RE: [PanoToolsNG] Re: portable storage devices

  • Rick Drew
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 3, 2007
      I have a 30 gig storage device. Never use it. CF cards are so affordable
      now I never need it! I purchased three 4 gig cards last month for $55 each!
      On RAW, it's over 800 images per card. I just completed a four hour photo
      shoot - never changed cards - and had room to spare after 700+ images.
      Storage devices are facing a huge problem. Memory is dirt cheap, HDD's are
      not. If I calculate it out, the storage device is the same cost or a little
      more per MB.

      Rick Drew

    • jimiscaro
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 3, 2007
        Hello.

        It seems that most people that I know have iPods. Apple sells a nifty
        little adapter that plugs into the base of the iPod and allows for a
        USB cable to be plugged in. When you connect your camera the iPod
        sees it and downloads the camera's content(not the fastest process).
        At the end of the process it asks if you want to clear the card. ( I
        never do). It's a handy backup, if you have an iPod, and you can view
        the pics.

        Jim
      • Pat Swovelin
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 3, 2007
          On 7/3/2007 2:11 PM, Rick Drew rambled on about ...:
          > I have a 30 gig storage device. Never use it. CF cards are so affordable
          > now I never need it! I purchased three 4 gig cards last month for $55
          > each!
          > On RAW, it's over 800 images per card. I just completed a four hour photo
          > shoot - never changed cards - and had room to spare after 700+ images.
          > Storage devices are facing a huge problem. Memory is dirt cheap, HDD's are
          > not. If I calculate it out, the storage device is the same cost or a
          > little
          > more per MB.

          For the $210 you spent on 4 4GB cards I bought a Wolverine 60GB PSD for
          $80 and had $85 left over (to buy more CF cards or whatever). Yes you
          need several cards but the *real* advantage of a PSD is being able to
          take a really small lightweight device with you into the field and be
          able to backup your CF (or whatever) cards when you've over the hills
          and far away (from your notebook and electricity) and aren't coming back
          for days and days.

          > Rick Drew

          Pat Swovelin
          Cool Guy @ Large
        • Mark D. Fink
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 4, 2007
            Or you can be really paranoid like me. I just got back from two weeks in
            Greece. I have an old Minds@Work digital wallet that I used to use regularly
            to offload CF cards in the field. Since buying two 2GB cards recently, I no
            longer need that functionality. At the end of the day, I upload all the
            photos to my laptop in the hotel room, then run an xcopy command (like
            xcopy.exe "h:\travel\*.*" g:\travel /d /s /y) which finds all new files on
            the laptop and copies them to the digital wallet.

            Here's where the paranoia kicks in. On the way home, I pack my laptop in a
            carryon rolling suitcase and the digital wallet in my camera bag. Good
            thing, because London is equally (and justifiably) paranoid. You are only
            allowed ONE carryon. So, I checked the rolling suitcase with my laptop into
            the luggage compartment and took my camera case on board. Worst case
            scenario is that if they lost or damaged my suitcase with the laptop, I'd
            still have all of my images on the digital wallet.

            Redundancy is rarely necessary, but when stuff hits the fan, it's nice to
            have a second copy of the stuff. :o)

            Mark

            www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>

            www.northernlight.net <http://www.northernlight.net/>

            On 7/3/2007 2:11 PM, Rick Drew rambled on about ...:
            > I have a 30 gig storage device. Never use it. CF cards are so affordable
            > now I never need it! I purchased three 4 gig cards last month for $55
            > each!
            > On RAW, it's over 800 images per card. I just completed a four hour photo
            > shoot - never changed cards - and had room to spare after 700+ images.
            > Storage devices are facing a huge problem. Memory is dirt cheap, HDD's are
            > not. If I calculate it out, the storage device is the same cost or a
            > little
            > more per MB.

            For the $210 you spent on 4 4GB cards I bought a Wolverine 60GB PSD for
            $80 and had $85 left over (to buy more CF cards or whatever). Yes you
            need several cards but the *real* advantage of a PSD is being able to
            take a really small lightweight device with you into the field and be
            able to backup your CF (or whatever) cards when you've over the hills
            and far away (from your notebook and electricity) and aren't coming back
            for days and days.

            > Rick Drew

            Pat Swovelin
            Cool Guy @ Large

          • Alexander Feldmann
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 5, 2007
              I do not call that paranoid, but rather good practice ;-)

              I basically do the same, but every evening I burn the images to DVD on the
              internal drive on the laptop. As I want to have a backup of my untouched
              raw-files anyway, this already saves me a step back home and gives me a
              backup of all stuff I shoot.

              Regarding travelling, I always try to carry all technical equipment on
              board. Even with the current limitations, I never had a problem taking a
              camera-bag in addition to the carry-on-luggage on-board (keeping fingers
              crossed)

              Unfortunately luggage theft is on the rise, I have heard many stories of
              stuff that went missing out of checked bags on flights from Africa, but
              nowadays, luggage is even stolen from your car on rest-stops on the main
              travel routes here throughout Europe. (I know of people that secure their
              luggage in their truck with a steel bicycle cable)

              Alex

              _____

[...]

              www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>
              -vr.com/>

              www.northernlight.net <http://www.northern <http://www.northernlight.net/>
              light.net/>

              On 7/3/2007 2:11 PM, Rick Drew rambled on about ...:
              > I have a 30 gig storage device. Never use it. CF cards are so affordable
              > now I never need it! I purchased three 4 gig cards last month for $55
              > each!
              > On RAW, it's over 800 images per card. I just completed a four hour photo
              > shoot - never changed cards - and had room to spare after 700+ images.
              > Storage devices are facing a huge problem. Memory is dirt cheap, HDD's are
              > not. If I calculate it out, the storage device is the same cost or a
              > little
              > more per MB.

              For the $210 you spent on 4 4GB cards I bought a Wolverine 60GB PSD for
              $80 and had $85 left over (to buy more CF cards or whatever). Yes you
              need several cards but the *real* advantage of a PSD is being able to
              take a really small lightweight device with you into the field and be
              able to backup your CF (or whatever) cards when you've over the hills
              and far away (from your notebook and electricity) and aren't coming back
              for days and days.

              > Rick Drew

              Pat Swovelin
              Cool Guy @ Large