Re: Smartblend speed

  • Ingemar Bergmark
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans-Dieter Teschner" >
      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Bergmark" <ingemar@>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > Since I use a Nikkor 10.5mm with a Canon 20D, I take 8 photos
      (8.2Mpx)
      > > for a full sphere.
      > > Rendering these in Smartblend takes about 2 minutes.
      > > Rendering in Enblend takes about 3-4 minutes
      >
      > are these times for 8 or 16 bit images,
      >
      > does anyone know the relation for this difference?
      >
      > regards Hans-Dieter

      Sorry, I forgot to mention that I mostly use 8-bit images (for which
      the times above are for).

      I've fiddled around with 16-bit images when there is a high dynamic
      range, but I create two 8-bit images instead when necessary. I make
      one bright and one dark image with my raw converter and then use
      Photoshop and masks to combine the two.
      I know it may sound a little cumbersome, but somehow I find it easier
      to get the results I want...

      / Ingemar
    • Michael Asgian
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
        Your hardware resources are kind of to small for what you do. Push more RAM if you can, you may have an empty slot... it will help alot, and ram is cheap lately.

        My problem wih smartblend are crashes... crashes my render machine from time to time... that's kind of anoying. especially when I'm running batch renderings... Dident try the latest beta yet,

        Anyone also experiences crashes? any fix?

        Mike

        LoveFilm <lovefilm@...> wrote: Can any one recount their rendering experiences using Smartblend?

        It gives great results but the processing time on my PC is outrageous.
        Is this normal?

        31 image pano (three images in the sky intentionally left out)

        8777 x 3072

        Processing 12 images per row.

        Smartblend reports a 5 hour + processing time to render just the first
        12 images! And about 18hrs to render all of them at once.

        I'm on a Dell laptop - 1.6 mhz, 500mg ram. There is about 3.5 gig
        availbale on my boot drive.

        I know this is not an optimal system for this type of work. Does
        anyone know what kind of realistic speed improvements I might expect
        with a higher end configuration?

        Also - I think I saw some posts regarding this somewhere. Is there
        any equivalent to Samrtblend for the Mac?

      • Manfred Kröger
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
          I'm not really sure more RAM will improve smartblend's speed. It seems
          to me that in order to process large images all the blending is done on
          the hdd. This would explain why smartblend needed 14 GB on my drive
          while the processor's and the RAM's usage was very low.

          Manfred

          Michael Asgian wrote:

          > Your hardware resources are kind of to small for what you do. Push
          > more RAM if you can, you may have an empty slot... it will help alot,
          > and ram is cheap lately.
          >
          > My problem wih smartblend are crashes... crashes my render machine
          > from time to time... that's kind of anoying. especially when I'm
          > running batch renderings... Dident try the latest beta yet,
          >
          > Anyone also experiences crashes? any fix?
          >
          > Mike
          >
          > LoveFilm <lovefilm@... <mailto:lovefilm%40yahoo.com>> wrote: Can
          > any one recount their rendering experiences using Smartblend?
          >
          > It gives great results but the processing time on my PC is outrageous.
          > Is this normal?
          >
          > 31 image pano (three images in the sky intentionally left out)
          >
          > 8777 x 3072
          >
          > Processing 12 images per row.
          >
          > Smartblend reports a 5 hour + processing time to render just the first
          > 12 images! And about 18hrs to render all of them at once.
          >
          > I'm on a Dell laptop - 1.6 mhz, 500mg ram. There is about 3.5 gig
          > availbale on my boot drive.
          >
          > I know this is not an optimal system for this type of work. Does
          > anyone know what kind of realistic speed improvements I might expect
          > with a higher end configuration?
          >
          > Also - I think I saw some posts regarding this somewhere. Is there
          > any equivalent to Samrtblend for the Mac?

        • Dave 360texas.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
            I think PTgui and Blending occurs on the Harddrive. I noticed a
            1/3rd decrease in stitching/blending time when in PTgui I assigned
            my 80gb external hard drive PTgui workspace.

            I also noticed that PTgui creates TMP work files on my external HD
            because I found 8 of them. I ask Joost if it was safe to remove
            them. He said yes, PTgui 5.8.4 creates them but does not remove
            them after closing the program.

