Re: Smartblend speed and PTgui

  • Dave 360texas.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
      I think PTgui and Blending occurs on the Harddrive. I noticed a
      1/3rd decrease in stitching/blending time when in PTgui I assigned
      my 80gb external hard drive PTgui workspace.

      I also noticed that PTgui creates TMP work files on my external HD
      because I found 8 of them. I ask Joost if it was safe to remove
      them. He said yes, PTgui 5.8.4 creates them but does not remove
      them after closing the program.

      Dave

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Manfred Kröger
      <Manfred_Kroeger@...> wrote:

      > I'm not really sure more RAM will improve smartblend's speed. It
      seems
      > to me that in order to process large images all the blending is
      done on
      > the hdd. This would explain why smartblend needed 14 GB on my
      drive
      > while the processor's and the RAM's usage was very low.
      >
      > Manfred
      >
      > Michael Asgian wrote:
      > >
      > > Your hardware resources are kind of to small for what you do.
      Push
      > > more RAM if you can, you may have an empty slot... it will help
      alot,
      > > and ram is cheap lately.
      > >
      > > My problem wih smartblend are crashes... crashes my render
      machine
      > > from time to time... that's kind of anoying. especially when I'm
      > > running batch renderings... Dident try the latest beta yet,
      > >
      > > Anyone also experiences crashes? any fix?
      > >
      > > Mike
      > >
      > > LoveFilm <lovefilm@... <mailto:lovefilm%40yahoo.com>> wrote: Can
      > > any one recount their rendering experiences using Smartblend?
      > >
      > > It gives great results but the processing time on my PC is
      outrageous.
      > > Is this normal?
      > >
      > > 31 image pano (three images in the sky intentionally left out)
      > >
      > > 8777 x 3072
      > >
      > > Processing 12 images per row.
      > >
      > > Smartblend reports a 5 hour + processing time to render just the
      first
      > > 12 images! And about 18hrs to render all of them at once.
      > >
      > > I'm on a Dell laptop - 1.6 mhz, 500mg ram. There is about 3.5 gig
      > > availbale on my boot drive.
      > >
      > > I know this is not an optimal system for this type of work. Does
      > > anyone know what kind of realistic speed improvements I might
      expect
      > > with a higher end configuration?
      > >
      > > Also - I think I saw some posts regarding this somewhere. Is
      there
      > > any equivalent to Samrtblend for the Mac?

    • Fulvio Senore
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
        I am still using version 1.1.7 and ram surely improves its performance.
        When I stitch a pano (15 Mpx images), memory usage goes up to about 1.5
        GB for one or more very short moments.
        Now that I have 2GB of ram those are very short moments, when I had 1 GB
        the program started swapping and those moments were eternal.

        My opinion is that smartblend only uses the HD to read input images and
        write the output image. Of course with large images this can take some
        time. Then smartblend simply allocates memory from Windows when it needs
        it: if there is not enough memory Windows will start swapping. Some time
        ago, when I tried to modify enblend 1.x, I discovered that this is not
        an efficient way to handle a low memory situation. Explicitly swapping
        to temporary files from the application can be much faster. This is what
        enblend did: I disabled it and performance dropped.

        So having a lot of ram is very important for smartblend to run quickly:
        I have found that it is much faster then enblend 2.x.

        Fulvio Senore

        Manfred Kröger ha scritto:
        > I'm not really sure more RAM will improve smartblend's speed. It seems
        > to me that in order to process large images all the blending is done on
        > the hdd. This would explain why smartblend needed 14 GB on my drive
        > while the processor's and the RAM's usage was very low.
        >
        > Manfred
        >
        > Michael Asgian wrote:
        >
        >> Your hardware resources are kind of to small for what you do. Push
        >> more RAM if you can, you may have an empty slot... it will help alot,
        >> and ram is cheap lately.
        >>
        >> My problem wih smartblend are crashes... crashes my render machine
        >> from time to time... that's kind of anoying. especially when I'm
        >> running batch renderings... Dident try the latest beta yet,
        >>
        >> Anyone also experiences crashes? any fix?
        >>
        >> Mike
        >>
        >> LoveFilm <lovefilm@... <mailto:lovefilm%40yahoo.com>> wrote: Can
        >> any one recount their rendering experiences using Smartblend?
        >>
        >> It gives great results but the processing time on my PC is outrageous.
        >> Is this normal?
        >>
        >> 31 image pano (three images in the sky intentionally left out)
        >>
        >> 8777 x 3072
        >>
        >> Processing 12 images per row.
        >>
        >> Smartblend reports a 5 hour + processing time to render just the first
        >> 12 images! And about 18hrs to render all of them at once.
        >>
        >> I'm on a Dell laptop - 1.6 mhz, 500mg ram. There is about 3.5 gig
        >> availbale on my boot drive.
        >>
        >> I know this is not an optimal system for this type of work. Does
        >> anyone know what kind of realistic speed improvements I might expect
        >> with a higher end configuration?
        >>
        >> Also - I think I saw some posts regarding this somewhere. Is there
        >> any equivalent to Samrtblend for the Mac?

