Pushkar Pano

  • Roger Berry
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
      Here's a new 360VR panoramic photo that I just put together showing
      the Pushkar Camel Fair near sunset. I really like the way this one
      turned out but I`m not sure about the colors because I just got a new
      24" Samsung monitor and things don`t look the same.

      Canon 20D 10-22mm lens and 16 shots.
      QuickTime is needed to view it.
      http://www.camelphotos.com/india2/pushkar4.html
    • matt_nolan_uaf
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
        Roger,

        I really like that one, even better than the under-camel shot which I
        liked a lot too. I dont know what the original colors were, but these
        certainly look pleasing enough. What I liked most was the crispness of
        focus, especially in the foreground. I've read some of your older
        posts but have forgotten -- what lens did you use for this?

        -Matt
      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
          Looks ok.

          You may want to use some shadow recovery.. or some fill light in the raw
          stage.

          For a quick fix, you should heal up your cs3 autoblend seam. You may not be
          able to see it if you've brightened your Samsung.

          I can't look at mine when its bright, it burns my retinas.

          Sacha Griffin
          www.southern-digital.com
          www.seeit360.net
          www.ezphotosafe.com
          404-551-4275
          404-731-7798

          _____

          Here's a new 360VR panoramic photo that I just put together showing
          the Pushkar Camel Fair near sunset. I really like the way this one
          turned out but I`m not sure about the colors because I just got a new
          24" Samsung monitor and things don`t look the same.

          Canon 20D 10-22mm lens and 16 shots.
          QuickTime is needed to view it.
          http://www.camelpho <http://www.camelphotos.com/india2/pushkar4.html>
          tos.com/india2/pushkar4.html

        • panokaemena@mac.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
            For me the colours are perfect warm and sandy...

            Willy

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
              For this one I ran it through Neat Image (their free version) in
              auto to let it remove some of the grain before I sharpen it.

              In CS3 I go to Lab Color, Channels, Lightness, and Unsharp Mask
              45%, Radius 2.0 pixels, Threshold 2 levels. Then back to RGB color,
              up the Contrast a little and maybe adjust the Brightness some too.

              Then I may adjust the Saturation and Colors a little, but I skipped
              this last part because I can't tell with this new monitor.

              I used a Canon 20D, Canon 10-22mm lens and a 360P head shooting 16
              shots for this one, I removed the tripod and my shadow using
              CS3.

              > I really like that one, even better than the under-camel shot
              which I
              > liked a lot too. I dont know what the original colors were, but
              these
              > certainly look pleasing enough. What I liked most was the
              crispness of
              > focus, especially in the foreground. I've read some of your older
              > posts but have forgotten -- what lens did you use for this?
              >
              > -Matt

            • Sacha Griffin
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
                I think cs3 smart sharpen should be a bit better than the lossy lab method.

                However, as I recall 360 sphericals with the 10-22 took a LONG time to smart
                sharpen.

                If you must use the lab method, I think the best way to do it.. is to use
                that layer as a mask only on your sharpening layer.

                Then you won't need to use any of the converted-reconverted lab data for the
                rest of the image.

                Sacha Griffin
                www.southern-digital.com
                www.seeit360.net
                www.ezphotosafe.com
                404-551-4275
                404-731-7798

                _____

                For this one I ran it through Neat Image (their free version) in
                auto to let it remove some of the grain before I sharpen it.

                In CS3 I go to Lab Color, Channels, Lightness, and Unsharp Mask
                45%, Radius 2.0 pixels, Threshold 2 levels. Then back to RGB color,
                up the Contrast a little and maybe adjust the Brightness some too.

                Then I may adjust the Saturation and Colors a little, but I skipped
                this last part because I can't tell with this new monitor.

                I used a Canon 20D, Canon 10-22mm lens and a 360P head shooting 16
                shots for this one, I removed the tripod and my shadow using
                CS3.