            Dave

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Manfred Kröger
            <Manfred_Kroeger@...> wrote:

            > I'm not really sure more RAM will improve smartblend's speed. It
            seems
            > to me that in order to process large images all the blending is
            done on
            > the hdd. This would explain why smartblend needed 14 GB on my
            drive
            > while the processor's and the RAM's usage was very low.
            >
            > Manfred
            >
            > Michael Asgian wrote:
            > >
            > > Your hardware resources are kind of to small for what you do.
            Push
            > > more RAM if you can, you may have an empty slot... it will help
            alot,
            > > and ram is cheap lately.
            > >
            > > My problem wih smartblend are crashes... crashes my render
            machine
            > > from time to time... that's kind of anoying. especially when I'm
            > > running batch renderings... Dident try the latest beta yet,
            > >
            > > Anyone also experiences crashes? any fix?
            > >
            > > Mike
            > >
            > > LoveFilm <lovefilm@... <mailto:lovefilm%40yahoo.com>> wrote: Can
            > > any one recount their rendering experiences using Smartblend?
            > >
            > > It gives great results but the processing time on my PC is
            outrageous.
            > > Is this normal?
            > >
            > > 31 image pano (three images in the sky intentionally left out)
            > >
            > > 8777 x 3072
            > >
            > > Processing 12 images per row.
            > >
            > > Smartblend reports a 5 hour + processing time to render just the
            first
            > > 12 images! And about 18hrs to render all of them at once.
            > >
            > > I'm on a Dell laptop - 1.6 mhz, 500mg ram. There is about 3.5 gig
            > > availbale on my boot drive.
            > >
            > > I know this is not an optimal system for this type of work. Does
            > > anyone know what kind of realistic speed improvements I might
            expect
            > > with a higher end configuration?
            > >
            > > Also - I think I saw some posts regarding this somewhere. Is
            there
            > > any equivalent to Samrtblend for the Mac?

          • Fulvio Senore
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
              I am still using version 1.1.7 and ram surely improves its performance.
              When I stitch a pano (15 Mpx images), memory usage goes up to about 1.5
              GB for one or more very short moments.
              Now that I have 2GB of ram those are very short moments, when I had 1 GB
              the program started swapping and those moments were eternal.

              My opinion is that smartblend only uses the HD to read input images and
              write the output image. Of course with large images this can take some
              time. Then smartblend simply allocates memory from Windows when it needs
              it: if there is not enough memory Windows will start swapping. Some time
              ago, when I tried to modify enblend 1.x, I discovered that this is not
              an efficient way to handle a low memory situation. Explicitly swapping
              to temporary files from the application can be much faster. This is what
              enblend did: I disabled it and performance dropped.

              So having a lot of ram is very important for smartblend to run quickly:
              I have found that it is much faster then enblend 2.x.

              Fulvio Senore

              Manfred Kröger ha scritto:
              > I'm not really sure more RAM will improve smartblend's speed. It seems
              > to me that in order to process large images all the blending is done on
              > the hdd. This would explain why smartblend needed 14 GB on my drive
              > while the processor's and the RAM's usage was very low.
              >
              > Manfred
              >
              > Michael Asgian wrote:
              >
              >> Your hardware resources are kind of to small for what you do. Push
              >> more RAM if you can, you may have an empty slot... it will help alot,
              >> and ram is cheap lately.
              >>
              >> My problem wih smartblend are crashes... crashes my render machine
              >> from time to time... that's kind of anoying. especially when I'm
              >> running batch renderings... Dident try the latest beta yet,
              >>
              >> Anyone also experiences crashes? any fix?
              >>
              >> Mike
              >>
              >> LoveFilm <lovefilm@... <mailto:lovefilm%40yahoo.com>> wrote: Can
              >> any one recount their rendering experiences using Smartblend?
              >>
              >> It gives great results but the processing time on my PC is outrageous.
              >> Is this normal?
              >>
              >> 31 image pano (three images in the sky intentionally left out)
              >>
              >> 8777 x 3072
              >>
              >> Processing 12 images per row.
              >>
              >> Smartblend reports a 5 hour + processing time to render just the first
              >> 12 images! And about 18hrs to render all of them at once.
              >>
              >> I'm on a Dell laptop - 1.6 mhz, 500mg ram. There is about 3.5 gig
              >> availbale on my boot drive.
              >>
              >> I know this is not an optimal system for this type of work. Does
              >> anyone know what kind of realistic speed improvements I might expect
              >> with a higher end configuration?
              >>
              >> Also - I think I saw some posts regarding this somewhere. Is there
              >> any equivalent to Samrtblend for the Mac?

