Re: Pushkar Pano

  • Roger Berry
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
      I went back and tried sharpening the photo with CS3 Smart Sharpen
      and it looks much better now, it also worked fast. Of coarse with
      more detail the file size also goes up when using the same settings
      in Pano2QTVR.
      The file size went from 1.53MB to 1.86MB.
      Looking at the grass and the hillside temple I can really see the
      difference. Here's how it looks now:
      http://www.camelphotos.com/india2/pushkar4b.html

      And this is how it looked before:
      http://www.camelphotos.com/india2/pushkar4.html

      I still need to go back and remove some shadows on this new one.

      Thanks,
      Roger

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin"
      <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

      > I think cs3 smart sharpen should be a bit better than the lossy
      lab method.

      > However, as I recall 360 sphericals with the 10-22 took a LONG
      time to smart
      > sharpen.
      >

      > If you must use the lab method, I think the best way to do it.. is
      to use
      > that layer as a mask only on your sharpening layer.
      >
      > Then you won't need to use any of the converted-reconverted lab
      data for the
      > rest of the image.
      >

      > Sacha Griffin
      > www.southern-digital.com
      > www.seeit360.net
      > www.ezphotosafe.com
      > 404-551-4275
      > 404-731-7798
      >
      > _____
    • matt_nolan_uaf
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
        I agree -- the smart sharpen path does a much better job. Just take a
        look at the two camels and bag of grain where the qtvr first shows up --
        you can see a big difference in the brown camel's fir and in the grain
        in the bag. Awesome.
        -Matt
      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
          Yes,

          However, the main issue there was not sharpening per se but in how the
          sharpening shrugged off the jpg compression there.

          Otherwise, different jpg levels were used, but I still see the same level of
          artifacts so that's ruled out.

          4b is better by a lot. Almost better enough to say that it could be a
          different lens.

          Sacha Griffin
          www.southern-digital.com
          www.seeit360.net
          www.ezphotosafe.com
          404-551-4275
          404-731-7798

          _____

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
            As an alternative sharpening you might like to try this - make a
            layer and apply a High Pass filter, blend it with Hard Light and then
            adjust the layer opacity - somewhere between 65-80% depending on file
            size. I do this as the last stage before converting to cube faces
            and have found it give more flexibility than other methods.

            regards

            Bruce

            Bruce Hemming
            Bruce Hemming Photography
            Tel: +44 (0)1580 200277
            Mobile: +44 (0)7974 918414
            e-Mail: bruce@...

          • Chris Thomas
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
              Looks great on my calibrated screen Roger.

              Very realistic for this time of day.

              Chris Thomas

              Photographer

              cell... 403-615-1212

              In North America

              call... 1-800-870-5110

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                I redid this pano of Pushkar from the beginning and also made it a
                little brighter. With this new monitor which is very bight it's hard
                to tell how things should be set for now. The color has also changed
                on this remake, less red and maybe more yellow.
                Anyway, here it is in a very large and fine detail at 6MB.
                http://www.zebratalk.com/pushkar_camels.html

                Roger
                Http://CamelPhotos.com
              • Sacha Griffin
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                  It looks excellent. Just what a 360 fullscreen should be.. making you feel
                  as if you were there.

                  2 Suggestions.

                  1. You're still clipping your shadows..The pure black camel should have some
                  detail.

                  Output less contrast with raw, use a little fill light, then use
                  shadows/highlights.

                  That should bring that back and you can up the contrast again.

                  2. Get a minidisk recorder! They are dirt cheap compared to mp3 recorders.

                  I bet it would be amazing to hear what's going on.

                  For the Samsung, I found its best to go to custom color, and magic bright to
                  custom.

                  Sacha Griffin
                  www.southern-digital.com
                  www.seeit360.net
                  www.ezphotosafe.com
                  404-551-4275
                  404-731-7798

                  _____

                  I redid this pano of Pushkar from the beginning and also made it a
                  little brighter. With this new monitor which is very bight it's hard
                  to tell how things should be set for now. The color has also changed
                  on this remake, less red and maybe more yellow.
                  Anyway, here it is in a very large and fine detail at 6MB.
                  http://www.zebratal <http://www.zebratalk.com/pushkar_camels.html>
                  k.com/pushkar_camels.html

                  Roger
                  Http://CamelPhotos. <Http://CamelPhotos.com> com

                • Roger Berry
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                    I shoot to, Raw / Fine on my 20D. I normally just use the Fine JPG
                    photos. On this one I did use the Raw ones and saved them, As Shot /
                    TIF using CS3. I then used PTgui to stitch them, output TIF 16 bit,
                    PackBit, No alpha channel.
                    Then I open it in CS3 and do my adjustments, usually a little
                    sharpening, brightness / contrast and a little color adjustment in
                    saturation or color balance if needed.

                    I will try going back to the raw photos and see what I can do, It's
                    just one of the many things that I have not taken the time to learn
                    well. I still need to learn how to use my video editing programs,
                    finish updating my website, along with about 1,000 other things.
                    But it sure would be nice to get these 360 photos looking even
                    better.

                    I do have sound for these that I got with my Sony PD170 video
                    camera, so the quality should be very good.
                    Just need to learn how to remove the audio from the video. I know,
                    it's easy, but it's still something I haven't done before.

                    <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                    > It looks excellent. Just what a 360 fullscreen should be.. making
                    you feel
                    > as if you were there.
                    >
                    > 2 Suggestions.
                    >

                    > 1. You're still clipping your shadows..The pure black camel should
                    have some
                    > detail.
                    >
                    > Output less contrast with raw, use a little fill light, then use
                    > shadows/highlights.
                    >
                    > That should bring that back and you can up the contrast again.
                    >
                    > 2. Get a minidisk recorder! They are dirt cheap compared to mp3
                    recorders.

                    > I bet it would be amazing to hear what's going on.
                    >

                    > For the Samsung, I found its best to go to custom color, and magic
                    bright to
                    > custom.
                    >
                    > Sacha Griffin
                    > www.southern-digital.com
                    > www.seeit360.net
                    > www.ezphotosafe.com
                    > 404-551-4275
                    > 404-731-7798

                  • Roger Berry
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                      Ok, here's the new page with all of the people and camel sounds.
                      http://www.zebratalk.com/pushkar_camels2.html

                      Roger Berry
                    • Tom Lassiter
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 1, 2007
                        I've always enjoyed Roger's work, but with sound .... wow! Excellent!

                        --
                        Tom Lassiter

                        Westridge VR
                        http://www.lassiter.com/vr/exp7.html