      • LoveFilm
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Dave 360texas.com"
          <texas360dave@...> wrote:

          > I think PTgui and Blending occurs on the Harddrive. I noticed a
          > 1/3rd decrease in stitching/blending time when in PTgui I assigned
          > my 80gb external hard drive PTgui workspace.
          >
          > I also noticed that PTgui creates TMP work files on my external HD
          > because I found 8 of them. I ask Joost if it was safe to remove
          > them. He said yes, PTgui 5.8.4 creates them but does not remove
          > them after closing the program.

          I Networked my PC and Mac, and assigned the Mac's hard drive as an
          additional temporary directory. Seemed to work well as I needed
          access to more HD space. But would writing to the Mac's larger /
          faster drive provide a speed benefit, especially since the rendering
          was being done over the network?

          I'll have to try that again.

          Now - what about Enblend / Smartblend. Will they also use the
          external drive (if set as the preferred directory in PTgui's
          preferences) to write their temp files to. I know that on the Mac
          (when using Xblend to pBlend to Enblend combo) that the files are
          written to the boot directory (unless Enblend is started from the
          command line, I think).
        • Joost Nieuwenhuijse
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Dave 360texas.com"
            > <texas360dave@...> wrote:
            >> I think PTgui and Blending occurs on the Harddrive. I noticed a
            >> 1/3rd decrease in stitching/blending time when in PTgui I assigned
            >> my 80gb external hard drive PTgui workspace.
            >>
            >> I also noticed that PTgui creates TMP work files on my external HD
            >> because I found 8 of them. I ask Joost if it was safe to remove
            >> them. He said yes, PTgui 5.8.4 creates them but does not remove
            >> them after closing the program.

            Only the jpegs generated by the Preview button will be left on the
            drive; PTGui cannot delete them because the preview application may
            still be running. All other temp files are cleaned up properly.

            LoveFilm wrote:
            > I Networked my PC and Mac, and assigned the Mac's hard drive as an
            > additional temporary directory. Seemed to work well as I needed
            > access to more HD space. But would writing to the Mac's larger /
            > faster drive provide a speed benefit, especially since the rendering
            > was being done over the network?

            Depends on what the speed bottleneck is. It's quite possible that the
            networking overhead slows down the transfer speed. Just try by stitching
            a large panorama.

            Some hardware recommendations (2.18):
            http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#2_18

            > I'll have to try that again.
            >
            > Now - what about Enblend / Smartblend. Will they also use the
            > external drive (if set as the preferred directory in PTgui's
            > preferences) to write their temp files to. I know that on the Mac
            > (when using Xblend to pBlend to Enblend combo) that the files are
            > written to the boot directory (unless Enblend is started from the
            > command line, I think).

            Enblend/smartblend will not use PTGui's temp dir setting. I'm not sure
            where they write temp files though.

            Joost
          • Manfred Kröger
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
              You're definitely talking about an outdated version of smartblend. Those
              old versions were quite fast but they weren't able to handle large or 16
              bit panos. Try the current version (or anything after 1.20, I think) on
              a larger panorama and you will see that it's not Windows that's
              swapping, it's smartblend! (I've seen my HDD's light flickering the
              whole weekend while smartblend tried to blend a 274Mpx panorama. Memory
              usage was only a few hundred MB out of my 2GB.)

              If you ask me: On LoveFilm's laptop it's probably the 2.5'' drive that's
              slowing the processing down.

