Re: [PanoToolsNG] Convert cylinder to partial sphere

  • Yuval Levy
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2007
      Bruce Anderson wrote:
      > I need to convert partial cylinder panoramas to partial spheres (as a
      > cube), for display in the Flash Panorama Player
      > (It only supports spheres but if cylinders are converted to partial
      > spheres then the fov is limited they will show).
      >
      > I also need to be able to do this by command line, on windows. Would
      > anyone know of a utility that can do that?

      you will need to know where the horizon is in the cylinder. if you know
      where the horizon is, you can download hugin. use the gui to set up a
      project. then control the stitcher through the command line with that
      script.

      Yuv
    • Bruce Anderson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2007
        Yuv,

        Many thanks for the info.
        Say I know the horizon point though, will this work when dealing with
        partial cylinders of varying fov's?

        Bruce

        ------------
        you will need to know where the horizon is in the cylinder. if you know
        where the horizon is, you can download hugin. use the gui to set up a
        project. then control the stitcher through the command line with that
        script.
        ------------
      • John Houghton
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Anderson <bruce@...> wrote:
          > Say I know the horizon point though, will this work when dealing
          > with partial cylinders of varying fov's?

          The lens parameters in Hugin or PTGui should specified to set the type
          to "cylindrical" and hfov to match the actual angle of view of the
          panorama image. Assuming the horizon the your cylindrical panorama is
          flat and level, its position in the output area needs to be adjusted so
          that it coincides with the centre point, where yaw=pitch=0. This can be
          done in one of two ways: either adjust the value of the lens shift
          parameter "e", or use Photoshop to extend the canvas of the input image
          at the top or bottom to centralise the horizon. For stitching, set the
          output image projection to 360x180 equirectangular and uncheck the fast
          transform option.

          John
        • yuval_levy
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Anderson <bruce@...> wrote:

            > Yuv,
            >
            > Many thanks for the info.
            > Say I know the horizon point though, will this work when dealing
            with partial cylinders of varying fov's?

            you'd need to know the hfov too, and edit your script for it.
            Yuv