Re: [PanoToolsNG] Smartblend speed

  • Michael Asgian
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1 8:51 AM
      Your hardware resources are kind of to small for what you do. Push more RAM if you can, you may have an empty slot... it will help alot, and ram is cheap lately.

      My problem wih smartblend are crashes... crashes my render machine from time to time... that's kind of anoying. especially when I'm running batch renderings... Dident try the latest beta yet,

      Anyone also experiences crashes? any fix?

      Mike

      LoveFilm <lovefilm@...> wrote: Can any one recount their rendering experiences using Smartblend?

      It gives great results but the processing time on my PC is outrageous.
      Is this normal?

      31 image pano (three images in the sky intentionally left out)

      8777 x 3072

      Processing 12 images per row.

      Smartblend reports a 5 hour + processing time to render just the first
      12 images! And about 18hrs to render all of them at once.

      I'm on a Dell laptop - 1.6 mhz, 500mg ram. There is about 3.5 gig
      availbale on my boot drive.

      I know this is not an optimal system for this type of work. Does
      anyone know what kind of realistic speed improvements I might expect
      with a higher end configuration?

      Also - I think I saw some posts regarding this somewhere. Is there
      any equivalent to Samrtblend for the Mac?

    • Manfred Kröger
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1 9:49 AM
        I'm not really sure more RAM will improve smartblend's speed. It seems
        to me that in order to process large images all the blending is done on
        the hdd. This would explain why smartblend needed 14 GB on my drive
        while the processor's and the RAM's usage was very low.

        Manfred

        Michael Asgian wrote:

        > Your hardware resources are kind of to small for what you do. Push
        > more RAM if you can, you may have an empty slot... it will help alot,
        > and ram is cheap lately.
        >
        > My problem wih smartblend are crashes... crashes my render machine
        > from time to time... that's kind of anoying. especially when I'm
        > running batch renderings... Dident try the latest beta yet,
        >
        > Anyone also experiences crashes? any fix?
        >
        > Mike
        >
        > LoveFilm <lovefilm@... <mailto:lovefilm%40yahoo.com>> wrote: Can
        > any one recount their rendering experiences using Smartblend?
        >
        > It gives great results but the processing time on my PC is outrageous.
        > Is this normal?
        >
        > 31 image pano (three images in the sky intentionally left out)
        >
        > 8777 x 3072
        >
        > Processing 12 images per row.
        >
        > Smartblend reports a 5 hour + processing time to render just the first
        > 12 images! And about 18hrs to render all of them at once.
        >
        > I'm on a Dell laptop - 1.6 mhz, 500mg ram. There is about 3.5 gig
        > availbale on my boot drive.
        >
        > I know this is not an optimal system for this type of work. Does
        > anyone know what kind of realistic speed improvements I might expect
        > with a higher end configuration?
        >
        > Also - I think I saw some posts regarding this somewhere. Is there
        > any equivalent to Samrtblend for the Mac?

      • Dave 360texas.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1 10:21 AM
          I think PTgui and Blending occurs on the Harddrive. I noticed a
          1/3rd decrease in stitching/blending time when in PTgui I assigned
          my 80gb external hard drive PTgui workspace.

          I also noticed that PTgui creates TMP work files on my external HD
          because I found 8 of them. I ask Joost if it was safe to remove
          them. He said yes, PTgui 5.8.4 creates them but does not remove
          them after closing the program.

          Dave

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Manfred Kröger
          <Manfred_Kroeger@...> wrote:

