
          > "slices" of 1578 x 744 pixels. The original seems to be about 3200
          > pixels high, so it would probably take an hour or so to get all the
          > bits and put them together by hand at full resolution. But I could
          > capture 5 or 6 at screen resolution, and still have a very useful
          > image.

          Which I acknowledged - frankly, anything you can see you can copy.
          It's a risk/reward calculation. I can provide a tool - which I won't,
          so don't ask! - which could create a complete, high-resolution copy
          of these panoramas (and almost any other posted using Zoomify) in
          minutes, not hours. But as I said, for casual protection, a Flash-
          based player with remotely hosted content will stop typical users.
          Nothing will stop sophisticated technologists bent on copying your
          content. Since I don't make a living selling these panoramas, the
          risk is low and the reward is high. For other scenarios all will have
          to determine the results of this calculation themselves.

          These risks exist with ALL player technology. We can reconstruct
          editable files from almost any player solution that will result in as
          much resolution as the content provider allows you to see.