Re: [PanoToolsNG] OT? Mircosoft Photosynth - 360 without stitching

  • Bert Vierstra
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2006
      On 7/31/06, Michael Hansky <michael@...> wrote:
      > http://labs.live.com/photosynth/

      > http://phototour.cs.washington.edu/applet/index.html

      Very interesting stuff.

      I also said some time earlier that is without stitching, but its not.
      There is some form of "stitching" , the images are aligned with
      control points actually.

      The stitching will be online however, as far as I know.

      The concept is great, integrating it with flickr (and Live Local) will
      no doubt make it a success...

      The user interface will need to grow, and a bit more easy..... Speed
      is ok, here behind my 512kb sat connection.... and 3.6 ghz 2MB
      machine... Sun Java VM...

      With the data they have, it should be possible to stitch a real pano.....

      Next step will be shooting pano's , let say at 100m intervals, and
      "stitch" those into a pano where you can move through....

      Ah, we are still at the beginning of true VR environments..... but one day...

      Anyone already spotted a RealViz Google Earth Pano?

      --
      best regards,

      Bert Vierstra

      http://www.360rage.com/
      http://www.bali3d.com/
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31, 2006
        reminds me of an article/demo I made a few years back
        http://www.culture.com.au/virtual/vrml/vrmlpano.htm

        if one knows how a sequence of panoramas are positioned in space
        viewpoint-wise then an animated character apparently walking around
        in one panorama can walk into a second panorama -- and appear in the
        correct position in the second panorama etc etc

        so cinematic cross-cutting of action between panoramas is enabled ---
        so you could have a "movie" consisting of a series of panoramas
        photographed in the same general locale with the same character(s)
        walking in and between the panoramas -- with each panorama being
        navigable

        at the time I wrote this it wasnt so easy to calibrate each pano
        position but now it is simpler

        Peter
        http://www.mediavr.com/blog

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hansky <michael@...>
        wrote:

        > http://labs.live.com/photosynth/
        >

        > Interessting idea .... worth a discussion....
        >

        > http://phototour.cs.washington.edu/applet/index.html
        >

        > Michael Hansky
        > INXS Media

      • Andrei Zdetovetchi
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2006
          Well, then how about this:
          http://www.neustep.com/

          Regards,
          Andrei Z.

          wrote:

          > http://labs. live.com/ photosynth/
          >

          > Interessting idea .... worth a discussion.. ..
          >

          > http://phototour. cs.washington. edu/applet/ index.html
          >

          > Michael Hansky
          > INXS Media

        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31, 2006
            re neustep
            I think this is shot with a video camera array (or two opposed 180
            fisheye/digital slr) -- each pano is then calibrated so that the pano
            is level and parallel or smoothly changing yaw-wise from the
            preceding one
            ie. it is a stabilized sequence of panos
            ie. they are calibrated re r, y, p but not x, y, z
            -- so all that can be done user-wise is travel back an forward in the
            sequence
            -- it is identical to Smoothmove (Infinite Pictures) technology user-
            wise

            here is another (more general) article I wrote some time back (for an
            academic report) -- the section on panoramas as virtual sets (and
            links) has some more remarks on spatializing panoramas
            http://users.bigpond.net.au/virtual/reportxx.htm

            Peter
            http://www.mediavr.com/blog

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Andrei Zdetovetchi <zdeto@...>
            wrote:

            > Well, then how about this:
            > http://www.neustep.com/
            >

            > Regards,
            > Andrei Z.

          • Bjørn K Nilssen
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31, 2006
              On 31 Jul 2006 at 17:29, Bert Vierstra wrote:

              > Ah, we are still at the beginning of true VR environments..... but one day...

              I don't know about that. Many years ago IMO we were at the begging of VR environments,
              with the VRML format and technology, but then unfortunately everything seems to have
              vaporized into lots of proprietary formats and technologies. Very sad IMHO.
              Many years ago we also had the Viewpoint technology (VET) which got MetaCreations so
              excited that they sold out all their good programs, including Painter and Canoma (which
              was bought by Adobe, and killed right away - which was very, very sad!) to focus solely
              on VET. Where is VET today?

              > Anyone already spotted a RealViz Google Earth Pano?

              What do you mean by that? A Realviz Stitcher pano viewable from inside GE?
              Or a VTour "pano" 3D model incorporated into GE?
              GE is indeed very exciting, but unfortunately quite buggy and fragile. I have been
              testing the new texturing capability in the new version (beta), but it seems to be very
              random if the texture is shown or not. I have made 3D models in GE with (external) links
              to panos, but am not aware of that it's possible to directly show a pano inside the GE
              main window. Of course you could also make a flipped sphere and apply a pano texture to
              it, and place the camera in the center. But it would lose its magic as soon as the user
              moves the camera. I haven't tested it though. Maybe I should? I don't even know if GE
              renders all polys as double-sided..
              --
              bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen http://bknilssen.no/
              Kristiansand, Norway
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 31, 2006
                Simply what I'm trying to do since 3 years...
                :-(