Re: OT? Mircosoft Photosynth - 360 without stitching

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31 2:31 AM
      reminds me of an article/demo I made a few years back
      http://www.culture.com.au/virtual/vrml/vrmlpano.htm

      if one knows how a sequence of panoramas are positioned in space
      viewpoint-wise then an animated character apparently walking around
      in one panorama can walk into a second panorama -- and appear in the
      correct position in the second panorama etc etc

      so cinematic cross-cutting of action between panoramas is enabled ---
      so you could have a "movie" consisting of a series of panoramas
      photographed in the same general locale with the same character(s)
      walking in and between the panoramas -- with each panorama being
      navigable

      at the time I wrote this it wasnt so easy to calibrate each pano
      position but now it is simpler

      Peter
      http://www.mediavr.com/blog

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hansky <michael@...>
      wrote:

      > http://labs.live.com/photosynth/
      >

      > Interessting idea .... worth a discussion....
      >

      > http://phototour.cs.washington.edu/applet/index.html
      >

      > Michael Hansky
      > INXS Media

    • Andrei Zdetovetchi
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31 2:52 AM
        Well, then how about this:
        http://www.neustep.com/

        Regards,
        Andrei Z.

        wrote:

        > http://labs. live.com/ photosynth/
        >

        > Interessting idea .... worth a discussion.. ..
        >

        > http://phototour. cs.washington. edu/applet/ index.html
        >

        > Michael Hansky
        > INXS Media

      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31 3:14 AM
          re neustep
          I think this is shot with a video camera array (or two opposed 180
          fisheye/digital slr) -- each pano is then calibrated so that the pano
          is level and parallel or smoothly changing yaw-wise from the
          preceding one
          ie. it is a stabilized sequence of panos
          ie. they are calibrated re r, y, p but not x, y, z
          -- so all that can be done user-wise is travel back an forward in the
          sequence
          -- it is identical to Smoothmove (Infinite Pictures) technology user-
          wise

          here is another (more general) article I wrote some time back (for an
          academic report) -- the section on panoramas as virtual sets (and
          links) has some more remarks on spatializing panoramas
          http://users.bigpond.net.au/virtual/reportxx.htm

          Peter
          http://www.mediavr.com/blog

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Andrei Zdetovetchi <zdeto@...>
          wrote:

          > Well, then how about this:
          > http://www.neustep.com/
          >

          > Regards,
          > Andrei Z.

        • Bjørn K Nilssen
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31 4:13 AM
            On 31 Jul 2006 at 17:29, Bert Vierstra wrote:

            > Ah, we are still at the beginning of true VR environments..... but one day...

            I don't know about that. Many years ago IMO we were at the begging of VR environments,
            with the VRML format and technology, but then unfortunately everything seems to have
            vaporized into lots of proprietary formats and technologies. Very sad IMHO.
            Many years ago we also had the Viewpoint technology (VET) which got MetaCreations so
            excited that they sold out all their good programs, including Painter and Canoma (which
            was bought by Adobe, and killed right away - which was very, very sad!) to focus solely
            on VET. Where is VET today?

            > Anyone already spotted a RealViz Google Earth Pano?

            What do you mean by that? A Realviz Stitcher pano viewable from inside GE?
            Or a VTour "pano" 3D model incorporated into GE?
            GE is indeed very exciting, but unfortunately quite buggy and fragile. I have been
            testing the new texturing capability in the new version (beta), but it seems to be very
            random if the texture is shown or not. I have made 3D models in GE with (external) links
            to panos, but am not aware of that it's possible to directly show a pano inside the GE
            main window. Of course you could also make a flipped sphere and apply a pano texture to
            it, and place the camera in the center. But it would lose its magic as soon as the user
            moves the camera. I haven't tested it though. Maybe I should? I don't even know if GE
            renders all polys as double-sided..
            --
            bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen http://bknilssen.no/
            Kristiansand, Norway
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31 12:10 PM
              Simply what I'm trying to do since 3 years...
              :-(