              Manfred

              Fulvio Senore wrote:

              > I am still using version 1.1.7 and ram surely improves its performance.
              > When I stitch a pano (15 Mpx images), memory usage goes up to about 1.5
              > GB for one or more very short moments.
              > Now that I have 2GB of ram those are very short moments, when I had 1 GB
              > the program started swapping and those moments were eternal.
              >
              > My opinion is that smartblend only uses the HD to read input images and
              > write the output image. Of course with large images this can take some
              > time. Then smartblend simply allocates memory from Windows when it needs
              > it: if there is not enough memory Windows will start swapping. Some time
              > ago, when I tried to modify enblend 1.x, I discovered that this is not
              > an efficient way to handle a low memory situation. Explicitly swapping
              > to temporary files from the application can be much faster. This is what
              > enblend did: I disabled it and performance dropped.
              >
              > So having a lot of ram is very important for smartblend to run quickly:
              > I have found that it is much faster then enblend 2.x.
              >
              > Fulvio Senore
              >
              > Manfred Kröger ha scritto:
              > > I'm not really sure more RAM will improve smartblend's speed. It seems
              > > to me that in order to process large images all the blending is done on
              > > the hdd. This would explain why smartblend needed 14 GB on my drive
              > > while the processor's and the RAM's usage was very low.
              > >
              > > Manfred
              > >
              > > Michael Asgian wrote:
              > >
              > >> Your hardware resources are kind of to small for what you do. Push
              > >> more RAM if you can, you may have an empty slot... it will help alot,
              > >> and ram is cheap lately.
              > >>
              > >> My problem wih smartblend are crashes... crashes my render machine
              > >> from time to time... that's kind of anoying. especially when I'm
              > >> running batch renderings... Dident try the latest beta yet,
              > >>
              > >> Anyone also experiences crashes? any fix?
              > >>
              > >> Mike
              > >>
              > >> LoveFilm <lovefilm@... <mailto:lovefilm%40yahoo.com>
              > <mailto:lovefilm%40yahoo.com>> wrote: Can
              > >> any one recount their rendering experiences using Smartblend?
              > >>
              > >> It gives great results but the processing time on my PC is outrageous.
              > >> Is this normal?
              > >>
              > >> 31 image pano (three images in the sky intentionally left out)
              > >>
              > >> 8777 x 3072
              > >>
              > >> Processing 12 images per row.
              > >>
              > >> Smartblend reports a 5 hour + processing time to render just the first
              > >> 12 images! And about 18hrs to render all of them at once.
              > >>
              > >> I'm on a Dell laptop - 1.6 mhz, 500mg ram. There is about 3.5 gig
              > >> availbale on my boot drive.
              > >>
              > >> I know this is not an optimal system for this type of work. Does
              > >> anyone know what kind of realistic speed improvements I might expect
              > >> with a higher end configuration?
              > >>
              > >> Also - I think I saw some posts regarding this somewhere. Is there
              > >> any equivalent to Samrtblend for the Mac?

              > > --

            • Dave 360texas.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
                Thank you for clarifying the process. Maybe Enblend and Smartblend
                authors can also help clarify where their work files are maintained.

                Dave
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Joost Nieuwenhuijse <imim@...>
                wrote:

                > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Dave 360texas.com"
                > > <texas360dave@> wrote:
                > >> I think PTgui and Blending occurs on the Harddrive. I noticed a
                > >> 1/3rd decrease in stitching/blending time when in PTgui I
                assigned
                > >> my 80gb external hard drive PTgui workspace.
                > >>
                > >> I also noticed that PTgui creates TMP work files on my external
                HD
                > >> because I found 8 of them. I ask Joost if it was safe to
                remove
                > >> them. He said yes, PTgui 5.8.4 creates them but does not
                remove
                > >> them after closing the program.
                >
                > Only the jpegs generated by the Preview button will be left on the
                > drive; PTGui cannot delete them because the preview application
                may
                > still be running. All other temp files are cleaned up properly.
                >
                > LoveFilm wrote:
                > > I Networked my PC and Mac, and assigned the Mac's hard drive as
                an
                > > additional temporary directory. Seemed to work well as I needed
                > > access to more HD space. But would writing to the Mac's larger /
                > > faster drive provide a speed benefit, especially since the
                rendering
                > > was being done over the network?
                >
                > Depends on what the speed bottleneck is. It's quite possible that
                the
                > networking overhead slows down the transfer speed. Just try by
                stitching
                > a large panorama.
                >
                > Some hardware recommendations (2.18):
                > http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#2_18
                >
                > > I'll have to try that again.
                > >
                > > Now - what about Enblend / Smartblend. Will they also use the
                > > external drive (if set as the preferred directory in PTgui's
                > > preferences) to write their temp files to. I know that on the
                Mac
                > > (when using Xblend to pBlend to Enblend combo) that the files are
                > > written to the boot directory (unless Enblend is started from the
                > > command line, I think).
                >
                > Enblend/smartblend will not use PTGui's temp dir setting. I'm not
                sure
                > where they write temp files though.
                >
                > Joost

              • Michael Norel
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
                  Smartblend allocate temporary files in Windows temporary directory
                  for current user. I plan to add option, to define directory for
                  temporary files.