RE: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Pushkar Pano

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
      I think cs3 smart sharpen should be a bit better than the lossy lab method.

      However, as I recall 360 sphericals with the 10-22 took a LONG time to smart
      sharpen.

      If you must use the lab method, I think the best way to do it.. is to use
      that layer as a mask only on your sharpening layer.

      Then you won't need to use any of the converted-reconverted lab data for the
      rest of the image.

      Sacha Griffin
      www.southern-digital.com
      www.seeit360.net
      www.ezphotosafe.com
      404-551-4275
      404-731-7798

      _____

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
        I went back and tried sharpening the photo with CS3 Smart Sharpen
        and it looks much better now, it also worked fast. Of coarse with
        more detail the file size also goes up when using the same settings
        in Pano2QTVR.
        The file size went from 1.53MB to 1.86MB.
        Looking at the grass and the hillside temple I can really see the
        difference. Here's how it looks now:
        http://www.camelphotos.com/india2/pushkar4b.html

        And this is how it looked before:
        http://www.camelphotos.com/india2/pushkar4.html

        I still need to go back and remove some shadows on this new one.

        Thanks,
        Roger

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin"
        <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

        > I think cs3 smart sharpen should be a bit better than the lossy
        lab method.

        > However, as I recall 360 sphericals with the 10-22 took a LONG
        time to smart
        > sharpen.
        >

        > If you must use the lab method, I think the best way to do it.. is
        to use
        > that layer as a mask only on your sharpening layer.
        >
        > Then you won't need to use any of the converted-reconverted lab
        data for the
        > rest of the image.
        >

        > Sacha Griffin
        > www.southern-digital.com
        > www.seeit360.net
        > www.ezphotosafe.com
        > 404-551-4275
        > 404-731-7798
        >
        > _____
      • matt_nolan_uaf
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
          I agree -- the smart sharpen path does a much better job. Just take a
          look at the two camels and bag of grain where the qtvr first shows up --
          you can see a big difference in the brown camel's fir and in the grain
          in the bag. Awesome.
          -Matt
        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
            Yes,

            However, the main issue there was not sharpening per se but in how the
            sharpening shrugged off the jpg compression there.

            Otherwise, different jpg levels were used, but I still see the same level of
            artifacts so that's ruled out.

            4b is better by a lot. Almost better enough to say that it could be a
            different lens.

            Sacha Griffin
            www.southern-digital.com
            www.seeit360.net
            www.ezphotosafe.com
            404-551-4275
            404-731-7798

            _____

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
              As an alternative sharpening you might like to try this - make a
              layer and apply a High Pass filter, blend it with Hard Light and then
              adjust the layer opacity - somewhere between 65-80% depending on file
              size. I do this as the last stage before converting to cube faces
              and have found it give more flexibility than other methods.

              regards

              Bruce

              Bruce Hemming
              Bruce Hemming Photography
              Tel: +44 (0)1580 200277
              Mobile: +44 (0)7974 918414
              e-Mail: bruce@...

            • Chris Thomas
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                Looks great on my calibrated screen Roger.

                Very realistic for this time of day.

                Chris Thomas

                Photographer

                cell... 403-615-1212

                In North America

                call... 1-800-870-5110

                For this one I ran it through Neat Image (their free version) in
                auto to let it remove some of the grain before I sharpen it.

                In CS3 I go to Lab Color, Channels, Lightness, and Unsharp Mask
                45%, Radius 2.0 pixels, Threshold 2 levels. Then back to RGB color,
                up the Contrast a little and maybe adjust the Brightness some too.

                Then I may adjust the Saturation and Colors a little, but I skipped
                this last part because I can't tell with this new monitor.