            • LoveFilm
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Dave 360texas.com"
                <texas360dave@...> wrote:

                > I think PTgui and Blending occurs on the Harddrive. I noticed a
                > 1/3rd decrease in stitching/blending time when in PTgui I assigned
                > my 80gb external hard drive PTgui workspace.
                >
                > I also noticed that PTgui creates TMP work files on my external HD
                > because I found 8 of them. I ask Joost if it was safe to remove
                > them. He said yes, PTgui 5.8.4 creates them but does not remove
                > them after closing the program.

                I Networked my PC and Mac, and assigned the Mac's hard drive as an
                additional temporary directory. Seemed to work well as I needed
                access to more HD space. But would writing to the Mac's larger /
                faster drive provide a speed benefit, especially since the rendering
                was being done over the network?

                I'll have to try that again.

                Now - what about Enblend / Smartblend. Will they also use the
                external drive (if set as the preferred directory in PTgui's
                preferences) to write their temp files to. I know that on the Mac
                (when using Xblend to pBlend to Enblend combo) that the files are
                written to the boot directory (unless Enblend is started from the
                command line, I think).
              • Joost Nieuwenhuijse
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Dave 360texas.com"
                  > <texas360dave@...> wrote:
                  >> I think PTgui and Blending occurs on the Harddrive. I noticed a
                  >> 1/3rd decrease in stitching/blending time when in PTgui I assigned
                  >> my 80gb external hard drive PTgui workspace.
                  >>
                  >> I also noticed that PTgui creates TMP work files on my external HD
                  >> because I found 8 of them. I ask Joost if it was safe to remove
                  >> them. He said yes, PTgui 5.8.4 creates them but does not remove
                  >> them after closing the program.

                  Only the jpegs generated by the Preview button will be left on the
                  drive; PTGui cannot delete them because the preview application may
                  still be running. All other temp files are cleaned up properly.

                  LoveFilm wrote:
                  > I Networked my PC and Mac, and assigned the Mac's hard drive as an
                  > additional temporary directory. Seemed to work well as I needed
                  > access to more HD space. But would writing to the Mac's larger /
                  > faster drive provide a speed benefit, especially since the rendering
                  > was being done over the network?

                  Depends on what the speed bottleneck is. It's quite possible that the
                  networking overhead slows down the transfer speed. Just try by stitching
                  a large panorama.

                  Some hardware recommendations (2.18):
                  http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#2_18

                  > I'll have to try that again.
                  >
                  > Now - what about Enblend / Smartblend. Will they also use the
                  > external drive (if set as the preferred directory in PTgui's
                  > preferences) to write their temp files to. I know that on the Mac
                  > (when using Xblend to pBlend to Enblend combo) that the files are
                  > written to the boot directory (unless Enblend is started from the
                  > command line, I think).

                  Enblend/smartblend will not use PTGui's temp dir setting. I'm not sure
                  where they write temp files though.

                  Joost
                • Manfred Kröger
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
                    You're definitely talking about an outdated version of smartblend. Those
                    old versions were quite fast but they weren't able to handle large or 16
                    bit panos. Try the current version (or anything after 1.20, I think) on
                    a larger panorama and you will see that it's not Windows that's
                    swapping, it's smartblend! (I've seen my HDD's light flickering the
                    whole weekend while smartblend tried to blend a 274Mpx panorama. Memory
                    usage was only a few hundred MB out of my 2GB.)

                    If you ask me: On LoveFilm's laptop it's probably the 2.5'' drive that's
                    slowing the processing down.

                    Manfred

                    Fulvio Senore wrote:

