Re: Rajasthan, India

  • sarah_lvv
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2007
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

      > Here is a nighttime view from outside the hotel where I stayed in
      > Mandawa Rajasthan.
      > In this town they use donkeys a lot to pull carts around, although I
      > paid for the use of a camel cart and spent the day checking out the
      > countryside, this is when I took the photo of the water well.
      > http://zebratalk.com/hotel2.html

      Hi Roger,

      Thank you for sharing. The hotel panos look great! The murals of hotel
      inside give the impression of mystery.
    • Roger Berry
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2007
        Here's one showing the best hotel room that I stayed in, it's in
        Bikaner where they have more working camels than anywhere else in the
        world. I had to pay a whopping 23.00 USD a night for this room. The
        sodas and snacks were under a dollar each and the refrigerator was
        fully stocked.
        When I wanted to check out the town, the hotel called up a camel cart
        for me and I was off on another photography adventure.
        http://www.camelphotos.com/india2/sagar.html

        Canon 20D, Canon 10-22mm lens, 16 shots on a 360P head, Pano head
        removed with CS3.
        For some reason this one had a lot of stitching errors, took a few
        hours in CS3 to fix.
        I kept the quality low so it would load fast.

        Roger Berry
        http://CamelPhotos.com
      • matt_nolan_uaf
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2007
          Roger,

          I was just curious as to whether you had any insights as to why some
          panoramas are 'easy' to stitch and others much more troublesome,
          specifically when using a 360 panoramic head, which presumably is
          supposed to make all stitching easy. I read a few posts which
          suggested that using batch modes or a lens calibration that
          incorporated a bit of tilt in the calibration is one source of this.
          Could that relate to your trouble with this image?

          Sounds like for $50/day you can live quite well there as a
          photographer/tourist. Is that about right?

          -Matt

          wrote:

          > Here's one showing the best hotel room that I stayed in, it's in
          > Bikaner where they have more working camels than anywhere else in
          the
          > world. I had to pay a whopping 23.00 USD a night for this room. The
          > sodas and snacks were under a dollar each and the refrigerator was
          > fully stocked.
          > When I wanted to check out the town, the hotel called up a camel
          cart
          > for me and I was off on another photography adventure.
          > http://www.camelphotos.com/india2/sagar.html
          >
          > Canon 20D, Canon 10-22mm lens, 16 shots on a 360P head, Pano head
          > removed with CS3.
          > For some reason this one had a lot of stitching errors, took a few
          > hours in CS3 to fix.
          > I kept the quality low so it would load fast.
          >
          > Roger Berry
          > http://CamelPhotos.com

        • Roger Berry
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "matt_nolan_uaf"
            <matt.nolan@...> wrote:

            > Roger,
            >
            > I was just curious as to whether you had any insights as to why
            some
            > panoramas are 'easy' to stitch and others much more troublesome,
            > specifically when using a 360 panoramic head, which presumably is
            > supposed to make all stitching easy. I read a few posts which
            > suggested that using batch modes or a lens calibration that
            > incorporated a bit of tilt in the calibration is one source of
            this.
            > Could that relate to your trouble with this image?

            I don't know why the stitching was so bad with this setup. The
            photos I have done with this 360P head setup have been outdoors so
            it was never a really problem. My 20D and 8mm lens is much better
            suited for close-up like this.
            And now I have the 5D and 10.5mm lens to make it even easier.

            > Sounds like for $50/day you can live quite well there as a
            > photographer/tourist. Is that about right?

            I usually get offers to stay at peoples homes for free, but I prefer
            staying at a hotel for 7 to 25 USD a night where I can put my lock
            on the door and charge my equipment while I'm out having fun.
            I will do thing like hop on an ox cart heading out of town and then
            catch a camel cart heading back. Give the person 1 or 2 dollars and
            they are very happy. The normal daily income for this type of
            person who works with animals is around 3 to 5 dollars a day, and
            they are some of the funniest and happiest.