                I used a Canon 20D, Canon 10-22mm lens and a 360P head shooting 16
                shots for this one, I removed the tripod and my shadow using
                CS3.

                snip

                .

                d=10631/stime=1183151820/nc1=4699084/nc2=4025338/nc3=3848640>

              • Roger Berry
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                  I redid this pano of Pushkar from the beginning and also made it a
                  little brighter. With this new monitor which is very bight it's hard
                  to tell how things should be set for now. The color has also changed
                  on this remake, less red and maybe more yellow.
                  Anyway, here it is in a very large and fine detail at 6MB.
                  http://www.zebratalk.com/pushkar_camels.html

                  Roger
                  Http://CamelPhotos.com
                • Sacha Griffin
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                    It looks excellent. Just what a 360 fullscreen should be.. making you feel
                    as if you were there.

                    2 Suggestions.

                    1. You're still clipping your shadows..The pure black camel should have some
                    detail.

                    Output less contrast with raw, use a little fill light, then use
                    shadows/highlights.

                    That should bring that back and you can up the contrast again.

                    2. Get a minidisk recorder! They are dirt cheap compared to mp3 recorders.

                    I bet it would be amazing to hear what's going on.

                    For the Samsung, I found its best to go to custom color, and magic bright to
                    custom.

                    Sacha Griffin
                    www.southern-digital.com
                    www.seeit360.net
                    www.ezphotosafe.com
                    404-551-4275
                    404-731-7798

                    _____

                    I redid this pano of Pushkar from the beginning and also made it a
                    little brighter. With this new monitor which is very bight it's hard
                    to tell how things should be set for now. The color has also changed
                    on this remake, less red and maybe more yellow.
                    Anyway, here it is in a very large and fine detail at 6MB.
                    http://www.zebratal <http://www.zebratalk.com/pushkar_camels.html>
                    k.com/pushkar_camels.html

                    Roger
                    Http://CamelPhotos. <Http://CamelPhotos.com> com

                  • Roger Berry
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                      I shoot to, Raw / Fine on my 20D. I normally just use the Fine JPG
                      photos. On this one I did use the Raw ones and saved them, As Shot /
                      TIF using CS3. I then used PTgui to stitch them, output TIF 16 bit,
                      PackBit, No alpha channel.
                      Then I open it in CS3 and do my adjustments, usually a little
                      sharpening, brightness / contrast and a little color adjustment in
                      saturation or color balance if needed.

                      I will try going back to the raw photos and see what I can do, It's
                      just one of the many things that I have not taken the time to learn
                      well. I still need to learn how to use my video editing programs,
                      finish updating my website, along with about 1,000 other things.
                      But it sure would be nice to get these 360 photos looking even
                      better.

                      I do have sound for these that I got with my Sony PD170 video
                      camera, so the quality should be very good.
                      Just need to learn how to remove the audio from the video. I know,
                      it's easy, but it's still something I haven't done before.

                      <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                      > It looks excellent. Just what a 360 fullscreen should be.. making
                      you feel
                      > as if you were there.
                      >
                      > 2 Suggestions.
                      >

                      > 1. You're still clipping your shadows..The pure black camel should
                      have some
                      > detail.
                      >
                      > Output less contrast with raw, use a little fill light, then use
                      > shadows/highlights.
                      >
                      > That should bring that back and you can up the contrast again.
                      >
                      > 2. Get a minidisk recorder! They are dirt cheap compared to mp3
                      recorders.

                      > I bet it would be amazing to hear what's going on.
                      >

                      > For the Samsung, I found its best to go to custom color, and magic
                      bright to
                      > custom.
                      >
                      > Sacha Griffin
                      > www.southern-digital.com
                      > www.seeit360.net
                      > www.ezphotosafe.com
                      > 404-551-4275
                      > 404-731-7798

                    • Roger Berry
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                        Ok, here's the new page with all of the people and camel sounds.
                        http://www.zebratalk.com/pushkar_camels2.html

                        Roger Berry
                      • Tom Lassiter
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 1, 2007
                          I've always enjoyed Roger's work, but with sound .... wow! Excellent!

                          --
                          Tom Lassiter

                          Westridge VR
                          http://www.lassiter.com/vr/exp7.html