Re: Stitcher 5.5 Unlimited compared with PTGui 5.8 in auto-stitching mod

  • Landis
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2006
      > Stitcher Unlimited supports fisheye images. The first part of
      > comparison tests with PTGui is reported here:
      >
      > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/PTGui5.8_&_ST5.5/SW_Compared.html

      Michel,

      Thanks for posting your tests. Very interesting.

      I was particularly interested in the comparison of the 20D with the
      10.5 since that's pretty close to what I'm shooting now (D200/10.5).
      Looking at the two panos I noticed a couple stitching errors in the
      ST5.5 version that I didn't see in the PTGui version. I'm wondering
      if you feel that this can be resolved by doing more calibrations or
      if this is an inherent problem with the fisheye conversion in ST5.5?

      Currently I'm using Stitcher 5.1 after running my images through
      PanoTools Adjust to remap it to a rectilinear image. I would sure
      rather skip the remapping part.

      Thanks,
      Landis
    • michel thoby
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2006
        Landis,

        I had yet not noticed the "couple stitching errors" you have spotted
        before reading your message!

        The rest of my response between your lines below

        Le 1 août 06 à 21:36, Landis a écrit :

        > I was particularly interested in the comparison of the 20D with the
        > 10.5 since that's pretty close to what I'm shooting now (D200/10.5).
        > Looking at the two panos I noticed a couple stitching errors in the
        > ST5.5 version that I didn't see in the PTGui version.
        I eventually found some small mismatches notably on the ceiling.
        But to be honest, there are also some glitches (not exactly at the
        same place on the ceiling) in the PTGui version.

        > I'm wondering
        > if you feel that this can be resolved by doing more calibrations or
        If there is one, I don't know yet the way to improve this in
        automatic mode.
        I got a similar result by using full manual (pairs of CPs) workflow.

        > if this is an inherent problem with the fisheye conversion in ST5.5?
        This might well be the case: the 10,5 mm is really a lovely fisheye
        but from a wild kind, distortion-wise.

        > Currently I'm using Stitcher 5.1 after running my images through
        > PanoTools Adjust to remap it to a rectilinear image. I would sure
        > rather skip the remapping part.
        From my tests results, I believe the automatic mode should improve
        your workflow efficiency with your present combo.

        > Thanks,
        > Landis

        Michel