Long scenes panoramas

  • pb
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
      It look like SIGGRAPH 2006 would be an interesting place to visit.
      anyone near Boston who can report ?

      interesting new pano technics

      http://research.microsoft.com/~cohen/LongThings.pdf

      Per

    • Guillaume Fulchiron
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
        From: "pb" <panograf@...>

        > It look like SIGGRAPH 2006 would be an interesting place to visit.
        > anyone near Boston who can report ?
        >
        > interesting new pano technics
        >
        > http://research.microsoft.com/~cohen/LongThings.pdf
        >

        > Per

        What they call "strip pano" isn't really new.
        Remember Michael Koller and his seemlesscity project in SF:
        http://www.seamlesscity.com/s1.html

        Ken Turkowski also did a great work in Paris :
        http://www.worldserver.com/turk/quicktimevr/AbessesAscend.html

        On the same kind of flat strip, see the the amazing Bayeux Tapestry from Eric Lerch :
        http://panograph.free.fr/BayeuxTapestry.html

        Few years ago I did some hand held street linear pano as I called it :
        http://www.animatif.com/labo/labo.htm
        Manual stitch in photoshop, a lonnnnnng work...

        What looks very interesting with MS app it's their automatic Markov Random Field
        optimization.
        I will stay tune on that subject.
        Unfortunately I'm not in Boston.

        Guillaume
      • Serge Maandag (yahoo)
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 11, 2006
          > What they call "strip pano" isn't really new.
          > Remember Michael Koller and his seemlesscity project in SF:
          > http://www.seamlesscity.com/s1.html

          A bit more simple, but it counts:

          In 2001 I walked beneath the ceiling of the Dali museum in Figueras and
          while walking, I took 5 shots of the ceiling of the "Palace of the Wind"
          chamber.
          http://panorama.maandag.com/DaliMusee/LDaliCeiling.jpg

          Serge.
        • michel thoby
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 11, 2006
            Le 11 août 06 à 10:58, Serge Maandag (yahoo) a écrit :

            >> What they call "strip pano" isn't really new.
            >> Remember Michael Koller and his seemlesscity project in SF:
            >> http://www.seamlesscity.com/s1.html
            >
            > A bit more simple, but it counts:
            >
            > In 2001 I walked beneath the ceiling of the Dali museum in Figueras
            > and
            > while walking, I took 5 shots of the ceiling of the "Palace of the
            > Wind"
            > chamber.
            > http://panorama.maandag.com/DaliMusee/LDaliCeiling.jpg
            >
            > Serge.

            I had also made a very similar scene: This is a one hundred meter
            long painting that was done on the ceiling of the "arcades" along the
            main side of la Place du Capitole in Toulouse:
            http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Web_Gallery_&_Tests/Moretti.html

            The famous french painter Moretti died last year.

            Michel
          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 11, 2006
              World's longest printed photograph
              http://www.nhb.gov.sg/ACM/Exhibits/PastExhibitions/Heritageofangkor.ht

              the link refers to a long photo of Angkor reliefs done by a Prof
              Poncar and team a few years back with a film-based rollout camera

              Peter Murphy

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, michel thoby <thobymichel@...>