Re: Rajasthan, India

  • Roger Berry
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2 3:37 PM
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "matt_nolan_uaf"
      <matt.nolan@...> wrote:

      > Roger,
      >
      > I was just curious as to whether you had any insights as to why
      some
      > panoramas are 'easy' to stitch and others much more troublesome,
      > specifically when using a 360 panoramic head, which presumably is
      > supposed to make all stitching easy. I read a few posts which
      > suggested that using batch modes or a lens calibration that
      > incorporated a bit of tilt in the calibration is one source of
      this.
      > Could that relate to your trouble with this image?

      I don't know why the stitching was so bad with this setup. The
      photos I have done with this 360P head setup have been outdoors so
      it was never a really problem. My 20D and 8mm lens is much better
      suited for close-up like this.
      And now I have the 5D and 10.5mm lens to make it even easier.

      > Sounds like for $50/day you can live quite well there as a
      > photographer/tourist. Is that about right?

      I usually get offers to stay at peoples homes for free, but I prefer
      staying at a hotel for 7 to 25 USD a night where I can put my lock
      on the door and charge my equipment while I'm out having fun.
      I will do thing like hop on an ox cart heading out of town and then
      catch a camel cart heading back. Give the person 1 or 2 dollars and
      they are very happy. The normal daily income for this type of
      person who works with animals is around 3 to 5 dollars a day, and
      they are some of the funniest and happiest.

      And where else can you have fun painting an elephant:
      http://camelphotos.com/india/face_pant2.jpg

      Or dancing with a camel:
      http://camelphotos.com/india/dance_camel.jpg
      http://camelphotos.com/india/dance_camel2.jpg
      http://camelphotos.com/india/dance_camel3.jpg

      But you know what, ridding these Marwari horses around Jaipur near
      the Amber Fort was truly a delight. I went for a couple of 5 and 6
      hour rides, probably averaging around 7 miles an hour.
      http://camelphotos.com/india/india_horses2.jpg

      How much did this cost, not a thing, same with riding the elephants
      around for about 10 hours. They were also buying lunch and giving me
      some very nice gifts. They never ask for money, but I was so happy I
      would give them 10 or 20 dollars at the end of the day.
    • - AYRTON - (avi)
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2 7:16 PM
        On 02/07/2007, at 19:37, Roger Berry wrote:

        Oh My GOD
        reading all this below and looking at the photos make me very SAD!
        Painting a elephant it is so ridiculous, and sad, and rally a BAD
        thing to do !!!
        I imagine how much pain this elephant had suffer.
        This is disgusting to promote.
        I'm sorry but I could not stand and stay quiet at this horror.

        AYRTON

        > I usually get offers to stay at peoples homes for free, but I prefer
        > staying at a hotel for 7 to 25 USD a night where I can put my lock
        > on the door and charge my equipment while I'm out having fun.
        > I will do thing like hop on an ox cart heading out of town and then
        > catch a camel cart heading back. Give the person 1 or 2 dollars and
        > they are very happy. The normal daily income for this type of
        > person who works with animals is around 3 to 5 dollars a day, and
        > they are some of the funniest and happiest.
        >
        > And where else can you have fun painting an elephant:
        > http://camelphotos.com/india/face_pant2.jpg
        >
        > Or dancing with a camel:
        > http://camelphotos.com/india/dance_camel.jpg
        > http://camelphotos.com/india/dance_camel2.jpg
        > http://camelphotos.com/india/dance_camel3.jpg
        >
        > But you know what, ridding these Marwari horses around Jaipur near
        > the Amber Fort was truly a delight. I went for a couple of 5 and 6
        > hour rides, probably averaging around 7 miles an hour.
        > http://camelphotos.com/india/india_horses2.jpg
        >
        > How much did this cost, not a thing, same with riding the elephants
        > around for about 10 hours. They were also buying lunch and giving me
        > some very nice gifts. They never ask for money, but I was so happy I
        > would give them 10 or 20 dollars at the end of the day.

      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2 7:34 PM
          Ayrton, aren't you confusing painting with tattooing?

          Anyone who has been around elephants for any length of
          time knows not to do things they don't like. They have
          VERY long memories, and can be quite clever about the
          way they pay their tormentors back. I would guess that
          the elephants rather enjoy the fuss being made of them.

          And they are quite intelligent enough to see other
          elephants and know that they are being given the same
          "look." The handlers would VERY SOON know if they
          didn't approve of what was being done to them!

          Roger (Williams)

          --
          Work: www.adex-japan.com
          Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2 8:54 PM
            This is water paint just like children use in school. You mix the
            colored powder with water and use a stick that have been crushed
            down on the end to make a brush. The elephants do enjoy the
            attention and this is good for them. If you think this is bad, well
            look at our society, we kill and eat cows!
            I try not to judged other people and their cultures so hard when
            ours my be so barbaric in their eyes.

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "- AYRTON - (avi)" <avi@...>

          • salino@canl.nc
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2 9:06 PM
              A a pacific islander, I paint myself for important moments and I'm very
              happy to be painted. When my loved wife goes to civilization, in towns
              or Europe, Australia , USA or Great Britain or other superb places in
              the world, she paints herself with "paints" made by Esthée Lauder,
              Dior... and I like her paintings

              Dominique Salino,
              New Caledonia, the closest island to paradise.