Re: PTGui and HDR and uneven number of shots in 360...

  • Jakob Norstedt-Moberg
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2007
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Joost Nieuwenhuijse <imim@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi David,
      >
      > I wonder why you would want to do this instead of much easier
      > autobracketing?

      I would like to give my opinion here.

      The reason I don't always autobracket is that I get too many images
      and that slows the capturing process down too much and wastes
      storage.

      Autobracketing works fine with 360x180's captured with fisheye,
      where the total number of images is limited. Cylindricals with
      normal or telephoto lens is another thing. Around the horizon I can
      have 30 images without bracketing - that makes 90 with
      autobracketing and only a few in the direction towards the sun
      really needs bracketing.

      My Kodak SLR/n will maybe handle the first set of images, but trying
      to capture 90 rapidly will choke it completely. The memory buffer is
      too small and it will freeze for many minutes when halfway and when
      it gets back to life I will only be able to take one image every 20
      seconds or so. And 60 images is about one Gigabyte of memory. Hard
      disk is cheap but I have to take care of my disks, make backups etc,
      and I don't want to waste time on images I absolutely don't need.

      So I would very much like to be able to bracket only parts of the
      pano.

      Jakob
    • Michael Asgian
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 30, 2007
        I understand your reasoning. The problem is that you wont be able to stitch properly ldrs with hdrs without having a dramatic defference in image dynamic between the ldr and non ldr areas of the image.

        Just delete the originals after stitching and keep just the stitched pano... if space is concerning....

        > I wonder why you would want to do this instead of much easier
        > autobracketing?

        I would like to give my opinion here.

        The reason I don't always autobracket is that I get too many images
        and that slows the capturing process down too much and wastes
        storage.

        Autobracketing works fine with 360x180's captured with fisheye,
        where the total number of images is limited. Cylindricals with
        normal or telephoto lens is another thing. Around the horizon I can
        have 30 images without bracketing - that makes 90 with
        autobracketing and only a few in the direction towards the sun
        really needs bracketing.

        My Kodak SLR/n will maybe handle the first set of images, but trying
        to capture 90 rapidly will choke it completely. The memory buffer is
        too small and it will freeze for many minutes when halfway and when
        it gets back to life I will only be able to take one image every 20
        seconds or so. And 60 images is about one Gigabyte of memory. Hard
        disk is cheap but I have to take care of my disks, make backups etc,
        and I don't want to waste time on images I absolutely don't need.

        So I would very much like to be able to bracket only parts of the
        pano.

        Jakob

      • Eric O'Brien
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 30, 2007
          Even if you manually created the HDR files (from the 3 sets of 3 in
          your example), then tone mapped the result back down to 8- or 16-
          bits, I would think that the appearance of those images would differ
          so much from the remaining ones that getting it to blend nicely could
          be quite a task in post-production. Probably far more than you might
          "save" in your proposed method.

          It would be easy to do the experiment though.

          eo