Using RAW images directly

  • Rodrigo Alarcon-Cielock
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2007
      Dear Members,

      Up to now I have been using the following work flow to produce my
      panoramas, shoot the images in RAW format, correct them in CS ie CA,
      WB, etc, and then saving them as .TIF 16 bits.
      In view that CS creates a companion file with all the changes that you
      have done to that particular image, it has occured to me that if your
      stitching software or HDR software supports the input of RAW format,
      you could import into the software the complete files, including the
      corrections, to work directly with the RAW file therefore avoiding the
      necessity to transform to .tif prior to stiching, hence using the full
      data included in the original RAW photo.
      Any comments?

      kind regards,

      Rodrigo
    • Pat Swovelin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 28, 2007
        On 6/28/2007 12:56 AM, Rodrigo Alarcon-Cielock rambled on about ...:
        > Dear Members,
        >
        > Up to now I have been using the following work flow to produce my
        > panoramas, shoot the images in RAW format, correct them in CS ie CA,
        > WB, etc, and then saving them as .TIF 16 bits.
        > In view that CS creates a companion file with all the changes that you
        > have done to that particular image,

        CS only creates a sidecar file (as Adobe calls it) IF you change the
        settings from the default Save to Database option. Saving that data to
        an external file is obviously the way to go because it allows you to
        keep that data with the image vs. buried in a database that's
        who-knows-where 5 years from now.

        > it has occured to me that if your
        > stitching software or HDR software supports the input of RAW format,
        > you could import into the software the complete files, including the
        > corrections, to work directly with the RAW file therefore avoiding the
        > necessity to transform to .tif prior to stiching, hence using the full
        > data included in the original RAW photo.

        You'd still need to do those adjustments on at least 1 image to set them
        for that particular group of pano images.

        > Any comments?

        This is a good idea but not easily implementable because of all the
        things that go on during the conversion from RAW to whatever format you
        use. Look at all of the after-market RAW converters out there. Every
        one of them KNOWS he's doing it better than the next guy (who's thinking
        the exact same thing). Adding something like this to a stitcher (e.g.,
        PTGui, PTMac, Hugin, etc.) is probably more trouble than it's worth.

        Darn it.

        > kind regards,
        >
        > Rodrigo

        Pat Swovelin