                    > I am still using version 1.1.7 and ram surely improves its performance.
                    > When I stitch a pano (15 Mpx images), memory usage goes up to about 1.5
                    > GB for one or more very short moments.
                    > Now that I have 2GB of ram those are very short moments, when I had 1 GB
                    > the program started swapping and those moments were eternal.
                    >
                    > My opinion is that smartblend only uses the HD to read input images and
                    > write the output image. Of course with large images this can take some
                    > time. Then smartblend simply allocates memory from Windows when it needs
                    > it: if there is not enough memory Windows will start swapping. Some time
                    > ago, when I tried to modify enblend 1.x, I discovered that this is not
                    > an efficient way to handle a low memory situation. Explicitly swapping
                    > to temporary files from the application can be much faster. This is what
                    > enblend did: I disabled it and performance dropped.
                    >
                    > So having a lot of ram is very important for smartblend to run quickly:
                    > I have found that it is much faster then enblend 2.x.
                    >
                    > Fulvio Senore
                    >
                    > Manfred Kröger ha scritto:
                    > > I'm not really sure more RAM will improve smartblend's speed. It seems
                    > > to me that in order to process large images all the blending is done on
                    > > the hdd. This would explain why smartblend needed 14 GB on my drive
                    > > while the processor's and the RAM's usage was very low.
                    > >
                    > > Manfred
                    > >
                    > > Michael Asgian wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> Your hardware resources are kind of to small for what you do. Push
                    > >> more RAM if you can, you may have an empty slot... it will help alot,
                    > >> and ram is cheap lately.
                    > >>
                    > >> My problem wih smartblend are crashes... crashes my render machine
                    > >> from time to time... that's kind of anoying. especially when I'm
                    > >> running batch renderings... Dident try the latest beta yet,
                    > >>
                    > >> Anyone also experiences crashes? any fix?
                    > >>
                    > >> Mike
                    > >>
                    > >> LoveFilm <lovefilm@... <mailto:lovefilm%40yahoo.com>
                    > <mailto:lovefilm%40yahoo.com>> wrote: Can
                    > >> any one recount their rendering experiences using Smartblend?
                    > >>
                    > >> It gives great results but the processing time on my PC is outrageous.
                    > >> Is this normal?
                    > >>
                    > >> 31 image pano (three images in the sky intentionally left out)
                    > >>
                    > >> 8777 x 3072
                    > >>
                    > >> Processing 12 images per row.
                    > >>
                    > >> Smartblend reports a 5 hour + processing time to render just the first
                    > >> 12 images! And about 18hrs to render all of them at once.
                    > >>
                    > >> I'm on a Dell laptop - 1.6 mhz, 500mg ram. There is about 3.5 gig
                    > >> availbale on my boot drive.
                    > >>
                    > >> I know this is not an optimal system for this type of work. Does
                    > >> anyone know what kind of realistic speed improvements I might expect
                    > >> with a higher end configuration?
                    > >>
                    > >> Also - I think I saw some posts regarding this somewhere. Is there
                    > >> any equivalent to Samrtblend for the Mac?

                    > > --

                  • Dave 360texas.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
                      Thank you for clarifying the process. Maybe Enblend and Smartblend
                      authors can also help clarify where their work files are maintained.

                      Dave
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Joost Nieuwenhuijse <imim@...>
                      wrote:

                      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Dave 360texas.com"
                      > > <texas360dave@> wrote:
                      > >> I think PTgui and Blending occurs on the Harddrive. I noticed a
                      > >> 1/3rd decrease in stitching/blending time when in PTgui I
                      assigned
                      > >> my 80gb external hard drive PTgui workspace.
                      > >>
                      > >> I also noticed that PTgui creates TMP work files on my external
                      HD
                      > >> because I found 8 of them. I ask Joost if it was safe to
                      remove
                      > >> them. He said yes, PTgui 5.8.4 creates them but does not
                      remove
                      > >> them after closing the program.
                      >
                      > Only the jpegs generated by the Preview button will be left on the
                      > drive; PTGui cannot delete them because the preview application
                      may
                      > still be running. All other temp files are cleaned up properly.
                      >
                      > LoveFilm wrote:
                      > > I Networked my PC and Mac, and assigned the Mac's hard drive as
                      an
                      > > additional temporary directory. Seemed to work well as I needed
                      > > access to more HD space. But would writing to the Mac's larger /
                      > > faster drive provide a speed benefit, especially since the
                      rendering
                      > > was being done over the network?
                      >
                      > Depends on what the speed bottleneck is. It's quite possible that
                      the
                      > networking overhead slows down the transfer speed. Just try by
                      stitching
                      > a large panorama.
                      >
                      > Some hardware recommendations (2.18):
                      > http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#2_18
                      >
                      > > I'll have to try that again.
                      > >
                      > > Now - what about Enblend / Smartblend. Will they also use the
                      > > external drive (if set as the preferred directory in PTgui's
                      > > preferences) to write their temp files to. I know that on the
                      Mac
                      > > (when using Xblend to pBlend to Enblend combo) that the files are
                      > > written to the boot directory (unless Enblend is started from the
                      > > command line, I think).
                      >
                      > Enblend/smartblend will not use PTGui's temp dir setting. I'm not
                      sure
                      > where they write temp files though.
                      >
                      > Joost

                    • Michael Norel
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
                        Smartblend allocate temporary files in Windows temporary directory
                        for current user. I plan to add option, to define directory for
                        temporary files.