Re: IPIX is history

  • hmmsomethingelse
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
      I believe they stopped this a while ago. They have been offering their
      software as an anual subscription, as many panos as you can make. What
      happens when the year is up I don't know.

      They still haven't mentioned anything on the website. Its possible
      bankruptcy means they can continue trading so the profitable pano bit
      may limp on for a while. I understand it had very large margins, over
      50% and still a couple of million in revenue a year, though probably
      not much future. Maybe realviz of someone will buy it up.

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Crossland"
      <nick.panoptics@...> wrote:
      > As I understood it, the software business model was built around users
      > purchasing license 'credits' - e.g. to make one pano, you had to buy
      one credit.
      > With no one to buy credits off, does this mean that the Ipix
      software is now useless?
    • fierodeval
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
        Only one programmer is needed to improve a viewer and to continue its
        development. Ipix was a company with the resources and economical
        capacity to do it. Then, why was not Ipix viewer improved for years? I
        think, Ipix was only speculation.

        fiero
      • Nick Crossland
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
          Microsoft seem to be doing a lot of stuff with panoramic photography (both
          from a consumer perspective, e.g. Photosynth) and corporate (I saw a demo of
          their 360 degree video conferencing). They might well have the business need
          and deep enough pockets to pick up a lot of Ipix's IP.