                > I really like that one, even better than the under-camel shot
                which I
                > liked a lot too. I dont know what the original colors were, but
                these
                > certainly look pleasing enough. What I liked most was the
                crispness of
                > focus, especially in the foreground. I've read some of your older
                > posts but have forgotten -- what lens did you use for this?
                >
                > -Matt

              • Roger Berry
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
                  I went back and tried sharpening the photo with CS3 Smart Sharpen
                  and it looks much better now, it also worked fast. Of coarse with
                  more detail the file size also goes up when using the same settings
                  in Pano2QTVR.
                  The file size went from 1.53MB to 1.86MB.
                  Looking at the grass and the hillside temple I can really see the
                  difference. Here's how it looks now:
                  http://www.camelphotos.com/india2/pushkar4b.html

                  And this is how it looked before:
                  http://www.camelphotos.com/india2/pushkar4.html

                  I still need to go back and remove some shadows on this new one.

                  Thanks,
                  Roger

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin"
                  <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                  > I think cs3 smart sharpen should be a bit better than the lossy
                  lab method.

                  > However, as I recall 360 sphericals with the 10-22 took a LONG
                  time to smart
                  > sharpen.
                  >

                  > If you must use the lab method, I think the best way to do it.. is
                  to use
                  > that layer as a mask only on your sharpening layer.
                  >
                  > Then you won't need to use any of the converted-reconverted lab
                  data for the
                  > rest of the image.
                  >

                  > Sacha Griffin
                  > www.southern-digital.com
                  > www.seeit360.net
                  > www.ezphotosafe.com
                  > 404-551-4275
                  > 404-731-7798
                  >
                  > _____
                • matt_nolan_uaf
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
                    I agree -- the smart sharpen path does a much better job. Just take a
                    look at the two camels and bag of grain where the qtvr first shows up --
                    you can see a big difference in the brown camel's fir and in the grain
                    in the bag. Awesome.
                    -Matt
                  • Sacha Griffin
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 29, 2007
                      Yes,

                      However, the main issue there was not sharpening per se but in how the
                      sharpening shrugged off the jpg compression there.

                      Otherwise, different jpg levels were used, but I still see the same level of
                      artifacts so that's ruled out.

                      4b is better by a lot. Almost better enough to say that it could be a
                      different lens.

                      Sacha Griffin
                      www.southern-digital.com
                      www.seeit360.net
                      www.ezphotosafe.com
                      404-551-4275
                      404-731-7798

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                        As an alternative sharpening you might like to try this - make a
                        layer and apply a High Pass filter, blend it with Hard Light and then
                        adjust the layer opacity - somewhere between 65-80% depending on file
                        size. I do this as the last stage before converting to cube faces
                        and have found it give more flexibility than other methods.

                        regards

                        Bruce

                        Bruce Hemming
                        Bruce Hemming Photography
                        Tel: +44 (0)1580 200277
                        Mobile: +44 (0)7974 918414
                        e-Mail: bruce@...

                      • Chris Thomas
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                          Looks great on my calibrated screen Roger.

                          Very realistic for this time of day.

                          Chris Thomas

                          Photographer

                          cell... 403-615-1212

                          In North America

                          call... 1-800-870-5110

                          For this one I ran it through Neat Image (their free version) in
                          auto to let it remove some of the grain before I sharpen it.

                          In CS3 I go to Lab Color, Channels, Lightness, and Unsharp Mask
                          45%, Radius 2.0 pixels, Threshold 2 levels. Then back to RGB color,
                          up the Contrast a little and maybe adjust the Brightness some too.

                          Then I may adjust the Saturation and Colors a little, but I skipped
                          this last part because I can't tell with this new monitor.

                          I used a Canon 20D, Canon 10-22mm lens and a 360P head shooting 16
                          shots for this one, I removed the tripod and my shadow using
                          CS3.

                          snip

                          .

