Re: IPIX is history

  • Scott Rowed
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 31, 2006
      Tonight I went to my favorite wine store and bought a nice bottle. A
      toast to justice to share with all other list members.....

      Scott

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...> wrote:

      > On 01/08/2006, at 7:56 AM, hmmsomethingelse wrote:
      > > All rather sad to be honest.
      > > http://tinyurl.com/emlb9
      >
      > Ummm ... nope. Can't find a single sympathetic thought for them.

    • tflyfish2002
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 31, 2006
        Before you all get too carried away over the death of IPIX, remember
        the valued asset that they have is the patent for the 360 pano using
        fisheye. I have no doubt that someone else will purchase it and might
        well enforce it in a more vigorous fashion than IPIX did over the last
        few years. It might well place a lot of us in a more difficult
        situation. Better the Devil that you know.

        Bazzer
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Rowed" <scott_rowd@...> wrote:

        > Tonight I went to my favorite wine store and bought a nice bottle. A
        > toast to justice to share with all other list members.....
        >
        > Scott
        >
        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@> wrote:
        > >

        > > On 01/08/2006, at 7:56 AM, hmmsomethingelse wrote:
        > > > All rather sad to be honest.
        > > > http://tinyurl.com/emlb9
        > >
        > > Ummm ... nope. Can't find a single sympathetic thought for them.

      • Kathy Wheeler
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 31, 2006
          On 01/08/2006, at 3:20 PM, tflyfish2002 wrote:
          > Before you all get too carried away over the death of IPIX, remember
          > the valued asset that they have is the patent for the 360 pano using
          > fisheye. I have no doubt that someone else will purchase it and might
          > well enforce it in a more vigorous fashion than IPIX did over the last
          > few years. It might well place a lot of us in a more difficult
          > situation. Better the Devil that you know.

          If anyone is silly enough to do that the community will turn on
          "them" as it did on ipoo and "they" may well suffer the same fate.

          But hang on - I seem to remember Ford Oxaal was able to prove his
          claim and ipoo was just licencing it back ... no matter, the above
          comment still stands regardless of who if anyone takes the "patent" up.

          KathyW.
        • Brian Thomas
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
            I'm guessing here but I think Prof Dersch might have joined you in
            that toast... with a wry smile on his face :-)

            Brian.

            > Tonight I went to my favorite wine store and bought a nice bottle. A
            > toast to justice to share with all other list members.....
          • Luca Vascon
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
              now is ford oaxal turn....
              :-)

              On 01/08/2006, at 7:56 AM, hmmsomethingelse wrote:
              > All rather sad to be honest.
              > http://tinyurl.com/emlb9

              Ummm ... nope. Can't find a single sympathetic thought for them.

              > google news is now reporting they have stopped the stock trading and
              > declared bankruptcy.

              "Chapter 7" ... "he's dead Jim**" ...

              KathyW.

              (**appologies to Bones - a Star Trek reference ;-)

            • Nick Crossland
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
                As I understood it, the software business model was built around users
                purchasing license 'credits' - e.g. to make one pano, you had to buy one
                credit.

                With no one to buy credits off, does this mean that the Ipix software is now
                useless?

                On 31/07/06, Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...> wrote:

                > This will surely be of interest to the members of this group:
                >

                > http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/business/article/0,1406,KNS_376_4878369,00.html
                >
                > Without knowing any more details, I would say that this doesn't mean any
                > real or perceived risk presented by the infamous IPIX patents goes away -
                > patents are often some most valuable items to be liquidated as part of
                > such a business collapse, and very often people who buy patents in such
                > cases are more aggressive than the previous owners about squeezing any
                > value from them that they believe may exist.
                >
                > Nevertheless, I still wonder what this holds for the self-imposed limits
                > of the PanoTools developers, who've painstakenly/painfully avoided
                > conflict with IPIX by limiting the functionality of the mainline PT
                > library. It's not clear to me whether there has been any real threat in
                > recent years, and whether there's truly any risk left to making the PT
                > libraries fully functional (with regard to fisheyes). Of course I don't
                > expect our dedicated developers to take any undue risk, but perhaps this
                > will change the thinking even somewhat.
                >
                > Cheers and huzzah!
                > -R

              • Ian Wood
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
                  A couple of years ago they offered an alternative licensing scheme
                  that didn't involve individual pano payments. But yes, if anyone has
                  an older version of the software I imagine that they are now up a
                  smelly river without means of locomotion...

                  Ian

                  On 1 Aug 2006, at 09:46, Nick Crossland wrote:

                  > As I understood it, the software business model was built around users
                  > purchasing license 'credits' - e.g. to make one pano, you had to
                  > buy one
                  > credit.
                  >
                  > With no one to buy credits off, does this mean that the Ipix
                  > software is now
                  > useless?

                • hmmsomethingelse
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
                    I believe they stopped this a while ago. They have been offering their
                    software as an anual subscription, as many panos as you can make. What
                    happens when the year is up I don't know.

                    They still haven't mentioned anything on the website. Its possible
                    bankruptcy means they can continue trading so the profitable pano bit
                    may limp on for a while. I understand it had very large margins, over
                    50% and still a couple of million in revenue a year, though probably
                    not much future. Maybe realviz of someone will buy it up.

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Crossland"
                    <nick.panoptics@...> wrote:
                    > As I understood it, the software business model was built around users
                    > purchasing license 'credits' - e.g. to make one pano, you had to buy
                    one credit.
                    > With no one to buy credits off, does this mean that the Ipix
                    software is now useless?
                  • fierodeval
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
                      Only one programmer is needed to improve a viewer and to continue its
                      development. Ipix was a company with the resources and economical
                      capacity to do it. Then, why was not Ipix viewer improved for years? I
                      think, Ipix was only speculation.

                      fiero
                    • Nick Crossland
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
                        Microsoft seem to be doing a lot of stuff with panoramic photography (both
                        from a consumer perspective, e.g. Photosynth) and corporate (I saw a demo of
                        their 360 degree video conferencing). They might well have the business need
                        and deep enough pockets to pick up a lot of Ipix's IP.