Convert cylinder to partial sphere

  • Bruce Anderson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2007
      I need to convert partial cylinder panoramas to partial spheres (as a
      cube), for display in the Flash Panorama Player
      (It only supports spheres but if cylinders are converted to partial
      spheres then the fov is limited they will show).

      I also need to be able to do this by command line, on windows. Would
      anyone know of a utility that can do that?

      many thanks
      Bruce Anderson
    • Yuval Levy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2007
        Bruce Anderson wrote:
        > I need to convert partial cylinder panoramas to partial spheres (as a
        > cube), for display in the Flash Panorama Player
        > (It only supports spheres but if cylinders are converted to partial
        > spheres then the fov is limited they will show).
        >
        > I also need to be able to do this by command line, on windows. Would
        > anyone know of a utility that can do that?

        you will need to know where the horizon is in the cylinder. if you know
        where the horizon is, you can download hugin. use the gui to set up a
        project. then control the stitcher through the command line with that
        script.

        Yuv
      • Bruce Anderson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2007
          Yuv,

          Many thanks for the info.
          Say I know the horizon point though, will this work when dealing with
          partial cylinders of varying fov's?

          Bruce

          ------------
          you will need to know where the horizon is in the cylinder. if you know
          where the horizon is, you can download hugin. use the gui to set up a
          project. then control the stitcher through the command line with that
          script.
          ------------
        • John Houghton
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Anderson <bruce@...> wrote:
            > Say I know the horizon point though, will this work when dealing
            > with partial cylinders of varying fov's?

            The lens parameters in Hugin or PTGui should specified to set the type
            to "cylindrical" and hfov to match the actual angle of view of the
            panorama image. Assuming the horizon the your cylindrical panorama is
            flat and level, its position in the output area needs to be adjusted so
            that it coincides with the centre point, where yaw=pitch=0. This can be
            done in one of two ways: either adjust the value of the lens shift
            parameter "e", or use Photoshop to extend the canvas of the input image
            at the top or bottom to centralise the horizon. For stitching, set the
            output image projection to 360x180 equirectangular and uncheck the fast
            transform option.

            John
          • yuval_levy
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Anderson <bruce@...> wrote:

              > Yuv,
              >
              > Many thanks for the info.
              > Say I know the horizon point though, will this work when dealing
              with partial cylinders of varying fov's?

              you'd need to know the hfov too, and edit your script for it.
              Yuv