Re: Pushkar Pano

  • matt_nolan_uaf
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
      I agree -- the smart sharpen path does a much better job. Just take a
      look at the two camels and bag of grain where the qtvr first shows up --
      you can see a big difference in the brown camel's fir and in the grain
      in the bag. Awesome.
      -Matt
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
        Yes,

        However, the main issue there was not sharpening per se but in how the
        sharpening shrugged off the jpg compression there.

        Otherwise, different jpg levels were used, but I still see the same level of
        artifacts so that's ruled out.

        4b is better by a lot. Almost better enough to say that it could be a
        different lens.

        Sacha Griffin
        www.southern-digital.com
        www.seeit360.net
        www.ezphotosafe.com
        404-551-4275
        404-731-7798

        _____

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
          As an alternative sharpening you might like to try this - make a
          layer and apply a High Pass filter, blend it with Hard Light and then
          adjust the layer opacity - somewhere between 65-80% depending on file
          size. I do this as the last stage before converting to cube faces
          and have found it give more flexibility than other methods.

          regards

          Bruce

          Bruce Hemming
          Bruce Hemming Photography
          Tel: +44 (0)1580 200277
          Mobile: +44 (0)7974 918414
          e-Mail: bruce@...

        • Chris Thomas
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
            Looks great on my calibrated screen Roger.

            Very realistic for this time of day.

            Chris Thomas

            Photographer

            cell... 403-615-1212

            In North America

            call... 1-800-870-5110

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
              I redid this pano of Pushkar from the beginning and also made it a
              little brighter. With this new monitor which is very bight it's hard
              to tell how things should be set for now. The color has also changed
              on this remake, less red and maybe more yellow.
              Anyway, here it is in a very large and fine detail at 6MB.
              http://www.zebratalk.com/pushkar_camels.html

              Roger
              Http://CamelPhotos.com
            • Sacha Griffin
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                It looks excellent. Just what a 360 fullscreen should be.. making you feel
                as if you were there.

                2 Suggestions.

                1. You're still clipping your shadows..The pure black camel should have some
                detail.

                Output less contrast with raw, use a little fill light, then use
                shadows/highlights.

                That should bring that back and you can up the contrast again.

                2. Get a minidisk recorder! They are dirt cheap compared to mp3 recorders.

                I bet it would be amazing to hear what's going on.

                For the Samsung, I found its best to go to custom color, and magic bright to
                custom.

                Sacha Griffin
                www.southern-digital.com
                www.seeit360.net
                www.ezphotosafe.com
                404-551-4275
                404-731-7798

                _____

                I redid this pano of Pushkar from the beginning and also made it a
                little brighter. With this new monitor which is very bight it's hard
                to tell how things should be set for now. The color has also changed
                on this remake, less red and maybe more yellow.
                Anyway, here it is in a very large and fine detail at 6MB.
                http://www.zebratal <http://www.zebratalk.com/pushkar_camels.html>
                k.com/pushkar_camels.html

                Roger
                Http://CamelPhotos. <Http://CamelPhotos.com> com

              • Roger Berry
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                  I shoot to, Raw / Fine on my 20D. I normally just use the Fine JPG
                  photos. On this one I did use the Raw ones and saved them, As Shot /
                  TIF using CS3. I then used PTgui to stitch them, output TIF 16 bit,
                  PackBit, No alpha channel.
                  Then I open it in CS3 and do my adjustments, usually a little
                  sharpening, brightness / contrast and a little color adjustment in
                  saturation or color balance if needed.

                  I will try going back to the raw photos and see what I can do, It's
                  just one of the many things that I have not taken the time to learn
                  well. I still need to learn how to use my video editing programs,
                  finish updating my website, along with about 1,000 other things.
                  But it sure would be nice to get these 360 photos looking even
                  better.

                  I do have sound for these that I got with my Sony PD170 video
                  camera, so the quality should be very good.
                  Just need to learn how to remove the audio from the video. I know,
                  it's easy, but it's still something I haven't done before.

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin"
                  <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                  > It looks excellent. Just what a 360 fullscreen should be.. making
                  you feel
                  > as if you were there.
                  >
                  > 2 Suggestions.
                  >

                  > 1. You're still clipping your shadows..The pure black camel should
                  have some
                  > detail.
                  >
                  > Output less contrast with raw, use a little fill light, then use
                  > shadows/highlights.
                  >
                  > That should bring that back and you can up the contrast again.
                  >
                  > 2. Get a minidisk recorder! They are dirt cheap compared to mp3
                  recorders.

                  > I bet it would be amazing to hear what's going on.
                  >

                  > For the Samsung, I found its best to go to custom color, and magic
                  bright to
                  > custom.
                  >
                  > Sacha Griffin
                  > www.southern-digital.com
                  > www.seeit360.net
                  > www.ezphotosafe.com
                  > 404-551-4275
                  > 404-731-7798

                • Roger Berry
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                    Ok, here's the new page with all of the people and camel sounds.
                    http://www.zebratalk.com/pushkar_camels2.html

                    Roger Berry
                  • Tom Lassiter
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 1, 2007
                      I've always enjoyed Roger's work, but with sound .... wow! Excellent!

                      --
                      Tom Lassiter

                      Westridge VR
                      http://www.lassiter.com/vr/exp7.html