Windows Firefox 1.5.0.5 will not display java panoramas

  • russellcobley2004
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2006
      Hi everyone,

      For some time I have not been able to get Firefox v.1.5.0.5 to display
      360x180java based panos. I can get all web pages to load but the area
      where I would expect to see the pano is blank. I am using a PC running
      Windows XP Pro SP2, with the latest Sun Java (v.1.5.0 build
      1.5.0_07-b03). I know that the original PC release of Firfox presented
      no problems. I have unsuccessfully tested on loads of different websites!

      I have disabled my software firwall (including ad blocking) and AV.
      This makes no difference. I have also ensured that Java is enabled in
      Firefox and disabled the Adblock plugin for Firefox. Nothing works at
      all! Firefox does not crash, it just will not display the panos!

      With the same version of Sun Java I can view java based panos in PC
      versions of Internet Explorer v.6.0.2, Opera v.7.54 and Netscape V.7.2
      without fault.

      Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Does anyone have any
      advice on how to resolve the problem?

      Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

      Kind regards,
      Russell Cobley
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
        russellcobley2004 <russellcobley@...> writes:

        > For some time I have not been able to get Firefox v.1.5.0.5 to display
        > 360x180java based panos. I can get all web pages to load but the area
        > where I would expect to see the pano is blank. I am using a PC running
        > Windows XP Pro SP2, with the latest Sun Java (v.1.5.0 build
        > 1.5.0_07-b03). I know that the original PC release of Firfox presented
        > no problems. I have unsuccessfully tested on loads of different websites!

        From which version did you upgrade? Anything works fine here, FF 1.5.0.5 Sun
        Java 1.5.0_06

        Try disabling extensions one by one. If this doesn't help get the Open Java
        Console extension from https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/141/ and see whether
        there is an error. Then read the FF Java FAQ:
        http://kb.mozillazine.org/Java#Java-related_errors There are Links to two test
        pages...

        If anything doesn't help deinstall and install again.

        best regards
        Erik
      • Kathy Wheeler
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
          > russellcobley2004 <russellcobley@...> writes:
          >
          >> For some time I have not been able to get Firefox v.1.5.0.5 to
          >> display
          >> 360x180java based panos. I can get all web pages to load but the area
          >> where I would expect to see the pano is blank. I am using a PC
          >> running
          >> Windows XP Pro SP2, with the latest Sun Java (v.1.5.0 build
          >> 1.5.0_07-b03). I know that the original PC release of Firfox
          >> presented
          >> no problems. I have unsuccessfully tested on loads of different
          >> websites!

          Someone mentioned not so long ago that deep in the bowels of Firefox
          is a checkbox to allow plugins. That might be turned off by default
          in an upgraded / new installation of Firefox. Check your preferences
          (or whatever FF for windows calls them).

          Good luck,
          KathyW.
        • Luca Vascon
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
            I'm looking for it...
            no way!
            :-/

            >> For some time I have not been able to get Firefox v.1.5.0.5 to
            >> display
            >> 360x180java based panos. I can get all web pages to load but the area
            >> where I would expect to see the pano is blank. I am using a PC
            >> running
            >> Windows XP Pro SP2, with the latest Sun Java (v.1.5.0 build
            >> 1.5.0_07-b03). I know that the original PC release of Firfox
            >> presented
            >> no problems. I have unsuccessfully tested on loads of different
            >> websites!

            Someone mentioned not so long ago that deep in the bowels of Firefox
            is a checkbox to allow plugins. That might be turned off by default
            in an upgraded / new installation of Firefox. Check your preferences
            (or whatever FF for windows calls them).

            Good luck,
            KathyW.

          • Ingemar Bergmark
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "russellcobley2004"
              <russellcobley@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone,
              >
              > For some time I have not been able to get Firefox v.1.5.0.5 to display
              > 360x180java based panos.

              Hi Russell,

              I hadn't used Firefox 1.5 in a long time, so I decided to give it a try.
              I already had Java 1.5.0_07-b03 so I downloaded Firefox 1.5.0.5 and
              installed it.
              Fortunately (or maybe I should say unfortunately), it works like a
              charm! No problem with Java panoramas at all...

              There are a couple of things I can think of;
              1) This was the first time Firefox was installed on my PC, so no
              old "junk"-settings anywhere...
              2) Maybe Java might be switched off in your configuration. Try going to
              Tools->Options->Content and make sure Enable Java and Enable JavaScript
              are checked...

              I'll post more if I find anything else...

              Regards,
              Ingemar Bergmark
              http://panoramas.bergmark.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
                On Tuesday, August 01, 2006 at 20:25, Kathy Wheeler wrote:

                > Someone mentioned not so long ago that deep in the bowels of Firefox
                > is a checkbox to allow plugins.

                That was Opera:
                http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools.ng/758

                best regards

                http://www.erik-krause.de/
              • Hans Nyberg
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006

                  > On Tuesday, August 01, 2006 at 20:25, Kathy Wheeler wrote:
                  >
                  > > Someone mentioned not so long ago that deep in the bowels of Firefox
                  > > is a checkbox to allow plugins.

                  There is a checkbox for JAVA not for plugins.

                  However I believe the problem is something else.
                  I have just downloaded the last Firefox on my almost fresh installation of Windows XP
                  updated to SP2 (in Virtual PC)
                  I did not have Firefox installed but both Quicktime, Java and Flash was working perfect in
                  IE.

                  Quicktime also worked fine at once in Firefox but both Flash and Java says I need plugin.
                  I followed the link which came up as a menu and it installed an update
                  J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6.

                  After that Java displayed fine.