Re: OT? Mircosoft Photosynth - 360 without stitching

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2006
      re neustep
      I think this is shot with a video camera array (or two opposed 180
      fisheye/digital slr) -- each pano is then calibrated so that the pano
      is level and parallel or smoothly changing yaw-wise from the
      preceding one
      ie. it is a stabilized sequence of panos
      ie. they are calibrated re r, y, p but not x, y, z
      -- so all that can be done user-wise is travel back an forward in the
      sequence
      -- it is identical to Smoothmove (Infinite Pictures) technology user-
      wise

      here is another (more general) article I wrote some time back (for an
      academic report) -- the section on panoramas as virtual sets (and
      links) has some more remarks on spatializing panoramas
      http://users.bigpond.net.au/virtual/reportxx.htm

      Peter
      http://www.mediavr.com/blog

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Andrei Zdetovetchi <zdeto@...>
      wrote:

      > Well, then how about this:
      > http://www.neustep.com/
      >

      > Regards,
      > Andrei Z.

    • Bjørn K Nilssen
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31, 2006
        On 31 Jul 2006 at 17:29, Bert Vierstra wrote:

        > Ah, we are still at the beginning of true VR environments..... but one day...

        I don't know about that. Many years ago IMO we were at the begging of VR environments,
        with the VRML format and technology, but then unfortunately everything seems to have
        vaporized into lots of proprietary formats and technologies. Very sad IMHO.
        Many years ago we also had the Viewpoint technology (VET) which got MetaCreations so
        excited that they sold out all their good programs, including Painter and Canoma (which
        was bought by Adobe, and killed right away - which was very, very sad!) to focus solely
        on VET. Where is VET today?

        > Anyone already spotted a RealViz Google Earth Pano?

        What do you mean by that? A Realviz Stitcher pano viewable from inside GE?
        Or a VTour "pano" 3D model incorporated into GE?
        GE is indeed very exciting, but unfortunately quite buggy and fragile. I have been
        testing the new texturing capability in the new version (beta), but it seems to be very
        random if the texture is shown or not. I have made 3D models in GE with (external) links
        to panos, but am not aware of that it's possible to directly show a pano inside the GE
        main window. Of course you could also make a flipped sphere and apply a pano texture to
        it, and place the camera in the center. But it would lose its magic as soon as the user
        moves the camera. I haven't tested it though. Maybe I should? I don't even know if GE
        renders all polys as double-sided..
        --
        bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen http://bknilssen.no/
        Kristiansand, Norway
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2006
          Simply what I'm trying to do since 3 years...
          :-(