          > I'm not really sure more RAM will improve smartblend's speed. It
          seems
          > to me that in order to process large images all the blending is
          done on
          > the hdd. This would explain why smartblend needed 14 GB on my
          drive
          > while the processor's and the RAM's usage was very low.
          >
          > Manfred
          >
          > Michael Asgian wrote:
          > >
          > > Your hardware resources are kind of to small for what you do.
          Push
          > > more RAM if you can, you may have an empty slot... it will help
          alot,
          > > and ram is cheap lately.
          > >
          > > My problem wih smartblend are crashes... crashes my render
          machine
          > > from time to time... that's kind of anoying. especially when I'm
          > > running batch renderings... Dident try the latest beta yet,
          > >
          > > Anyone also experiences crashes? any fix?
          > >
          > > Mike
          > >
          > > LoveFilm <lovefilm@... <mailto:lovefilm%40yahoo.com>> wrote: Can
          > > any one recount their rendering experiences using Smartblend?
          > >
          > > It gives great results but the processing time on my PC is
          outrageous.
          > > Is this normal?
          > >
          > > 31 image pano (three images in the sky intentionally left out)
          > >
          > > 8777 x 3072
          > >
          > > Processing 12 images per row.
          > >
          > > Smartblend reports a 5 hour + processing time to render just the
          first
          > > 12 images! And about 18hrs to render all of them at once.
          > >
          > > I'm on a Dell laptop - 1.6 mhz, 500mg ram. There is about 3.5 gig
          > > availbale on my boot drive.
          > >
          > > I know this is not an optimal system for this type of work. Does
          > > anyone know what kind of realistic speed improvements I might
          expect
          > > with a higher end configuration?
          > >
          > > Also - I think I saw some posts regarding this somewhere. Is
          there
          > > any equivalent to Samrtblend for the Mac?

        • Fulvio Senore
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1 10:43 AM
            I am still using version 1.1.7 and ram surely improves its performance.
            When I stitch a pano (15 Mpx images), memory usage goes up to about 1.5
            GB for one or more very short moments.
            Now that I have 2GB of ram those are very short moments, when I had 1 GB
            the program started swapping and those moments were eternal.

            My opinion is that smartblend only uses the HD to read input images and
            write the output image. Of course with large images this can take some
            time. Then smartblend simply allocates memory from Windows when it needs
            it: if there is not enough memory Windows will start swapping. Some time
            ago, when I tried to modify enblend 1.x, I discovered that this is not
            an efficient way to handle a low memory situation. Explicitly swapping
            to temporary files from the application can be much faster. This is what
            enblend did: I disabled it and performance dropped.

            So having a lot of ram is very important for smartblend to run quickly:
            I have found that it is much faster then enblend 2.x.

            Fulvio Senore

            Manfred Kröger ha scritto:
            > I'm not really sure more RAM will improve smartblend's speed. It seems
            > to me that in order to process large images all the blending is done on
            > the hdd. This would explain why smartblend needed 14 GB on my drive
            > while the processor's and the RAM's usage was very low.
            >
            > Manfred
            >
            > Michael Asgian wrote:
            >
            >> Your hardware resources are kind of to small for what you do. Push
            >> more RAM if you can, you may have an empty slot... it will help alot,
            >> and ram is cheap lately.
            >>
            >> My problem wih smartblend are crashes... crashes my render machine
            >> from time to time... that's kind of anoying. especially when I'm
            >> running batch renderings... Dident try the latest beta yet,
            >>
            >> Anyone also experiences crashes? any fix?
            >>
            >> Mike
            >>
            >> LoveFilm <lovefilm@... <mailto:lovefilm%40yahoo.com>> wrote: Can
            >> any one recount their rendering experiences using Smartblend?
            >>
            >> It gives great results but the processing time on my PC is outrageous.
            >> Is this normal?
            >>
            >> 31 image pano (three images in the sky intentionally left out)
            >>
            >> 8777 x 3072
            >>
            >> Processing 12 images per row.
            >>
            >> Smartblend reports a 5 hour + processing time to render just the first
            >> 12 images! And about 18hrs to render all of them at once.
            >>
            >> I'm on a Dell laptop - 1.6 mhz, 500mg ram. There is about 3.5 gig
            >> availbale on my boot drive.
            >>
            >> I know this is not an optimal system for this type of work. Does
            >> anyone know what kind of realistic speed improvements I might expect
            >> with a higher end configuration?
            >>
            >> Also - I think I saw some posts regarding this somewhere. Is there
            >> any equivalent to Samrtblend for the Mac?

          • LoveFilm
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1 10:45 AM
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Dave 360texas.com"
              <texas360dave@...> wrote:

              > I think PTgui and Blending occurs on the Harddrive. I noticed a
              > 1/3rd decrease in stitching/blending time when in PTgui I assigned
              > my 80gb external hard drive PTgui workspace.
              >
              > I also noticed that PTgui creates TMP work files on my external HD
              > because I found 8 of them. I ask Joost if it was safe to remove
              > them. He said yes, PTgui 5.8.4 creates them but does not remove
              > them after closing the program.

