Re: IPIX is history

  • Brian Thomas
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
      I'm guessing here but I think Prof Dersch might have joined you in
      that toast... with a wry smile on his face :-)

      Brian.

      > Tonight I went to my favorite wine store and bought a nice bottle. A
      > toast to justice to share with all other list members.....
    • Luca Vascon
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
        now is ford oaxal turn....
        :-)

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
          As I understood it, the software business model was built around users
          purchasing license 'credits' - e.g. to make one pano, you had to buy one
          credit.

          With no one to buy credits off, does this mean that the Ipix software is now
          useless?

          On 31/07/06, Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...> wrote:

          > This will surely be of interest to the members of this group:
          >

          > http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/business/article/0,1406,KNS_376_4878369,00.html
          >
          > Without knowing any more details, I would say that this doesn't mean any
          > real or perceived risk presented by the infamous IPIX patents goes away -
          > patents are often some most valuable items to be liquidated as part of
          > such a business collapse, and very often people who buy patents in such
          > cases are more aggressive than the previous owners about squeezing any
          > value from them that they believe may exist.
          >
          > Nevertheless, I still wonder what this holds for the self-imposed limits
          > of the PanoTools developers, who've painstakenly/painfully avoided
          > conflict with IPIX by limiting the functionality of the mainline PT
          > library. It's not clear to me whether there has been any real threat in
          > recent years, and whether there's truly any risk left to making the PT
          > libraries fully functional (with regard to fisheyes). Of course I don't
          > expect our dedicated developers to take any undue risk, but perhaps this
          > will change the thinking even somewhat.
          >
          > Cheers and huzzah!
          > -R

        • Ian Wood
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
            A couple of years ago they offered an alternative licensing scheme
            that didn't involve individual pano payments. But yes, if anyone has
            an older version of the software I imagine that they are now up a
            smelly river without means of locomotion...

            Ian

            On 1 Aug 2006, at 09:46, Nick Crossland wrote:

            > As I understood it, the software business model was built around users
            > purchasing license 'credits' - e.g. to make one pano, you had to
            > buy one
            > credit.
            >
            > With no one to buy credits off, does this mean that the Ipix
            > software is now
            > useless?

          • hmmsomethingelse
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
              I believe they stopped this a while ago. They have been offering their
              software as an anual subscription, as many panos as you can make. What
              happens when the year is up I don't know.

              They still haven't mentioned anything on the website. Its possible
              bankruptcy means they can continue trading so the profitable pano bit
              may limp on for a while. I understand it had very large margins, over
              50% and still a couple of million in revenue a year, though probably
              not much future. Maybe realviz of someone will buy it up.

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Crossland"
              <nick.panoptics@...> wrote:
              > As I understood it, the software business model was built around users
              > purchasing license 'credits' - e.g. to make one pano, you had to buy
              one credit.
              > With no one to buy credits off, does this mean that the Ipix
              software is now useless?
            • fierodeval
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
                Only one programmer is needed to improve a viewer and to continue its
                development. Ipix was a company with the resources and economical
                capacity to do it. Then, why was not Ipix viewer improved for years? I
                think, Ipix was only speculation.

                fiero
              • Nick Crossland
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
                  Microsoft seem to be doing a lot of stuff with panoramic photography (both
                  from a consumer perspective, e.g. Photosynth) and corporate (I saw a demo of
                  their 360 degree video conferencing). They might well have the business need
                  and deep enough pockets to pick up a lot of Ipix's IP.