RE: [PanoToolsNG] Pushkar Pano

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
      Looks ok.

      You may want to use some shadow recovery.. or some fill light in the raw
      stage.

      For a quick fix, you should heal up your cs3 autoblend seam. You may not be
      able to see it if you've brightened your Samsung.

      I can't look at mine when its bright, it burns my retinas.

      Sacha Griffin
      www.southern-digital.com
      www.seeit360.net
      www.ezphotosafe.com
      404-551-4275
      404-731-7798

      _____

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
        For me the colours are perfect warm and sandy...

        Willy

        On Jun 29, 2007, at 20:57, Roger Berry wrote:

        > Here's a new 360VR panoramic photo that I just put together showing
        > the Pushkar Camel Fair near sunset. I really like the way this one
        > turned out but I`m not sure about the colors because I just got a new
        > 24" Samsung monitor and things don`t look the same.
        >
        > Canon 20D 10-22mm lens and 16 shots.
        > QuickTime is needed to view it.
        > http://www.camelphotos.com/india2/pushkar4.html

      • Roger Berry
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
          For this one I ran it through Neat Image (their free version) in
          auto to let it remove some of the grain before I sharpen it.

          In CS3 I go to Lab Color, Channels, Lightness, and Unsharp Mask
          45%, Radius 2.0 pixels, Threshold 2 levels. Then back to RGB color,
          up the Contrast a little and maybe adjust the Brightness some too.

          Then I may adjust the Saturation and Colors a little, but I skipped
          this last part because I can't tell with this new monitor.

          I used a Canon 20D, Canon 10-22mm lens and a 360P head shooting 16
          shots for this one, I removed the tripod and my shadow using
          CS3.

          > I really like that one, even better than the under-camel shot
          which I
          > liked a lot too. I dont know what the original colors were, but
          these
          > certainly look pleasing enough. What I liked most was the
          crispness of
          > focus, especially in the foreground. I've read some of your older
          > posts but have forgotten -- what lens did you use for this?
          >
          > -Matt

        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
            I think cs3 smart sharpen should be a bit better than the lossy lab method.

            However, as I recall 360 sphericals with the 10-22 took a LONG time to smart
            sharpen.

            If you must use the lab method, I think the best way to do it.. is to use
            that layer as a mask only on your sharpening layer.

            Then you won't need to use any of the converted-reconverted lab data for the
            rest of the image.

            Sacha Griffin
            www.southern-digital.com
            www.seeit360.net
            www.ezphotosafe.com
            404-551-4275
            404-731-7798

            _____

            For this one I ran it through Neat Image (their free version) in
            auto to let it remove some of the grain before I sharpen it.

            In CS3 I go to Lab Color, Channels, Lightness, and Unsharp Mask
            45%, Radius 2.0 pixels, Threshold 2 levels. Then back to RGB color,
            up the Contrast a little and maybe adjust the Brightness some too.

            Then I may adjust the Saturation and Colors a little, but I skipped
            this last part because I can't tell with this new monitor.

            I used a Canon 20D, Canon 10-22mm lens and a 360P head shooting 16
            shots for this one, I removed the tripod and my shadow using
            CS3.

            > I really like that one, even better than the under-camel shot
            which I
            > liked a lot too. I dont know what the original colors were, but
            these
            > certainly look pleasing enough. What I liked most was the
            crispness of
            > focus, especially in the foreground. I've read some of your older
            > posts but have forgotten -- what lens did you use for this?
            >
            > -Matt

          • Roger Berry
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
              I went back and tried sharpening the photo with CS3 Smart Sharpen
              and it looks much better now, it also worked fast. Of coarse with
              more detail the file size also goes up when using the same settings
              in Pano2QTVR.
              The file size went from 1.53MB to 1.86MB.
              Looking at the grass and the hillside temple I can really see the
              difference. Here's how it looks now:
              http://www.camelphotos.com/india2/pushkar4b.html

              And this is how it looked before:
              http://www.camelphotos.com/india2/pushkar4.html

              I still need to go back and remove some shadows on this new one.

              Thanks,
              Roger

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin"
              <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

              > I think cs3 smart sharpen should be a bit better than the lossy
              lab method.

              > However, as I recall 360 sphericals with the 10-22 took a LONG
              time to smart
              > sharpen.
              >

              > If you must use the lab method, I think the best way to do it.. is
              to use
              > that layer as a mask only on your sharpening layer.
              >
              > Then you won't need to use any of the converted-reconverted lab
              data for the
              > rest of the image.
              >

              > Sacha Griffin
              > www.southern-digital.com
              > www.seeit360.net
              > www.ezphotosafe.com
              > 404-551-4275
              > 404-731-7798
              >
              > _____
            • matt_nolan_uaf
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
                I agree -- the smart sharpen path does a much better job. Just take a
                look at the two camels and bag of grain where the qtvr first shows up --
                you can see a big difference in the brown camel's fir and in the grain
                in the bag. Awesome.
                -Matt
              • Sacha Griffin
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
                  Yes,

                  However, the main issue there was not sharpening per se but in how the
                  sharpening shrugged off the jpg compression there.

                  Otherwise, different jpg levels were used, but I still see the same level of
                  artifacts so that's ruled out.

                  4b is better by a lot. Almost better enough to say that it could be a
                  different lens.

