Re: Rajasthan, India

  • matt_nolan_uaf
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2 2:11 PM
      Roger,

      I was just curious as to whether you had any insights as to why some
      panoramas are 'easy' to stitch and others much more troublesome,
      specifically when using a 360 panoramic head, which presumably is
      supposed to make all stitching easy. I read a few posts which
      suggested that using batch modes or a lens calibration that
      incorporated a bit of tilt in the calibration is one source of this.
      Could that relate to your trouble with this image?

      Sounds like for $50/day you can live quite well there as a
      photographer/tourist. Is that about right?

      -Matt

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@...>
      wrote:

      > Here's one showing the best hotel room that I stayed in, it's in
      > Bikaner where they have more working camels than anywhere else in
      the
      > world. I had to pay a whopping 23.00 USD a night for this room. The
      > sodas and snacks were under a dollar each and the refrigerator was
      > fully stocked.
      > When I wanted to check out the town, the hotel called up a camel
      cart
      > for me and I was off on another photography adventure.
      > http://www.camelphotos.com/india2/sagar.html
      >
      > Canon 20D, Canon 10-22mm lens, 16 shots on a 360P head, Pano head
      > removed with CS3.
      > For some reason this one had a lot of stitching errors, took a few
      > hours in CS3 to fix.
      > I kept the quality low so it would load fast.
      >
      > Roger Berry
      > http://CamelPhotos.com

    • Roger Berry
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2 3:37 PM
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "matt_nolan_uaf"
        <matt.nolan@...> wrote:

        > Roger,
        >
        > I was just curious as to whether you had any insights as to why
        some
        > panoramas are 'easy' to stitch and others much more troublesome,
        > specifically when using a 360 panoramic head, which presumably is
        > supposed to make all stitching easy. I read a few posts which
        > suggested that using batch modes or a lens calibration that
        > incorporated a bit of tilt in the calibration is one source of
        this.
        > Could that relate to your trouble with this image?

        I don't know why the stitching was so bad with this setup. The
        photos I have done with this 360P head setup have been outdoors so
        it was never a really problem. My 20D and 8mm lens is much better
        suited for close-up like this.
        And now I have the 5D and 10.5mm lens to make it even easier.

        > Sounds like for $50/day you can live quite well there as a
        > photographer/tourist. Is that about right?

        I usually get offers to stay at peoples homes for free, but I prefer
        staying at a hotel for 7 to 25 USD a night where I can put my lock
        on the door and charge my equipment while I'm out having fun.
        I will do thing like hop on an ox cart heading out of town and then
        catch a camel cart heading back. Give the person 1 or 2 dollars and
        they are very happy. The normal daily income for this type of
        person who works with animals is around 3 to 5 dollars a day, and
        they are some of the funniest and happiest.

        And where else can you have fun painting an elephant:
        http://camelphotos.com/india/face_pant2.jpg

        Or dancing with a camel:
        http://camelphotos.com/india/dance_camel.jpg
        http://camelphotos.com/india/dance_camel2.jpg
        http://camelphotos.com/india/dance_camel3.jpg

        But you know what, ridding these Marwari horses around Jaipur near
        the Amber Fort was truly a delight. I went for a couple of 5 and 6
        hour rides, probably averaging around 7 miles an hour.
        http://camelphotos.com/india/india_horses2.jpg

        How much did this cost, not a thing, same with riding the elephants
        around for about 10 hours. They were also buying lunch and giving me
        some very nice gifts. They never ask for money, but I was so happy I
        would give them 10 or 20 dollars at the end of the day.
      • - AYRTON - (avi)
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2 7:16 PM
          On 02/07/2007, at 19:37, Roger Berry wrote:

          Oh My GOD
          reading all this below and looking at the photos make me very SAD!
          Painting a elephant it is so ridiculous, and sad, and rally a BAD
          thing to do !!!
          I imagine how much pain this elephant had suffer.
          This is disgusting to promote.
          I'm sorry but I could not stand and stay quiet at this horror.

          AYRTON

          > I usually get offers to stay at peoples homes for free, but I prefer
          > staying at a hotel for 7 to 25 USD a night where I can put my lock
          > on the door and charge my equipment while I'm out having fun.
          > I will do thing like hop on an ox cart heading out of town and then
          > catch a camel cart heading back. Give the person 1 or 2 dollars and
          > they are very happy. The normal daily income for this type of
          > person who works with animals is around 3 to 5 dollars a day, and
          > they are some of the funniest and happiest.
          >
          > And where else can you have fun painting an elephant:
          > http://camelphotos.com/india/face_pant2.jpg
          >
          > Or dancing with a camel:
          > http://camelphotos.com/india/dance_camel.jpg
          > http://camelphotos.com/india/dance_camel2.jpg
          > http://camelphotos.com/india/dance_camel3.jpg
          >
          > But you know what, ridding these Marwari horses around Jaipur near
          > the Amber Fort was truly a delight. I went for a couple of 5 and 6
          > hour rides, probably averaging around 7 miles an hour.
          > http://camelphotos.com/india/india_horses2.jpg
          >
          > How much did this cost, not a thing, same with riding the elephants
          > around for about 10 hours. They were also buying lunch and giving me
          > some very nice gifts. They never ask for money, but I was so happy I
          > would give them 10 or 20 dollars at the end of the day.

        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2 7:34 PM
            Ayrton, aren't you confusing painting with tattooing?

            Anyone who has been around elephants for any length of
            time knows not to do things they don't like. They have
            VERY long memories, and can be quite clever about the
            way they pay their tormentors back. I would guess that
            the elephants rather enjoy the fuss being made of them.

            And they are quite intelligent enough to see other
            elephants and know that they are being given the same
            "look." The handlers would VERY SOON know if they
            didn't approve of what was being done to them!

            Roger (Williams)

            --
            Work: www.adex-japan.com
            Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2 8:54 PM
              This is water paint just like children use in school. You mix the
              colored powder with water and use a stick that have been crushed
              down on the end to make a brush. The elephants do enjoy the
              attention and this is good for them. If you think this is bad, well
              look at our society, we kill and eat cows!
              I try not to judged other people and their cultures so hard when
              ours my be so barbaric in their eyes.

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "- AYRTON - (avi)" <avi@...>

            • salino@canl.nc
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2 9:06 PM
                A a pacific islander, I paint myself for important moments and I'm very
                happy to be painted. When my loved wife goes to civilization, in towns
                or Europe, Australia , USA or Great Britain or other superb places in
                the world, she paints herself with "paints" made by Esthée Lauder,
                Dior... and I like her paintings

                Dominique Salino,
                New Caledonia, the closest island to paradise.