            And where else can you have fun painting an elephant:
            http://camelphotos.com/india/face_pant2.jpg

            Or dancing with a camel:
            http://camelphotos.com/india/dance_camel.jpg
            http://camelphotos.com/india/dance_camel2.jpg
            http://camelphotos.com/india/dance_camel3.jpg

            But you know what, ridding these Marwari horses around Jaipur near
            the Amber Fort was truly a delight. I went for a couple of 5 and 6
            hour rides, probably averaging around 7 miles an hour.
            http://camelphotos.com/india/india_horses2.jpg

            How much did this cost, not a thing, same with riding the elephants
            around for about 10 hours. They were also buying lunch and giving me
            some very nice gifts. They never ask for money, but I was so happy I
            would give them 10 or 20 dollars at the end of the day.
          • - AYRTON - (avi)
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2007
              On 02/07/2007, at 19:37, Roger Berry wrote:

              Oh My GOD
              reading all this below and looking at the photos make me very SAD!
              Painting a elephant it is so ridiculous, and sad, and rally a BAD
              thing to do !!!
              I imagine how much pain this elephant had suffer.
              This is disgusting to promote.
              I'm sorry but I could not stand and stay quiet at this horror.

              AYRTON

              > I usually get offers to stay at peoples homes for free, but I prefer
              > staying at a hotel for 7 to 25 USD a night where I can put my lock
              > on the door and charge my equipment while I'm out having fun.
              > I will do thing like hop on an ox cart heading out of town and then
              > catch a camel cart heading back. Give the person 1 or 2 dollars and
              > they are very happy. The normal daily income for this type of
              > person who works with animals is around 3 to 5 dollars a day, and
              > they are some of the funniest and happiest.
              >
              > And where else can you have fun painting an elephant:
              > http://camelphotos.com/india/face_pant2.jpg
              >
              > Or dancing with a camel:
              > http://camelphotos.com/india/dance_camel.jpg
              > http://camelphotos.com/india/dance_camel2.jpg
              > http://camelphotos.com/india/dance_camel3.jpg
              >
              > But you know what, ridding these Marwari horses around Jaipur near
              > the Amber Fort was truly a delight. I went for a couple of 5 and 6
              > hour rides, probably averaging around 7 miles an hour.
              > http://camelphotos.com/india/india_horses2.jpg
              >
              > How much did this cost, not a thing, same with riding the elephants
              > around for about 10 hours. They were also buying lunch and giving me
              > some very nice gifts. They never ask for money, but I was so happy I
              > would give them 10 or 20 dollars at the end of the day.

            • Roger D. Williams
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2, 2007
                Ayrton, aren't you confusing painting with tattooing?

                Anyone who has been around elephants for any length of
                time knows not to do things they don't like. They have
                VERY long memories, and can be quite clever about the
                way they pay their tormentors back. I would guess that
                the elephants rather enjoy the fuss being made of them.

                And they are quite intelligent enough to see other
                elephants and know that they are being given the same
                "look." The handlers would VERY SOON know if they
                didn't approve of what was being done to them!

                Roger (Williams)

                --
                Work: www.adex-japan.com
                Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 2, 2007
                  This is water paint just like children use in school. You mix the
                  colored powder with water and use a stick that have been crushed
                  down on the end to make a brush. The elephants do enjoy the
                  attention and this is good for them. If you think this is bad, well
                  look at our society, we kill and eat cows!
                  I try not to judged other people and their cultures so hard when
                  ours my be so barbaric in their eyes.

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "- AYRTON - (avi)" <avi@...>

                • salino@canl.nc
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2, 2007
                    A a pacific islander, I paint myself for important moments and I'm very
                    happy to be painted. When my loved wife goes to civilization, in towns
                    or Europe, Australia , USA or Great Britain or other superb places in
                    the world, she paints herself with "paints" made by Esthée Lauder,
                    Dior... and I like her paintings

                    Dominique Salino,
                    New Caledonia, the closest island to paradise.