              I Networked my PC and Mac, and assigned the Mac's hard drive as an
              additional temporary directory. Seemed to work well as I needed
              access to more HD space. But would writing to the Mac's larger /
              faster drive provide a speed benefit, especially since the rendering
              was being done over the network?

              I'll have to try that again.

              Now - what about Enblend / Smartblend. Will they also use the
              external drive (if set as the preferred directory in PTgui's
              preferences) to write their temp files to. I know that on the Mac
              (when using Xblend to pBlend to Enblend combo) that the files are
              written to the boot directory (unless Enblend is started from the
              command line, I think).
            • Joost Nieuwenhuijse
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1 11:31 AM
                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Dave 360texas.com"
                > <texas360dave@...> wrote:
                >> I think PTgui and Blending occurs on the Harddrive. I noticed a
                >> 1/3rd decrease in stitching/blending time when in PTgui I assigned
                >> my 80gb external hard drive PTgui workspace.
                >>
                >> I also noticed that PTgui creates TMP work files on my external HD
                >> because I found 8 of them. I ask Joost if it was safe to remove
                >> them. He said yes, PTgui 5.8.4 creates them but does not remove
                >> them after closing the program.

                Only the jpegs generated by the Preview button will be left on the
                drive; PTGui cannot delete them because the preview application may
                still be running. All other temp files are cleaned up properly.

                LoveFilm wrote:
                > I Networked my PC and Mac, and assigned the Mac's hard drive as an
                > additional temporary directory. Seemed to work well as I needed
                > access to more HD space. But would writing to the Mac's larger /
                > faster drive provide a speed benefit, especially since the rendering
                > was being done over the network?

                Depends on what the speed bottleneck is. It's quite possible that the
                networking overhead slows down the transfer speed. Just try by stitching
                a large panorama.

                Some hardware recommendations (2.18):
                http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#2_18

                > I'll have to try that again.
                >
                > Now - what about Enblend / Smartblend. Will they also use the
                > external drive (if set as the preferred directory in PTgui's
                > preferences) to write their temp files to. I know that on the Mac
                > (when using Xblend to pBlend to Enblend combo) that the files are
                > written to the boot directory (unless Enblend is started from the
                > command line, I think).

                Enblend/smartblend will not use PTGui's temp dir setting. I'm not sure
                where they write temp files though.

                Joost
              • Manfred Kröger
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1 2:32 PM
                  You're definitely talking about an outdated version of smartblend. Those
                  old versions were quite fast but they weren't able to handle large or 16
                  bit panos. Try the current version (or anything after 1.20, I think) on
                  a larger panorama and you will see that it's not Windows that's
                  swapping, it's smartblend! (I've seen my HDD's light flickering the
                  whole weekend while smartblend tried to blend a 274Mpx panorama. Memory
                  usage was only a few hundred MB out of my 2GB.)

                  If you ask me: On LoveFilm's laptop it's probably the 2.5'' drive that's
                  slowing the processing down.

                  Manfred

                  Fulvio Senore wrote:

                  > I am still using version 1.1.7 and ram surely improves its performance.
                  > When I stitch a pano (15 Mpx images), memory usage goes up to about 1.5
                  > GB for one or more very short moments.
                  > Now that I have 2GB of ram those are very short moments, when I had 1 GB
                  > the program started swapping and those moments were eternal.
                  >
                  > My opinion is that smartblend only uses the HD to read input images and
                  > write the output image. Of course with large images this can take some
                  > time. Then smartblend simply allocates memory from Windows when it needs
                  > it: if there is not enough memory Windows will start swapping. Some time
                  > ago, when I tried to modify enblend 1.x, I discovered that this is not
                  > an efficient way to handle a low memory situation. Explicitly swapping
                  > to temporary files from the application can be much faster. This is what
                  > enblend did: I disabled it and performance dropped.
                  >
                  > So having a lot of ram is very important for smartblend to run quickly:
                  > I have found that it is much faster then enblend 2.x.
                  >
                  > Fulvio Senore
                  >
                  > Manfred Kröger ha scritto:
                  > > I'm not really sure more RAM will improve smartblend's speed. It seems
                  > > to me that in order to process large images all the blending is done on
                  > > the hdd. This would explain why smartblend needed 14 GB on my drive
                  > > while the processor's and the RAM's usage was very low.
                  > >
                  > > Manfred
                  > >
                  > > Michael Asgian wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> Your hardware resources are kind of to small for what you do. Push
                  > >> more RAM if you can, you may have an empty slot... it will help alot,
                  > >> and ram is cheap lately.
                  > >>
                  > >> My problem wih smartblend are crashes... crashes my render machine
                  > >> from time to time... that's kind of anoying. especially when I'm
                  > >> running batch renderings... Dident try the latest beta yet,
                  > >>
                  > >> Anyone also experiences crashes? any fix?
                  > >>
                  > >> Mike
                  > >>
                  > >> LoveFilm <lovefilm@... <mailto:lovefilm%40yahoo.com>
                  > <mailto:lovefilm%40yahoo.com>> wrote: Can
                  > >> any one recount their rendering experiences using Smartblend?
                  > >>
                  > >> It gives great results but the processing time on my PC is outrageous.
                  > >> Is this normal?
                  > >>
                  > >> 31 image pano (three images in the sky intentionally left out)
                  > >>
                  > >> 8777 x 3072
                  > >>
                  > >> Processing 12 images per row.
                  > >>
                  > >> Smartblend reports a 5 hour + processing time to render just the first
                  > >> 12 images! And about 18hrs to render all of them at once.
                  > >>
                  > >> I'm on a Dell laptop - 1.6 mhz, 500mg ram. There is about 3.5 gig
                  > >> availbale on my boot drive.
                  > >>
                  > >> I know this is not an optimal system for this type of work. Does
                  > >> anyone know what kind of realistic speed improvements I might expect
                  > >> with a higher end configuration?
                  > >>
                  > >> Also - I think I saw some posts regarding this somewhere. Is there
                  > >> any equivalent to Samrtblend for the Mac?

                  > > --

                • Dave 360texas.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 1 5:42 PM
                    Thank you for clarifying the process. Maybe Enblend and Smartblend
                    authors can also help clarify where their work files are maintained.

                    Dave
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Joost Nieuwenhuijse <imim@...>
                    wrote:

                    > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Dave 360texas.com"
                    > > <texas360dave@> wrote:
                    > >> I think PTgui and Blending occurs on the Harddrive. I noticed a
                    > >> 1/3rd decrease in stitching/blending time when in PTgui I
                    assigned
                    > >> my 80gb external hard drive PTgui workspace.
                    > >>
                    > >> I also noticed that PTgui creates TMP work files on my external
                    HD
                    > >> because I found 8 of them. I ask Joost if it was safe to
                    remove
                    > >> them. He said yes, PTgui 5.8.4 creates them but does not
                    remove
                    > >> them after closing the program.
                    >
                    > Only the jpegs generated by the Preview button will be left on the
                    > drive; PTGui cannot delete them because the preview application
                    may
                    > still be running. All other temp files are cleaned up properly.
                    >
                    > LoveFilm wrote:
                    > > I Networked my PC and Mac, and assigned the Mac's hard drive as
                    an
                    > > additional temporary directory. Seemed to work well as I needed
                    > > access to more HD space. But would writing to the Mac's larger /
                    > > faster drive provide a speed benefit, especially since the
                    rendering
                    > > was being done over the network?
                    >
                    > Depends on what the speed bottleneck is. It's quite possible that
                    the
                    > networking overhead slows down the transfer speed. Just try by
                    stitching
                    > a large panorama.
                    >
                    > Some hardware recommendations (2.18):
                    > http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#2_18
                    >
                    > > I'll have to try that again.
                    > >
                    > > Now - what about Enblend / Smartblend. Will they also use the
                    > > external drive (if set as the preferred directory in PTgui's
                    > > preferences) to write their temp files to. I know that on the
                    Mac
                    > > (when using Xblend to pBlend to Enblend combo) that the files are
                    > > written to the boot directory (unless Enblend is started from the
                    > > command line, I think).
                    >
                    > Enblend/smartblend will not use PTGui's temp dir setting. I'm not
                    sure
                    > where they write temp files though.
                    >
                    > Joost

                  • Michael Norel
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 2 11:10 AM
                      Smartblend allocate temporary files in Windows temporary directory
                      for current user. I plan to add option, to define directory for
                      temporary files.