Re: [PanoToolsNG] OT? Mircosoft Photosynth - 360 without stitching

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2006
      On 31 Jul 2006 at 17:29, Bert Vierstra wrote:

      > Ah, we are still at the beginning of true VR environments..... but one day...

      I don't know about that. Many years ago IMO we were at the begging of VR environments,
      with the VRML format and technology, but then unfortunately everything seems to have
      vaporized into lots of proprietary formats and technologies. Very sad IMHO.
      Many years ago we also had the Viewpoint technology (VET) which got MetaCreations so
      excited that they sold out all their good programs, including Painter and Canoma (which
      was bought by Adobe, and killed right away - which was very, very sad!) to focus solely
      on VET. Where is VET today?

      > Anyone already spotted a RealViz Google Earth Pano?

      What do you mean by that? A Realviz Stitcher pano viewable from inside GE?
      Or a VTour "pano" 3D model incorporated into GE?
      GE is indeed very exciting, but unfortunately quite buggy and fragile. I have been
      testing the new texturing capability in the new version (beta), but it seems to be very
      random if the texture is shown or not. I have made 3D models in GE with (external) links
      to panos, but am not aware of that it's possible to directly show a pano inside the GE
      main window. Of course you could also make a flipped sphere and apply a pano texture to
      it, and place the camera in the center. But it would lose its magic as soon as the user
      moves the camera. I haven't tested it though. Maybe I should? I don't even know if GE
      renders all polys as double-sided..
      --
      bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen http://bknilssen.no/
      Kristiansand, Norway
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31, 2006
        Simply what I'm trying to do since 3 years...
        :-(