[PanoToolsNG] OT? Mircosoft Photosynth - 360 without stitching

  • Michael Hansky
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31 1:57 AM
      http://labs.live.com/photosynth/

      Interessting idea .... worth a discussion....

      http://phototour.cs.washington.edu/applet/index.html

      Michael Hansky
      INXS Media
    • Bert Vierstra
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31 2:29 AM
        On 7/31/06, Michael Hansky <michael@...> wrote:
        > http://labs.live.com/photosynth/

        > http://phototour.cs.washington.edu/applet/index.html

        Very interesting stuff.

        I also said some time earlier that is without stitching, but its not.
        There is some form of "stitching" , the images are aligned with
        control points actually.

        The stitching will be online however, as far as I know.

        The concept is great, integrating it with flickr (and Live Local) will
        no doubt make it a success...

        The user interface will need to grow, and a bit more easy..... Speed
        is ok, here behind my 512kb sat connection.... and 3.6 ghz 2MB
        machine... Sun Java VM...

        With the data they have, it should be possible to stitch a real pano.....

        Next step will be shooting pano's , let say at 100m intervals, and
        "stitch" those into a pano where you can move through....

        Ah, we are still at the beginning of true VR environments..... but one day...

        Anyone already spotted a RealViz Google Earth Pano?

        --
        best regards,

        Bert Vierstra

        http://www.360rage.com/
        http://www.bali3d.com/
      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31 2:31 AM
          reminds me of an article/demo I made a few years back
          http://www.culture.com.au/virtual/vrml/vrmlpano.htm

          if one knows how a sequence of panoramas are positioned in space
          viewpoint-wise then an animated character apparently walking around
          in one panorama can walk into a second panorama -- and appear in the
          correct position in the second panorama etc etc

          so cinematic cross-cutting of action between panoramas is enabled ---
          so you could have a "movie" consisting of a series of panoramas
          photographed in the same general locale with the same character(s)
          walking in and between the panoramas -- with each panorama being
          navigable

          at the time I wrote this it wasnt so easy to calibrate each pano
          position but now it is simpler

          Peter
          http://www.mediavr.com/blog

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hansky <michael@...>
          wrote:

          > http://labs.live.com/photosynth/
          >

          > Interessting idea .... worth a discussion....
          >

          > http://phototour.cs.washington.edu/applet/index.html
          >

          > Michael Hansky
          > INXS Media

        • Andrei Zdetovetchi
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31 2:52 AM
            Well, then how about this:
            http://www.neustep.com/

            Regards,
            Andrei Z.

            wrote:

            > http://labs. live.com/ photosynth/
            >

            > Interessting idea .... worth a discussion.. ..
            >

            > http://phototour. cs.washington. edu/applet/ index.html
            >

            > Michael Hansky
            > INXS Media

          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31 3:14 AM
              re neustep
              I think this is shot with a video camera array (or two opposed 180
              fisheye/digital slr) -- each pano is then calibrated so that the pano
              is level and parallel or smoothly changing yaw-wise from the
              preceding one
              ie. it is a stabilized sequence of panos
              ie. they are calibrated re r, y, p but not x, y, z
              -- so all that can be done user-wise is travel back an forward in the
              sequence
              -- it is identical to Smoothmove (Infinite Pictures) technology user-
              wise

              here is another (more general) article I wrote some time back (for an
              academic report) -- the section on panoramas as virtual sets (and
              links) has some more remarks on spatializing panoramas
              http://users.bigpond.net.au/virtual/reportxx.htm

              Peter
              http://www.mediavr.com/blog

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Andrei Zdetovetchi <zdeto@...>
              wrote:

              > Well, then how about this:
              > http://www.neustep.com/
              >

              > Regards,
              > Andrei Z.

            • Bjørn K Nilssen
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 31 4:13 AM
                On 31 Jul 2006 at 17:29, Bert Vierstra wrote:

                > Ah, we are still at the beginning of true VR environments..... but one day...

                I don't know about that. Many years ago IMO we were at the begging of VR environments,
                with the VRML format and technology, but then unfortunately everything seems to have
                vaporized into lots of proprietary formats and technologies. Very sad IMHO.
                Many years ago we also had the Viewpoint technology (VET) which got MetaCreations so
                excited that they sold out all their good programs, including Painter and Canoma (which
                was bought by Adobe, and killed right away - which was very, very sad!) to focus solely
                on VET. Where is VET today?

                > Anyone already spotted a RealViz Google Earth Pano?

                What do you mean by that? A Realviz Stitcher pano viewable from inside GE?
                Or a VTour "pano" 3D model incorporated into GE?
                GE is indeed very exciting, but unfortunately quite buggy and fragile. I have been
                testing the new texturing capability in the new version (beta), but it seems to be very
                random if the texture is shown or not. I have made 3D models in GE with (external) links
                to panos, but am not aware of that it's possible to directly show a pano inside the GE
                main window. Of course you could also make a flipped sphere and apply a pano texture to
                it, and place the camera in the center. But it would lose its magic as soon as the user
                moves the camera. I haven't tested it though. Maybe I should? I don't even know if GE
                renders all polys as double-sided..
                --
                bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen http://bknilssen.no/
                Kristiansand, Norway
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 31 12:10 PM
                  Simply what I'm trying to do since 3 years...
                  :-(