                          d=10631/stime=1183151820/nc1=4699084/nc2=4025338/nc3=3848640>

                        • Roger Berry
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                            I redid this pano of Pushkar from the beginning and also made it a
                            little brighter. With this new monitor which is very bight it's hard
                            to tell how things should be set for now. The color has also changed
                            on this remake, less red and maybe more yellow.
                            Anyway, here it is in a very large and fine detail at 6MB.
                            http://www.zebratalk.com/pushkar_camels.html

                            Roger
                            Http://CamelPhotos.com
                          • Sacha Griffin
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                              It looks excellent. Just what a 360 fullscreen should be.. making you feel
                              as if you were there.

                              2 Suggestions.

                              1. You're still clipping your shadows..The pure black camel should have some
                              detail.

                              Output less contrast with raw, use a little fill light, then use
                              shadows/highlights.

                              That should bring that back and you can up the contrast again.

                              2. Get a minidisk recorder! They are dirt cheap compared to mp3 recorders.

                              I bet it would be amazing to hear what's going on.

                              For the Samsung, I found its best to go to custom color, and magic bright to
                              custom.

                              Sacha Griffin
                              www.southern-digital.com
                              www.seeit360.net
                              www.ezphotosafe.com
                              404-551-4275
                              404-731-7798

                              _____

                              I redid this pano of Pushkar from the beginning and also made it a
                              little brighter. With this new monitor which is very bight it's hard
                              to tell how things should be set for now. The color has also changed
                              on this remake, less red and maybe more yellow.
                              Anyway, here it is in a very large and fine detail at 6MB.
                              http://www.zebratal <http://www.zebratalk.com/pushkar_camels.html>
                              k.com/pushkar_camels.html

                              Roger
                              Http://CamelPhotos. <Http://CamelPhotos.com> com

                            • Roger Berry
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                                I shoot to, Raw / Fine on my 20D. I normally just use the Fine JPG
                                photos. On this one I did use the Raw ones and saved them, As Shot /
                                TIF using CS3. I then used PTgui to stitch them, output TIF 16 bit,
                                PackBit, No alpha channel.
                                Then I open it in CS3 and do my adjustments, usually a little
                                sharpening, brightness / contrast and a little color adjustment in
                                saturation or color balance if needed.

                                I will try going back to the raw photos and see what I can do, It's
                                just one of the many things that I have not taken the time to learn
                                well. I still need to learn how to use my video editing programs,
                                finish updating my website, along with about 1,000 other things.
                                But it sure would be nice to get these 360 photos looking even
                                better.

                                I do have sound for these that I got with my Sony PD170 video
                                camera, so the quality should be very good.
                                Just need to learn how to remove the audio from the video. I know,
                                it's easy, but it's still something I haven't done before.

                                <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                                > It looks excellent. Just what a 360 fullscreen should be.. making
                                you feel
                                > as if you were there.
                                >
                                > 2 Suggestions.
                                >

                                > 1. You're still clipping your shadows..The pure black camel should
                                have some
                                > detail.
                                >
                                > Output less contrast with raw, use a little fill light, then use
                                > shadows/highlights.
                                >
                                > That should bring that back and you can up the contrast again.
                                >
                                > 2. Get a minidisk recorder! They are dirt cheap compared to mp3
                                recorders.

                                > I bet it would be amazing to hear what's going on.
                                >

                                > For the Samsung, I found its best to go to custom color, and magic
                                bright to
                                > custom.
                                >
                                > Sacha Griffin
                                > www.southern-digital.com
                                > www.seeit360.net
                                > www.ezphotosafe.com
                                > 404-551-4275
                                > 404-731-7798

                              • Roger Berry
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
                                  Ok, here's the new page with all of the people and camel sounds.
                                  http://www.zebratalk.com/pushkar_camels2.html

                                  Roger Berry
                                • Tom Lassiter
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 1, 2007
                                    I've always enjoyed Roger's work, but with sound .... wow! Excellent!

                                    --
                                    Tom Lassiter

                                    Westridge VR
                                    http://www.lassiter.com/vr/exp7.html