Sinc interpolator.... to use or not? (was Re: [PanoToolsNG] Resizing Interpolators and which to use???)

  • Justin Imhoff
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2007
      The tests on this site http://www.all-in-one.ee/~dersch/interpolator/interpolator.html say that the sinc function is the best and provides the best results.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Fulvio Senore
      To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, July 02, 2007 4:24 PM
      Subject: Re: [PanoToolsNG] Resizing Interpolators and which to use???

      Justin Imhoff ha scritto:
      > A question to those of you who may know something about these filters.
      >
      > Which interpolator gives the best results in your experience? Up until now I've been using Sync256 (perhaps unnecessarily) in PTGUI and then appling a smart sharpen in Photoshop. What about the Lanczos filter? Does using this negate having to resharpen in photoshop after? Is this the best choice for Panos?

      For PTGui I always use "bicubic normal": it is the choice that yields
      the most neutral result. Lanczos creates a slightly sharpened result and
      I don't like it. I can alway sharpen later if I like. Don't use the sinc
      interpolators: very large windowed sinc interpolator can cause strange
      things to sharp edges.
      > Then also, when creating the Quicktime in Pano2QTVR, a filter must be chosen here aswell. Is it best to re-use the same filter as before?

      Since the qtvr will only be viewed on the screen I think that a lanczos
      interpolator might be a good option here.
      > There are too many options available and not enough documentation to make an informed decision here. Does it really matter all that much?

      A trained eye can see some difference. I doubt that casual observers
      would notice it.

      Fulvio Senore

    • Fulvio Senore
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2007
        I know that test: it might be interesting by a theoretical point of
        view, but it is very different from what you do when you stitch a pano.
        In a real usage I did not see any advantage in using sinc, and there are
        possible drawbacks.
        If you want to know what I mean just try reducing a screenshot (it is a
        good sample of image with sharp edges) and look at the result.

        Fulvio Senore