Re: [PanoToolsNG] IPIX is history

  • Ian Wood
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1 2:46 AM
      A couple of years ago they offered an alternative licensing scheme
      that didn't involve individual pano payments. But yes, if anyone has
      an older version of the software I imagine that they are now up a
      smelly river without means of locomotion...

      Ian

      On 1 Aug 2006, at 09:46, Nick Crossland wrote:

      > As I understood it, the software business model was built around users
      > purchasing license 'credits' - e.g. to make one pano, you had to
      > buy one
      > credit.
      >
      > With no one to buy credits off, does this mean that the Ipix
      > software is now
      > useless?

    • hmmsomethingelse
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1 2:48 AM
        I believe they stopped this a while ago. They have been offering their
        software as an anual subscription, as many panos as you can make. What
        happens when the year is up I don't know.

        They still haven't mentioned anything on the website. Its possible
        bankruptcy means they can continue trading so the profitable pano bit
        may limp on for a while. I understand it had very large margins, over
        50% and still a couple of million in revenue a year, though probably
        not much future. Maybe realviz of someone will buy it up.

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Crossland"
        <nick.panoptics@...> wrote:
        > As I understood it, the software business model was built around users
        > purchasing license 'credits' - e.g. to make one pano, you had to buy
        one credit.
        > With no one to buy credits off, does this mean that the Ipix
        software is now useless?
      • fierodeval
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1 7:45 AM
          Only one programmer is needed to improve a viewer and to continue its
          development. Ipix was a company with the resources and economical
          capacity to do it. Then, why was not Ipix viewer improved for years? I
          think, Ipix was only speculation.

          fiero
        • Nick Crossland
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 2 7:51 AM
            Microsoft seem to be doing a lot of stuff with panoramic photography (both
            from a consumer perspective, e.g. Photosynth) and corporate (I saw a demo of
            their 360 degree video conferencing). They might well have the business need
            and deep enough pockets to pick up a lot of Ipix's IP.