Re: [PanoToolsNG] IPIX is history

  • Nick Crossland
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
      As I understood it, the software business model was built around users
      purchasing license 'credits' - e.g. to make one pano, you had to buy one
      credit.

      With no one to buy credits off, does this mean that the Ipix software is now
      useless?

      On 31/07/06, Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...> wrote:

      > This will surely be of interest to the members of this group:
      >

      > http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/business/article/0,1406,KNS_376_4878369,00.html
      >
      > Without knowing any more details, I would say that this doesn't mean any
      > real or perceived risk presented by the infamous IPIX patents goes away -
      > patents are often some most valuable items to be liquidated as part of
      > such a business collapse, and very often people who buy patents in such
      > cases are more aggressive than the previous owners about squeezing any
      > value from them that they believe may exist.
      >
      > Nevertheless, I still wonder what this holds for the self-imposed limits
      > of the PanoTools developers, who've painstakenly/painfully avoided
      > conflict with IPIX by limiting the functionality of the mainline PT
      > library. It's not clear to me whether there has been any real threat in
      > recent years, and whether there's truly any risk left to making the PT
      > libraries fully functional (with regard to fisheyes). Of course I don't
      > expect our dedicated developers to take any undue risk, but perhaps this
      > will change the thinking even somewhat.
      >
      > Cheers and huzzah!
      > -R

    • Ian Wood
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
        A couple of years ago they offered an alternative licensing scheme
        that didn't involve individual pano payments. But yes, if anyone has
        an older version of the software I imagine that they are now up a
        smelly river without means of locomotion...

        Ian

        On 1 Aug 2006, at 09:46, Nick Crossland wrote:

        > As I understood it, the software business model was built around users
        > purchasing license 'credits' - e.g. to make one pano, you had to
        > buy one
        > credit.
        >
        > With no one to buy credits off, does this mean that the Ipix
        > software is now
        > useless?

      • hmmsomethingelse
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
          I believe they stopped this a while ago. They have been offering their
          software as an anual subscription, as many panos as you can make. What
          happens when the year is up I don't know.

          They still haven't mentioned anything on the website. Its possible
          bankruptcy means they can continue trading so the profitable pano bit
          may limp on for a while. I understand it had very large margins, over
          50% and still a couple of million in revenue a year, though probably
          not much future. Maybe realviz of someone will buy it up.

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Crossland"
          <nick.panoptics@...> wrote:
          > As I understood it, the software business model was built around users
          > purchasing license 'credits' - e.g. to make one pano, you had to buy
          one credit.
          > With no one to buy credits off, does this mean that the Ipix
          software is now useless?
        • fierodeval
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
            Only one programmer is needed to improve a viewer and to continue its
            development. Ipix was a company with the resources and economical
            capacity to do it. Then, why was not Ipix viewer improved for years? I
            think, Ipix was only speculation.

            fiero
          • Nick Crossland
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
              Microsoft seem to be doing a lot of stuff with panoramic photography (both
              from a consumer perspective, e.g. Photosynth) and corporate (I saw a demo of
              their 360 degree video conferencing). They might well have the business need
              and deep enough pockets to pick up a lot of Ipix's IP.