                  Sacha Griffin
                  www.southern-digital.com
                  www.seeit360.net
                  www.ezphotosafe.com
                  404-551-4275
                  404-731-7798

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                    As an alternative sharpening you might like to try this - make a
                    layer and apply a High Pass filter, blend it with Hard Light and then
                    adjust the layer opacity - somewhere between 65-80% depending on file
                    size. I do this as the last stage before converting to cube faces
                    and have found it give more flexibility than other methods.

                    regards

                    Bruce

                    Bruce Hemming
                    Bruce Hemming Photography
                    Tel: +44 (0)1580 200277
                    Mobile: +44 (0)7974 918414
                    e-Mail: bruce@...

                  • Chris Thomas
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                      Looks great on my calibrated screen Roger.

                      Very realistic for this time of day.

                      Chris Thomas

                      Photographer

                      cell... 403-615-1212

                      In North America

                      call... 1-800-870-5110

                      For this one I ran it through Neat Image (their free version) in
                      auto to let it remove some of the grain before I sharpen it.

                      In CS3 I go to Lab Color, Channels, Lightness, and Unsharp Mask
                      45%, Radius 2.0 pixels, Threshold 2 levels. Then back to RGB color,
                      up the Contrast a little and maybe adjust the Brightness some too.

                      Then I may adjust the Saturation and Colors a little, but I skipped
                      this last part because I can't tell with this new monitor.

                      I used a Canon 20D, Canon 10-22mm lens and a 360P head shooting 16
                      shots for this one, I removed the tripod and my shadow using
                      CS3.

                      snip

                      .

                      d=10631/stime=1183151820/nc1=4699084/nc2=4025338/nc3=3848640>

                    • Roger Berry
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                        I redid this pano of Pushkar from the beginning and also made it a
                        little brighter. With this new monitor which is very bight it's hard
                        to tell how things should be set for now. The color has also changed
                        on this remake, less red and maybe more yellow.
                        Anyway, here it is in a very large and fine detail at 6MB.
                        http://www.zebratalk.com/pushkar_camels.html

                        Roger
                        Http://CamelPhotos.com
                      • Sacha Griffin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                          It looks excellent. Just what a 360 fullscreen should be.. making you feel
                          as if you were there.

                          2 Suggestions.

                          1. You're still clipping your shadows..The pure black camel should have some
                          detail.

                          Output less contrast with raw, use a little fill light, then use
                          shadows/highlights.

                          That should bring that back and you can up the contrast again.

                          2. Get a minidisk recorder! They are dirt cheap compared to mp3 recorders.

                          I bet it would be amazing to hear what's going on.

                          For the Samsung, I found its best to go to custom color, and magic bright to
                          custom.

                          Sacha Griffin
                          www.southern-digital.com
                          www.seeit360.net
                          www.ezphotosafe.com
                          404-551-4275
                          404-731-7798

                          _____

                          I redid this pano of Pushkar from the beginning and also made it a
                          little brighter. With this new monitor which is very bight it's hard
                          to tell how things should be set for now. The color has also changed
                          on this remake, less red and maybe more yellow.
                          Anyway, here it is in a very large and fine detail at 6MB.
                          http://www.zebratal <http://www.zebratalk.com/pushkar_camels.html>
                          k.com/pushkar_camels.html

                          Roger
                          Http://CamelPhotos. <Http://CamelPhotos.com> com

                        • Roger Berry
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                            I shoot to, Raw / Fine on my 20D. I normally just use the Fine JPG
                            photos. On this one I did use the Raw ones and saved them, As Shot /
                            TIF using CS3. I then used PTgui to stitch them, output TIF 16 bit,
                            PackBit, No alpha channel.
                            Then I open it in CS3 and do my adjustments, usually a little
                            sharpening, brightness / contrast and a little color adjustment in
                            saturation or color balance if needed.

                            I will try going back to the raw photos and see what I can do, It's
                            just one of the many things that I have not taken the time to learn
                            well. I still need to learn how to use my video editing programs,
                            finish updating my website, along with about 1,000 other things.
                            But it sure would be nice to get these 360 photos looking even
                            better.

                            I do have sound for these that I got with my Sony PD170 video
                            camera, so the quality should be very good.
                            Just need to learn how to remove the audio from the video. I know,
                            it's easy, but it's still something I haven't done before.

                            <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                            > It looks excellent. Just what a 360 fullscreen should be.. making
                            you feel
                            > as if you were there.
                            >
                            > 2 Suggestions.
                            >

                            > 1. You're still clipping your shadows..The pure black camel should
                            have some
                            > detail.
                            >
                            > Output less contrast with raw, use a little fill light, then use
                            > shadows/highlights.
                            >
                            > That should bring that back and you can up the contrast again.
                            >
                            > 2. Get a minidisk recorder! They are dirt cheap compared to mp3
                            recorders.

                            > I bet it would be amazing to hear what's going on.
                            >

                            > For the Samsung, I found its best to go to custom color, and magic
                            bright to
                            > custom.
                            >
                            > Sacha Griffin
                            > www.southern-digital.com
                            > www.seeit360.net
                            > www.ezphotosafe.com
                            > 404-551-4275
                            > 404-731-7798

                          • Roger Berry
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                              Ok, here's the new page with all of the people and camel sounds.
                              http://www.zebratalk.com/pushkar_camels2.html

                              Roger Berry
                            • Tom Lassiter
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 1, 2007
                                I've always enjoyed Roger's work, but with sound .... wow! Excellent!

                                --
                                Tom Lassiter

                                Westridge VR
                                http://www.lassiter.com/vr/exp7.html