Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: IPIX is history

  • Luca Vascon
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
      now is ford oaxal turn....
      :-)

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Kathy Wheeler
      To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 2:08 AM
      Subject: Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: IPIX is history

      On 01/08/2006, at 7:56 AM, hmmsomethingelse wrote:
      > All rather sad to be honest.
      > http://tinyurl.com/emlb9

      Ummm ... nope. Can't find a single sympathetic thought for them.

      > google news is now reporting they have stopped the stock trading and
      > declared bankruptcy.

      "Chapter 7" ... "he's dead Jim**" ...

      KathyW.

      (**appologies to Bones - a Star Trek reference ;-)

    • Nick Crossland
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
        As I understood it, the software business model was built around users
        purchasing license 'credits' - e.g. to make one pano, you had to buy one
        credit.

        With no one to buy credits off, does this mean that the Ipix software is now
        useless?

        On 31/07/06, Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...> wrote:

        > This will surely be of interest to the members of this group:
        >

        > http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/business/article/0,1406,KNS_376_4878369,00.html
        >
        > Without knowing any more details, I would say that this doesn't mean any
        > real or perceived risk presented by the infamous IPIX patents goes away -
        > patents are often some most valuable items to be liquidated as part of
        > such a business collapse, and very often people who buy patents in such
        > cases are more aggressive than the previous owners about squeezing any
        > value from them that they believe may exist.
        >
        > Nevertheless, I still wonder what this holds for the self-imposed limits
        > of the PanoTools developers, who've painstakenly/painfully avoided
        > conflict with IPIX by limiting the functionality of the mainline PT
        > library. It's not clear to me whether there has been any real threat in
        > recent years, and whether there's truly any risk left to making the PT
        > libraries fully functional (with regard to fisheyes). Of course I don't
        > expect our dedicated developers to take any undue risk, but perhaps this
        > will change the thinking even somewhat.
        >
        > Cheers and huzzah!
        > -R

      • Ian Wood
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
          A couple of years ago they offered an alternative licensing scheme
          that didn't involve individual pano payments. But yes, if anyone has
          an older version of the software I imagine that they are now up a
          smelly river without means of locomotion...

          Ian

          On 1 Aug 2006, at 09:46, Nick Crossland wrote:

          > As I understood it, the software business model was built around users
          > purchasing license 'credits' - e.g. to make one pano, you had to
          > buy one
          > credit.
          >
          > With no one to buy credits off, does this mean that the Ipix
          > software is now
          > useless?

        • hmmsomethingelse
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
            I believe they stopped this a while ago. They have been offering their
            software as an anual subscription, as many panos as you can make. What
            happens when the year is up I don't know.

            They still haven't mentioned anything on the website. Its possible
            bankruptcy means they can continue trading so the profitable pano bit
            may limp on for a while. I understand it had very large margins, over
            50% and still a couple of million in revenue a year, though probably
            not much future. Maybe realviz of someone will buy it up.

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Crossland"
            <nick.panoptics@...> wrote:
            > As I understood it, the software business model was built around users
            > purchasing license 'credits' - e.g. to make one pano, you had to buy
            one credit.
            > With no one to buy credits off, does this mean that the Ipix
            software is now useless?
          • fierodeval
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
              Only one programmer is needed to improve a viewer and to continue its
              development. Ipix was a company with the resources and economical
              capacity to do it. Then, why was not Ipix viewer improved for years? I
              think, Ipix was only speculation.

              fiero
            • Nick Crossland
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
                Microsoft seem to be doing a lot of stuff with panoramic photography (both
                from a consumer perspective, e.g. Photosynth) and corporate (I saw a demo of
                their 360 degree video conferencing). They might well have the business need
                and deep enough pockets to pick up a lot of Ipix's IP.